Sponsored by:

newbie 356 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before buying, talk, in person, to as many owners as you can. I strongly advise that you attend the All Porsche Ventura show on 10-11 September. There will be a bunch of us 356ers there. OK gang, where are we meeting for that beer on Saturday with our thongs and the "R" on our foreheads?

I advise that if you are looking for a driver, go for the '64 or '65 models. I have had earlier models, and I believe that this later "C" series sorted out some of the earlier quirks regarding engines and transmissions. Having said that, the "A" models do have a particular appearance loved by many. I have no hesitance about driving my '64 coupe on any highway in the US. It does get a bit hot in Central California in the summer, but the son-of-a bitch does ALWAYS start and keeps running forever. They are extremely reliable. We are spoiled with modern air-conditioned cars. But in San Diego, with an open car, you will be simply in Heaven. And I will argue about the need for high octane gas. With 8.5 compression in a non-tweaked car, I say regular 87 octane is just fine.

BTW, I also drive (when permitted) my wife's '91 cabriolet. So much faster, better handling, with A/C, and it does need high-octane. But there is nothing like my love affair with my two 356's. Now if I could only get my '55 Speedster back together! I was in the garage petting it just yesterday.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:59 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at a REALLY NICE Speedster last week. Silver, great provenance, $125k, east coast.

Uber
Old 08-28-2005, 06:10 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The restoration on that white car at EC doesn't appear true to the Kardex. It's supposed to have coupe seats, a bremen, etc. The paint in the trunk looks a bit off to me as well -- it might be a pretty average quality restoration in person.

As for keeping up with traffic and so forth, I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised. A 356 C or SC is a very nice car to drive.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:28 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've sold one of my P-cars today and was just looking around for something I haven't had. I knew 356 Cabs were high, but the 100k range just floored me! What is a well cared for or decently restored coupe bringing these days? Not concourse, I would want to drive it in at least two seasons. CPI shows to be 15 to 25k range, but they don't show cabs in the 100s either, except for the Carrera Cabs and I doubt there are many of them changing hands. Or am I wrong about that?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smshirk
I think I've sold one of my P-cars today and was just looking around for something I haven't had. I knew 356 Cabs were high, but the 100k range just floored me! What is a well cared for or decently restored coupe bringing these days? Not concourse, I would want to drive it in at least two seasons. CPI shows to be 15 to 25k range, but they don't show cabs in the 100s either, except for the Carrera Cabs and I doubt there are many of them changing hands. Or am I wrong about that?
Yes, I'm a little shocked by that too. I like the cabs, but maybe the speedsters are crazy-money now. How about the convertible-Ds? Are they good cars? I like the styling of roadster/cabs in the 356A styles better than the later cars.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:33 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

There are plenty of 356 Cabs for under 100K out there. A hundred grand cab has got to be a Concours winning car, in PERFECT condition to demand that kind of price. Speedsters are a different animal for various reasons. Recent auctions proved astronomical numbers, and we're NOT talkin' about 4 cam Carreras. A 4 cam motor can run 75-80 grand alone!
The Conv D was the evolution of the Speedster. Same body but with roll-up windows and more comfortable seats. Still had some water leaking issues with the top like the speedster had though.
Again......check some of the websites for 356s for sale. Prices are going to keep climbing (imho) but there are some nice cars changing hands all the time.
www.356registry.org (classifieds)
www.europeancollectibles.com
www.356sales.com
www.willhoitautorestoration.com

etc. etc.

Robert

Quick Reply: newbie 356 questions...