Sponsored by:

How do luggage staps work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:07 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do luggage staps work?

How do internal luggage straps attach to the luggage hooks? I am attaching a photo of the 356 straps and hooks and just can't figure how they attach to each other.
Many thanks, ASV
Attached Images   
Old 11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Never used the straps in my C coupe - I was usually stuck in the back along with luggage

Anyway, 2 of the fasteners go below the edge of the seat, the other 2 above where the seat top is when it folds up, luggage goes on the "shelf" (seat backs down) and it is then strapped in place. If I remember I'll take a pic of the brackets on my original C coupe
Old 11-10-2005, 02:01 PM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Default That's understood

That's understood. Luggage straps are there to hold down the luggage on the rear shelf and you too, if you happen to be sitting there!
The question is different: How do the straps attach to the hooks?
The straps end in a solid metal semi-circle. The hooks are screwed into the car's body. How do you get the end of the straps into the hooks? Is there a "dongle" that connects the two? Otherwise how do you hook them together? Are they permanently attached?Thanks, ASV
Old 11-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah... no idea. I'd post to 356talk and ask, or check Brett Johnson's book on restoration, authenticity, etc.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:43 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

The straps don't actually "attach" to the brackets. They just loop through them, and the belt is secured in the metal buckle that is part of the belt. It goes through one buckle and is pulled back onto it self. Wow, it's alot easier to do than it is to explain how it's done!
Hope this helps. I'll think about it and see if I can describe it any better.

Robert

OK.... now that I look closer at your pics of the belts you have, they appear different than the ones I have had in the past. I need to think some more.....
I've been burning leaves today and the smoke has me a little fuzzy between the ears!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:34 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i left the cord for my digital camera at my parents house. i will head there tonight, then i will upload pics for you. i have these exact ones on my 912.

like rjt said you loop em..

ok lay one strap out length wise.. one end has a metal hoop. in the middle is a buckle where two halves are attached. the other end has the leather somming up and around going through another buckle to make another loop.

the one end as you can see doesnt have a buckle (it has a metal hoop).. un buckle it in the middle, put one end through the bottom hook.. then thread that middle end through that loop (like a slip knot kinda dealy on the bottom hook)

next half should have a buckle at the top unbuckle that and loop it through the top hook, and re buckle.

now buckle both ends at the middle. if this is fuzzy, lay one strap out and look at it. it will come to you.

again.. ill see if i can get pics posted tonight.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:19 PM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Thank you gentlemen for your help. Now, I get it... ASV

Quick Reply: How do luggage staps work?