Sponsored by:

My first 356

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:59 PM
camchain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,
You have received a treasure. I hope that you will have the best, most accurate restoration possible done on your car. John Wilhoit is perfect for the job. With the car being gifted to you, you should never be upside down financially. Even if you couldn't get all your money back right away who cares? You will always have a very special car indeed. Best of luck and congratulations.
Ron Hetherington
Denver

Last edited by camchain; 07-22-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 PM
alarti
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations!
I second Ron's comments. Sure the car will need a bit of work and care to get it to the level that you might want but WOW look at the beautiful car you are starting with...(I am very, very weak for As and pre-As)
Enjoy the car and the restoration process.

Andres
Old 07-27-2006, 04:17 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I would keep that car stock. That's just me though....I fail to see the point of taking a 356- especially a rarer A- and modifying it extensively.

Good luck with her!
-Andrew
Old 07-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Bob M
Instructor

Default Inspection Report and New Pics

Hello Everyone,
I finally got to see my 356 this past Thursday before heading back to Michigan. John Wilhoit was able to come give his opinion as to condition etc. Thanks John!

In brief, John confirmed that it was a numbers matching 60hp car. The rust issues seemed to be minimal -- the floor was in good condition and the rust that was evident, was in the usual places. We could not open the bonnet, as it was frozen shut, so could not inspect battery box and other boot areas. All in all, he said this 356 was in good condition for an un-restored car of this vintage but that it was in need of everything. As a project car, he said that it was as good as it gets.

From a money perspective, he said the typical full restoration he does on a car in this condition would take on average 1000 hours of work at a cost of around 100K. Both of those figures would vary with what they found as they got into the car. The value afterward would, as one would expect, be less than what was put into it -- probably in the $70K range. I asked him about the cost of doing an outlaw and the resulting value. He said that the costs would be similar if not a bit more to do an outlaw, depending on what engine etc went into it. If done well, the outlaw version would likely be worth more than a showroom stock restoration. JoAnne, I think your own experience with Max, bears this out.

So, there you have it. If I just wanted a daily driver, I would be better off selling this car as is and looking for a car that someone else put their blood sweat, tears and money into, but I cannot sell this car. That is not possible for many reasons, the most important being the sentimental value this car represents to me and the friend who gave it to me -- a project is the only option.

Many thanks to all of you who have voiced opinions and given me advice. I appreciate it and will keep them all in mind as I make the decision as to direction. I will of course, keep you updated as this car transitions from the current discovery phase into an active project.

Bob
PS: Here are some pictures I took last Thursday.
Attached Images           
Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 PM
mborkow
Drifting

$100k is a lot of $, but she sure is pretty to look at.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:38 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

That's a nice find but almost one you wished you hadn't found, I bet. When do you retire? That could make a nice full time job if you had the time. Seriously, I'll bet you could do a lot of the restoration work yourself and save a bundle, but obviously it would take some years and many, many weekends. Good luck with your decisions.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:11 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

That car really isn't in as bad of shape as I would have thought all things considered.

Here is my take, and take it for the $.02 that it is worth--

Get the bonnet open, find what needs to be done, and deal with ALL the rust. All of it. The body looks to still be in good shape. It will probably need pans, a battery box, some other things, get that stuff taken care of. Get the motor into a running condition. Basically spend the $10K or so it may take to get the car on the road.

Drive it weekly. Enjoy it. Strip the paint down and drive around with it primered if you feel like it. Just get the thing running. Then, over the years, do the projects one at a time. You will be putting as much money into it as the car is appreciating, if not less cash into it. Then, keep doing this until you want to finish the car or sell on [at a profit most likely] to someone who will put the boot into it and throw all the money for a full resto down at once.

The most important thing is getting the body straight and rust-free, and getting it safe to drive. Once you take her out, you won't care how bad the interior looks [get some seat covers and a dash cover], or what the paint looks like because you will LOVE the car.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:24 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cole, great advice - exactly how I'd proceed (& have on occasion, since I didn't have a spare $100K burning a hole...)!
stabilize the chassis rust issues & get it on the road - drive it - then decide what to do - the car, & your response to it, will reveal all & a course of action will ensue. congrats & enjoy!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:28 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ventoGT
You will be putting as much money into it as the car is appreciating, if not less cash into it. Then, keep doing this until you want to finish the car or sell on [at a profit most likely]
I agree with most of what people said, except for anything to do with expecting to make any money. The only way to make money is to sell it as is.

I'd say if it has sentimental value, put some money into it to get it decent and enjoy. But do not put a dime into the car if you expect the dime to become eventually become a quarter
Old 08-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

http://www.sloancars.com/vs1/detail.asp?CarID=150

hmmm
outlaws seem to be holding value OK

but darn, she really does look GREAT - fix the rust, take care of that, make it safe to drive and get it running on the 60hp motor. then decide. What would your friend want, an outlaw, all originality? Or would he want you to do whatever and just enjoy it?
If you drive it around on the current motor you'll decide what you want, if you want more power or like how it is, as is.
Either way, enjoy it.

For the record, a local guy here drives his 356 coupe every single day - beautiful car, although the paint has began to bubble in one spot on the fender and so he'll be visiting that panel soon.
he loves it. He did the same thing, he has a nice plaque on the dash, that says 'in memory of my friend ___________"
Your friend wanted you to enjoy the car. Keep it for some time, and do whatever with it, and drive it regularly. And make sure the next person who receives it after you will be someone who loves it just as much.

Enjoy.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Bob M
Instructor

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I will likely go the route most of you suggested, with the first step being to just get the car running again. I'll let you know how that goes and will likely have a bunch of questions for you along the way. And, sorry for the late reply, my travel schedule has been a mess lately, including having to spend the night in baggage claim on my way back from CA, including having my laptop stolen to make it all the more memorable. Had to leave for NY last week without a replacement. Isn’t business travel grand?!

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 08-07-2006, 01:30 AM
bugnbox
Advanced

Default Wow

The car looks great...what a gift ! I agree whole heartedly with the get it running and enjoy it as is sentiment, thats what I have done mith mine. Oh sure a full restoration will happen someday but I sure enjoy the faded paint and patina of an unrestored car...and you wont freak out if some schmuck at the grocery store opens his door into it.

Quick Reply: My first 356