I am back !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Default I am back !!

I am back to the 356 world.. Kinda !! It's a 912!

I'm going to the DMV and ask for a vanity plate that reads 356 D because that is what this car is and only porsche heads will see the humor ! I love it... Long list of to-do's but I'm infatuated !

As you can see I waited a whole 6 minutes before swapping headlights, too !!

The rear has original louvers in the rear, not stock, nor useful (the vents do not reach the motor compartment), but they might grow on me !

PS: I bought the car (a 912) on 9/12 ! You do not make up stuff like that !
Old 09-13-2006, 10:14 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

fine looking 69 nine dozen!!! you should really look into joining the 912 registry, and check out the 912 forums on www.912bbs.org.

welcome back to the porsche world, and welcome to the world of the 912s

btw, what the heck kind of exhaust is that? certainly doesnt look stock, or like a bursch.. and the tail pipe looks a bit long too
Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

I have no idea harry, I was more focused on the artistic louvers than on the exhaust, and truth be told I have no idea what should be there... A twin exhaust, stock 356 style ? but it really pulls stronger than I recall my 356A (with a 912 motor) ever did ! It sounds damn better too, so I might leave that exhaust in place.

Maybe it's the webbers, maybe it's the chassis that feels stiffer and communicates acceleration feelings better...

I love this car, very good deal too - Porsche Karma is finally going my way ! I have a long laundry list, beginning with those limp mirrors (and obviously the one punched in the wrong spot on the passenger door), an electric fuel pump that ticks annoyingly (back to stock mechanical, thanks), a gazilion front end bushings/steering/alignment/balancing/tire issues, but it's got no rust to speak of and it runs beautifully, I can't recall being that excited about a car in a long time !

I have not pused it hard yet, but while it's obviously less powerful and les thoraty than my departed spliced 73T, it feels more balanced thanks to less weight in the *** ! ;-) It'll do !!!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:54 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

YIPEEEEE Greg!!!!

Less weight in the *** is always better

Jo

PS: HARRY!!!! Where the heck have you been????
Old 09-14-2006, 01:18 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

no, a twin exhaust would be wrong. either a stock 912 exhaust (its a single tip exhaust with a large round can ala stock 356), or a bursch is good too.

never seen those louvers on a 912.. not stock, but extremely cool!

for mirrors i recomend the talbot mirrors with convex lenses. looks really cool and correct. the aftermarket stock mirrors are really POS and cheep.. dont work well either. definitly go back to stock mechanical pump.. i just switched from electronic to mechanical and i love it. webbers arent better than stock solexes. if you get a set of solexes remanufactured with new butterflies etc, it will be better than webbers. most people went to webers because their solexes were worn out and didnt want to bother with getting them remanufactured. that and people dont have the patience to tune solexes. when properly set up though the solexes will smoke webbers.

get it over 5000 rpms, where it really sings.. you will never go back!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Hey Jo! been busy working my *** off and climbing the corporate ladder. lots of meetings with clients, and department stuff going on. Also i have been getting prepped to take over for my bosses position for the last few mos.. the last few weeks ive been going through alot of interviews for his position. tomarrow looks like the last interview, and its between me and teh other guy. im the underdog in a sense, but i like that.. like al pacino said in the devils advocate 'im the hand up mona lisa's skirt.. they dont see me comming'. in all reality the other guy has been there a bit longer and knows a bit more on the tech side of things than i do. but i know how to work with people, i always meet my deadlines, and i can get accounts wrapped around my finger pretty easily. if there is a problem i always fix it, and they always leave our meetings pleased. thats somthing he lacks at. like i said, i feel good about it. and if this doesnt pan through, i know somthing else is right around the corner.

oh. i also spent the last 2 weeks of august in california. flew out, rented a car, and hung out with all the 912 guys i could. was as far south as Jack Staggs shop in san clamente, and as far north as paso robles, including 4 days at the 912 rendezvous in SLO.. best time i ever had and i didnt even drive out or have the 912 with me although a friend of mine let me drive her 69 912 targa for a day.. bone stock, extremely well prepared. i have never driven a car that handles this well.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a point on the fuel pump, you should research to find out exactly what kind of flow you need for the thirsty Webers and possible cams in there. Given your comment that the car has more power than your last 912, and the Webers, exhaust and even fuel pump, it seems this car's engine might be somewhat modified. So, if that particular pump was chosen to match the higher needs of the car, you might do more harm than good to eliminate the clicking. On the flip side, you do need to make sure you don't get too much pressure, and may want a pressure regulator.

That all said, on my Weber'd, cammed, hi-flow headed car with solid state fuel pump (not a Porsche), my pump was too loud and I got one of those rubber isolator fuel pump mounts and it solved the problem. Pegasus Racing is where I got mine.

Jay
Old 09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay, good points... I've also read that some who want to keep the oem pump keep or install an elect one for back-up & priming. We must keep driven'em - esp this Sat.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

a stock fuel pump provides more than adequate fuel preassure for webbers.

Quick Reply: I am back !!