Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Default 356 A questions

A few Qs:
-Did A's have a regular interior back panel under the back window and behind the bench seat ? It just occured to me to day my car has carpet there - probably a "replacement" item... ( I am very observant - have had the car for a year and never noticed ;-)

- What does a nice square weave carpet set cost ? I hear autos intl is slow, the canadian dude has shipping issues - any recommendations ?

Greg
57A
73.5T
Old 03-21-2005, 06:41 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Ours is a Pre A and it has carpet, but then ours may not be the best gauge for "originality" since it is an Outlaw..............

JoAnne
Old 03-21-2005, 07:16 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg, Check the catalogs of suppliers who sell 356A carpet sets to confirm if your installation is original (Stoddard's, Midwest, Perf., etc.) . I had good experience w/ Autos International - if you want delivery by date certain, just tell 'em... the obvious question is "... if you had the car for a year before noticing, what's the hurry?"
Old 03-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

none at all, just curious. Plus I am trying to make this forum move a bit ;-)
Old 03-22-2005, 10:27 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brett Johnson's "356 Restorer's Guide to Authenticity, rev II" p119 depicts the carpet set for a 356A (both early & T2 coupes). My guess is that there is a vinyl interior piece for the vertical section behind the rear seats that meets the bottom of the rear window. horizontal segment behind the rear seats is an extension of the carpet that is on the back of the rear seat-backs...

now, back to the moving forum - considering that 356 Talk has reached a saturation point of sorts, we may see more movement over here to Rennlist, if only for reasons of capacity, + there is tremendous tolerance for pithy remarks, one-liners, newbees, curmudgeons & similar ilk, and for practicaly all other forms of barely on-topic 356 & Porsche interchange. cheers!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you mean the panel that is attached through the firewall? & has the mounts for the luggage straps on it?
If so yes that is normally upholstered the same as the seats. (mine is red in this case)

boycotting 356talk - due to the 150+ mails i already get a day (traveling and getting a load of talk mails dumped into my PC at a hotel sucks)
Old 03-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do mean that panel... I've since seen pictures of a restored and stock 57 with one, so now I know my car's missing it. I'll live, but it's goot to know !

Thanks !

As for 356-talk, I actually don't mind the volume (digest=1 email anyway), it's more the restrictions and the format that are getting old ;-) Boards are nice to get to the point, follow a thread and avoid another, post a picture, and you can have fun and digress with keyboard-friends in a format that does not annoy people like emails from a mailing list ! But that's just me, I'll take the help in whatever format !
Old 03-30-2005, 04:59 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

"As for 356-talk, I actually don't mind the volume (digest=1 email anyway), it's more the restrictions and the format that are getting old ;-) Boards are nice to get to the point, follow a thread and avoid another, post a picture, and you can have fun and digress with keyboard-friends in a format that does not annoy people like emails from a mailing list ! But that's just me, I'll take the help in whatever format."

If that doesn't "Hit the nail on the head", I don't know what does!!!
I'm cyber-sending you a case of Warsteiner for that one, Greg.

Robert
Old 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Slurp ;-)

Hey, it does not matter, the 356 list is and will remain what it is... Maybe in 10/15 years we can take over ;-)
Old 04-06-2005, 11:10 AM
356convd
6th Gear

Hi Greg,

Why don't you post a photo of the area of your car you are referring to? In any case, as others have pointed out, it should be upholstered. I've never seen an A with carpeting there.

I like the 356Talk list because it's so accessible (I'm on email all day long for my work anyway) and I can save posts for reference. That list has a lot of extremely knowledgeable 356ers who often take the time to provide really useful information. A message board like this doesn't work as a long term reference. It's only real advantage is the ability to share photos, but I run my own web server so I always have a place to post photos when I need to.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks - I 'm all straightened out on the panel I am missing. No biggie, now I know...

>A message board like this doesn't work as a long term reference

How so? It's always online and you can display 3 years of info with one click, or search the above just as easily. How is a collection of emails better as a long term reference? I am confused !!

But on that 356-talk list, I can't say I am losing sleep over it... I'll take info wherever it's at, regardless of the antiquity of its delivery...
Old 04-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Brett Matthews
Pro

Hi Greg D.,
Yeah, just recently stripped out the original interior of my '56, and that back panel is seat material. My oatmeal carpet was reduced to strings and fuzz. My floor was reasonably "useable", except for the area behind the passenger seat, of course the battery floor was totally gone, and was there a bad surprize behind the rear quarter window panels. 'Course I knew there were problems when I went to pick the '56 up; there was a flat tire, and when I stuck the jack into the receiver to jack the car up, the jack went up, but the car didn't!

I too, am trying to circumvent the high price of P-car ownership; I found an interior mech-a-neck, locally, who is giving me a bargain on a full, complete, leather/oatmeal carpet/headliner interior, just to get his name out there. We'll see how it goes.... I've seen some of his work, claims to've done restoration work on Jags for over ten years, seems competently knowledgeable. Older fellow, NOT a kid! I'm looking forward to the results!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:27 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

brett,

im interested to hear about this guy who is doing the carpet and interior. how much does he charge for carpets, and interior pannels? i have por-15 sitting in a box, waiting for me to go nuts -just dont want to start unless i can finish it. Im thinking about getting the cheep whool carpet kit just to last a few years until i can do it right, unless i can find a good bargan. The carpet i really want will cost about 5 or 600 from auto's int'l. when i started taking out the rear shelf and other interior pannels i found the vynal was really brittle. i figure i could probably do that cheep by getting sheets of vynal locally, and recovering -but then again ive never done that before and would like to do it right.

Quick Reply: 356 A questions