Sponsored by:

Looking at 1961 356 Hard top

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Rhino
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking at 1961 356 Hard top

I am looking at a 1961 356 hard top. It needs a complete restoration. It has been sitting outside under a platic trap for about 15 years in a wet/dry climate. There is rust every where and I do not know what the underside looks like yet. It does not run. The person selling it is the second owner. The car has all parts including extra pistons, some susspension parts. I have often thought about getting into a restoration project but before I make a move like that I wanted to get some expert advice from all of you.

What is this car worth in its current condition?
How long would a project like this take?
How expensive could this project become?
Is this worth pursuing?
What quesitons should I be asking the owner?

I will get pictures of the car and post them if that will help.

Thanks for your time
Rhino
Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Not sure if you are saying "hard top" meaning it's a coupe and not a Cabriolet or if you are saying it's a Notchback.
Either way, full resto on a very rusty car is usually not for the first timer IMO.
Not saying that you couldn't or shouldn't do it! But to answer some of your questions......
1. Current Value?
Current value could be as little as a grand (or less) if it is really as rusty as you say it is. You can bet money that if the topside is rusty, the bottom will be even rustier.
2. How long?
How old are you? J/K, but I know guys that have worked on projects for most of their lives and they are still not done!
3.How expensive?
You will spend way more in restoration than the car will be worth when you are done, especially if it is a Notchback.
4.Is it worth pursuing?
See above....Only you can answer this.
5.What should I ask the owner?
How much will you charge me to haul it away!

Seriously, I'm a believer in ALL 356s should be rescued and brought back to life. But that can be easier said than done. This car may or may not be one of those. If it has more surface rust and not real cancer eating away at it, it may not be that bad. A pic or two would help in determining the situation a little better.

Robert
Old 01-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Rhino
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info and humor. I will get some pictures and get back with you. The hard top does come off so I guess that it is a Notch Back. It looks like a Coupe but there are two levers just under the windshield that allow you to remove the top. I am not sure if I even want to get into a project like this. I personally would not be doing the work but would find an expert to do it.
Thanks
Rhino
Old 01-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Rhino...it's a Cabriolet with a removable hard top!!!! The Karmann Notchbacks'top is welded...you can't remove...a Cabriolet is a totally different game and you'll probably get at least even after restoration...still hard work but it's worth it!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it in or around santa cruz ?
I don't want / need a 356 project , but I'd like to have a look see .

Quick Reply: Looking at 1961 356 Hard top