How does this car look?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:14 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this car look?

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...id/225378#calc

Hi All--never posted over here but have started looking around for fun at 356s...I would definitely like to have one someday if I can get it at the right price and if it is in good enough condition [wouldn't want concours or anything, a driver that is fun and reliable [for a 356 anyway ]

Was just wondering if anyone had any input on this car and/or had experience with this dealer. On another note, there is a guy up here in Norcross, GA that does restorations on 356s and also works on the cars. I saw him driving a gorgeous 356C Coupe about 3 months ago but can't remember the name of the establishment if anyone here knows

Any comments, gotchas, look out fors, avoids, etc are greatly appreciated!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:06 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

If it's a 58, why does it have a personalized plate that says "59 POR"???
Doesn't look too bad for 23K though. REALLY nice A coupes are going for twice this amount and more.
Check out www.356sales.com Bob has a very similar car but in much nicer condition for a grand more! Mid 20s buys you a fairly decent driver but you can easily drop another 20 if you want to (or need to).
Only advice I would offer is don't buy the first car you see, although you might come back to it after looking at a bunch of them because it really was the best one! Do your homework on the difference between A's and C's and PreA's and B's etc. Be prepared to spend more than just the purchase price. Join the 356 Registry. www.356registry.org
And welcome to the 356 family......well potentially anyway.

Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Robert! What is the deal with the front bumper on that 356sales.com site? Never seen one like that before...What are the differences between A, B, and C, at least on a grand scale?

I need to be disciplined not to just drop $$ on a car I don't know much about

I think I will join the registry

Edit: I am reading the first page of the registry about the differences in cars, so it will probably take me all day to figure out some of the changes between models

Last edited by ventoGT; 12-14-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Cole...I'll second all that Robert said and I'd say you must buy James Schrader's book "Buying , driving and enjoying the Porsche 356"...it's super fun to read and it's the best way for a beginner to start understanding these cars...a 356registry's membership is also "priceless"...
Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Cole,
The bumper you are refering to is the US spec "overriders". To meet safety ride height regs back then, Porsche added these to prevent other cars' bumpers from going over the lower bumpers and damaging the body. Through the years people that did not care for the looks, removed them. Now days if you are trying to restore a car to factory specs that include the overriders, it might not be so easy to find them in very good condition.
There are subtle, and not so sublte differences between A,B and C cars. It's basically just the evolution of the 356 kinda like an early 911 evolving into an SC, Carrera, 993 etc. The C cars, 64 & 65, are known as the most "refined" of the 356s with disc brakes and the more power. But earlier cars can be updated if you want more power or better brakes. My favorites are the A cars. They have a slightly more rounded body, or a less "refined" look than the later cars. It's really a personal preference as to which car is right for you.
356s are not about horsepower and 0-60 times. They are about having fun and smiling ear to ear when you're behind the wheel.

Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Stratman
Racer

According to the Maestro if I recall the S engines had a silver fan shroud.

Quick Reply: How does this car look?