356 Carb Gurus - Need info on Italian made Weber knock-offs

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 12:00 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts
Question 356 Carb Gurus - Need info on Italian made Weber knock-offs

So my friend has a 64 or 65 C coupe that he has had nothing but trouble with, and his mechanic is blaming most of it on these questionable carbs. I have no idea about this mechanic except that he has moved the car and probably not going to be using him anymore. I am a competant mechanic (ex-aircraft mech), but by no means a 356 expert..................yet.

Anyway, I suggested getting a used pair of Zenith 32's or even some real Webers and putting those on there, Zeniths preferably since that is what is supposed to be there. I found a set on thesamba.com that look good for $350 for the carbs, manifolds, filters/filter cans, and linkages. Is this a good price?

Also, being the curious person that I am - what's up with these Italian things? Are they as bad as this guy thinks, or maybe they just need a good going-through? Are they Weber copies, or a more original design? Help...............
Old 04-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the the Dellortos? (sp?) Weber copies, can be good if set up properly.

If you just want some working carbs to put on there, I'd get with Ron over at Precision Matters (http://www.precisionmatters.biz/) and get a set of his Zeniths...
Old 04-14-2005, 05:19 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Many many MANY people (people such as well respected mechanics, and both porsche and vw afficianatos) swear by dellorto's and prefer them over webbers. They are a much better design and are much easier to tune and keep in tune than webbers.

fwiw, webbers are really not all the are cracked up to be. dellortos are supperior, and peroperly set up, and remanufactured zeniths or solexes will be even better.

fwiw i just sold my dellorto 36's manifolds, air cleaners and linkage to a friend for 200. (buddy price..). i loved them but they just werent the right size for the 912 motor to give it the proper power range. so im going with solex 40's, which is oem.

Quick Reply: 356 Carb Gurus - Need info on Italian made Weber knock-offs