Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahhhhhhh - possible great 356 deal falls in lap - dang it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahhhhhhh - possible great 356 deal falls in lap - dang it.

Yeah, I know, what have I got to complain about? I had a '63 Damen that ran absolutely fantastically and was in tattered condition so I'd drive it anywhere and everywhere and park it anywhere - something I won't do with my other cars. I had it. I enjoyed it. And I sold it. I just had too many cars, and no place to put them. I had to get one of them in hands that would take care of it. It couldn't be the fully restored, 135hp special Sunbeam Alpine I've had for 28 years (more hp/lb than a Tiger). It couldn't be the completely original '73 911 I've had for 18 years, with original paint and interior in great shape. And, it couldn't be the Boxster S I had because I have to have something modern to get me around, still under warranty and a blast now that I have the factory sport exhaust on it. So, sadly, it had to be the 356 that I only had for a couple of years.

Now I'm minding my own business driving down the street and what should I see? A very clean looking 356 in a garage with the owner working in the garage. I pulled up to chat. Turns out its got less than 50,000 original miles and he is the second owner, owning it for 30 years. He's older, doesn't drive it anymore, it needs a new battery and he's about ready to sell it.

I mean, how can I pass up such an opportunity???? But, my wife will kill me if I show up with another car - and I still have the problem that I simply have no place to put it. But, an original paint/interior 356!!!!

That said, I did tell him NOT to call me anytime soon and to enjoy the heck out of it first.

I know, I'm not going to get any sympathy from anyone here. Nor is anyone going to offer to build me an extra garage or provide funds to be the next keeper of the car.

Stay tuned. It might be a long time before he actually calls. And, if he does, and I'm not going to go for it, I'll certainly give you guys his number!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:57 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I know, I'm not going to get any sympathy from anyone here. Nor is anyone going to offer to build me an extra garage or provide funds to be the next keeper of the car."

Hey Jay, I feel for ya! You can store the car indoors here in Bama + lotsa nice roads & light traffic. It won't cost you a thing - I'll make sure it stays in running condition, ready to go (fly in & drive to Tail of the Dragon, Barber, Road Atlanta, the Gulf...) - well, maybe 50% equity... Btw, what street did you say you were driving on? Anyway, good luck w/ the scheming & raiding the piggy bank - does your wife like diamonds? & what model, motor, color, etc - we all like to dream... good luck!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:57 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Tell you what - since I am such a nice guy that thinks of others, I will make you a deal. You can buy it and have it shipped to me, I will keep it clean and keep the cobwebs blown out of it. And since I have the factory manuals, Harry Pellow books/tapes, and plenty of tools...........it will have a good home.

You know, since I am such a nice guy and all........
Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

You can't store it here.... we don't have enough room as it is....

Hopefully someone else won't come along and "Steal" the car away from under you. If you like it make sure you stay in touch with the guy until he is ready then JUMP!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get the problem. I have a single garage and 4 roadworthy Porsches (don't ask about the projects) Currently three of them live full time in the Garage at work.

When the good will runs out there .....I'll find somewhere.....Or else I will have to move house to one with real parking space.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

do what I'm doing
Hide it. Make it a secret. I bought an 89' volvo and my parents sort of freaked out when I put forward the idea (they are worried I'll get a lemon blah blah) so I left it in a neighbour's garage down the street
just store it.
Or, better yet, give her the boxster
Or something.

Oubviously, you've done well in life and clearly, the question of cost is not a big one. so is a 356 worth what a new kitchen is worth?
ahaha

manipulate and just do it!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Ugh. I've had a picture of my former 356 up on my screen all day:

Old 09-20-2006, 09:33 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Oh Oh,
You know whwt it means when you start staring at pictures of your old car??
It means you are really ready for another one!!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 PM
356wannabe
Advanced

I too am a real nice guy, so give me his name/address/phone & I will make sure he never bothers you about the car.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

wifes can be replaced, all original 40 year old porsches can too - but they cost a lot less!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jay: My former '62 S90 coupe w/sunroof looked enough like yours to almost be the same car! I wouldn't let our girl (pic below) ride in it, somehow I think that I should have!
Pete
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Ahhhhhhh - possible great 356 deal falls in lap - dang it.