Sponsored by:

GmundWest 2006

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Michael Jekot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GmundWest 2006

Anyone from Minneapolis headed out to this event in Colorado?
June 25th.... Best event out there.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:01 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're driving in from KC - see you there!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Brett Matthews
Pro

There is a fellow from Minn., who is stopping overnight in Lincoln, Neb., Wednesday evening. I am to meet them there @ 8 A.M. Thursday morn, and caravaning in from there....
Old 06-19-2006, 08:16 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

We'll be there..............
JoAnne
No we won't. We had to change our plans thanks to mother nature. They are calling for heavy rain, baseball sized hail and chance of tornadoes covering the entire state of Kansas tomorrow. We do not want to be driving through that mess. and the forecast appears to be the same for the drive back on Monday. No thank you...............

Maybe Next Year. Those of you already there or going later this weekend. HAVE FUN!!!!!

Last edited by RJT; 06-21-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM
camchain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Special thanks to the Maybees. What an incredable day - hundreds of Porsche vehicles. Porsche AG, PCNA, local PCA, 356 Registry, 928 Registry, Porsche tractor Registry and others all came together for a great time. Literally every model of porsche street car and tractor could be seen. Wonderful setting, great food, fun people and the best hosts imaginable. The first photo shows George's shop which was styled after the first Porsche design studio in Gmund with 356/2-17 in the forground.

Last edited by camchain; 12-14-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:35 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

It was a terrific event - well worth the drive - thanks to all the volunteers and the Maybee's for a fantastic day!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
pmotts
Burning Brakes

I drove there from Portland Oregon and it was worth every mile.

The 356 pictured in the top picture was #14 from the Gmund factory. Too cool.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:41 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe we should have braved the golfball sized hail in Kansas........

Looks like it was a great event!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
pmotts
Burning Brakes

I don't think so .
I have never seen hail any larger than pea sized, seriously.

Originally Posted by RJT
Maybe we should have braved the golfball sized hail in Kansas........
Looks like it was a great event!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh boy we have seen some big hail around here in R Can Saw!!! Seriously we've had Baseball sized hail and we got a new roof on our 5 year old house because of it. That one terrible hail storm literally stripped the leaves off of the trees. Luckily we were not home when it hit or our truck would also have been damaged like our neighbors was. We were on the other side of town and decided to wait it out instead of driving into to try to get home. When we did get home an hour later the hail was still on the ground and had melted to the size of hand *****. It was surreal. So anyway, when the weather service started predicting golfball sized hail in Kansas during our planned drive, we said, no way. We didn't want to have to put in a claim for hail damage on the car too!!!!

You guys on the West Coast have it made. You can drive your Porsche's year round (except in the rain, of course..... )
Old 06-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Brett Matthews
Pro

My whole weekend was a GREAT time!
Friday was up into the high Rockies with the 928 group, Saturday was the tech session at Paragon Motors ( Thanks Guys! ), and then the track event at the racing go-kart facility ( FUN stuff! ), Sunday was this event, where I got to finally see the Oslo Blue I think I wish to have my '56 painted, met several 356 ENTHUSIASTS and Chuck House ( FRIENDLY fellow! ), bought a wiring 3-ring binder from a vendor, a pin to place onto my Porsche cap, saw a whole lotta tractors in one place, and a great showing of pretty tubs!

NICE event! Need to keep an eye on when it'll happen again...

Yeah, I was listening to the radio, and the weather service imposed themselves talking about a storm system actually putting down 2-3 inch + hailstones north of Salina, and heading south-south east towards Salina, which was where I was planning to stop for the night.... I just put the pedal down and kept heading west, FAST! Finished the day in Hays, where it still rained a bit, but just behind me on the road, the lightening DANCED!!!!!! WHAT a light show!

BTW, Denver to Columbus in less than 24 hrs..... Construction and all....
Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Brett, sounds like a wonderful time!! I'm gonna have to join you next year
Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Brett Matthews
Pro

Sorry Harry,
There isn't a "next year". From what I heard, the people who own the home/shop/land, hold this event every two years. And, ONE day only.

'Twas a VERY friendly group! I did NOT encounter any snobishness at all, unlike some events where the new-car-yuppies "had the best".... There was even a Karman Ghia there, NICE looking car!

I am a car guy, I like ALL sorts of vehicles; You have one that you've obviously loved and taken some care of, I appreciate that!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:07 PM
pmotts
Burning Brakes

Yep, every other year for 1 day, from 5:30 am till 1 pm. This is an event every porsche lover needs to attend at least once.

Originally Posted by Brett Rickman
Sorry Harry,
There isn't a "next year". From what I heard, the people who own the home/shop/land, hold this event every two years. And, ONE day only.

'Twas a VERY friendly group! I did NOT encounter any snobishness at all, unlike some events where the new-car-yuppies "had the best".... There was even a Karman Ghia there, NICE looking car!

I am a car guy, I like ALL sorts of vehicles; You have one that you've obviously loved and taken some care of, I appreciate that!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:11 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

from what I heard during the presentation, the Maybee's weren't sure if they were going to put on another event or not - they said maybe in a few years, or maybe this was the last one - either way, we had a great time in 2004 and again this year.

Quick Reply: GmundWest 2006