Sponsored by:

356 clone or the real deal...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, this is quite a thread.

When I saw Baggerdude's initial post, I didn't think too many on this board were going to tell him to go ahead and get a replica. After all, most, if not all of you own a real 356, and chose to buy the real thing rather than a replica. And those of you who are happy with your purchase and still own the 356 are posting on this board. The ones that realized it wasn't for them have moved on and aren't here to tell Baggerdud of their tale.

I own neither a 356 or a replica of one, but I've looked into having a custom replica built by Intermeccanica using 911 suspension, engine, transmission, etc. There are a few individuals who have such cars (I believe IM has built more than a dozen) and they just rave about them, as do owners of VW-engined IM's. I've heard outstanding things about IM and the quality of their vehicles. Anyone wishing to find out more may visit www.speedsterowners.com and see what others have said about them.

Why would I consider such a replica, especially when it is likely to cost in the range of an original? I really like the look of the Convertible D, but I also like having more power, air conditioning and not having a 47 year old car. A high quality replica is like having your cake and eating it too. Will people at the gas station ask me if it's the real thing? Maybe, but so what? Will an IM increase in value the way a real 356 is likely to? Definitely not. In the end, as with many things in life, there are trade-offs.

Quick Reply: 356 clone or the real deal...?