356talk format sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 356talk format sucks

Out of frustration I posted this topic to the 356talk web site. You can only guess the responses I have sofar received, and I haven't even seen today's post! What was I thinking???

Jerry Garwick
and I do own 356s!

(quote follows)

-----------------------
ARGHHH!!! I can't take this format much longer! I love the ease of the formats that the Rennlist, Mercedes web site, and even the Fresno Ski Club web site use. They list all the messages for a subject under one heading that is very easy to read. If I don't care about a particular subject, like how many spotwelds are in a particular year floorpan, I don't have to weave my way past all the hits on that subject in the day's postings. Likewise, if I want to follow inputs on which cars built in March of 1964 were Togo Brown, I can do so in a moment. Plus, and this is a big one, the subjects are archived.

Why can't we get past this antiquated format? Please don't give me that old sad answer, "if you can do a better job, etc., etc." I love you guys, but let's update our lives. It would make life so much easier for both you and the list users. This suggested method can't be that difficult if the Fresno Ski Club uses it, for crying out loud.

There. I've said it.

Jerry Garwick
Old 03-04-2005, 12:43 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

that took some *****, but i know alot of people agree. one of the guys here made a better easier to follow archive. if you look in the last few days on here you can find it.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:51 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

"Sticks and stone, etc" I've tough skin, but I felt I had to say it. I tried to sign on to the reference with no success so far. I e-mailed Steve for some help. I like the idea of what he has done, even though I have not yet benefited. The 356talk is a great reference site, and the members of the Registry are among the greatest car nuts in the world. But I can't stand the bogging down on mundane, non-356 issues.

Does anyone know the name for the format Rennlist uses?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:54 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also wish that people would use this site more. Its such a pleasure using the 993 forum. Great search and the forum is so usable. I hate mailing lists, you can't ever keep up with it and I hate the way its not threaded.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:52 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts
Default The differences between 356talk and Rennlist:

This was one of the replies today on 356talk:

This question comes up periodically. If you want a forum, go to
Rennlist (www.rennlist.com) and dig down to the 356 Forum. At one time
a few claimed that everyone would end up there. Currently we have 1600
subscribers, which is a pretty good vote for what we offer. If you
prefer rennlist, you are welcome to use that. Do what works for you.

The forum format can be more structured. It also tends to be a much
less active form. If you bore down in Rennlist to the 356 Forum, you
will find only three posts for yesterday with a listing of the number of
views for each post. One got 94 view, one 76, and one got 620. The
subject of the popular one was "What a Boring Foum".

More seriously, the mail list form has approximately half the
subscribers choosing the immediate form. Many of the posts are from
these roughly 800 subscribers who often answer quite quickly. The rest
of the subscribers typically have a full day turnaround. The forums
that I have observed with similar traffic usually have more than ten
times the number of members. The email form is an "in your face" form,
while the forum is generally something that people forget to go look at.

356Talk is something that is relatively easy to manage. That is
important to Robin and myself. We've managed to keep the list
reasonably civil and spam free. People are pretty good staying on-topic
and civil .... thanks.

At some point not too far in the future we expect to move Steve's
archive into the "member's section" of the website. That probably won't
happen until we get the website moved off of a fully public server onto
the machine that now hosts Talk. I look forward to that because it will
make our discussion available to all the members of the Registry and not
just to the subscribers to 356Talk.

If you really want a forum, you are welcome to try one, but you have to
provide the initiative and management. I'm sure that the trustees would
be willing to listen to any proposal. They are much more internet aware
than when Robin first suggested 356Talk. I might sign up as a member,
but don't count on me to organize or run it.

If you have suggestions about how to make 356Talk, as a mail list, more
useful, contact Robin or myself.

Rick .. list monitor - 356Talk

Personally Robert and I both enjoy using Rennlist more than 356talk, BUT we appreciate 356talk for what it is and we are very glad to have it as a useful tool.

Seems to me the folks who visit the 356 Forum here on Rennlist tend to have other Porsche's too. For us, Rennlist can be very convenient, like one stop shopping for information on all types of Porsches.........

I do not undertand Rick's Comment about having to "Dig" to find the 356 forum? I found it funny that Rick mentioned Robert's post about "What a boring forum". That post did exactly what Robert intended it to do, draw attention to the 356 forum being one of the most under utilized forums on Rennlist. That thread has had the most responses of any post on the 356 forum to date. Even Rick read it!

I do agree with Rick, until there is someone wishing to step forth and put together a forum through the 356 Registry the compairsions and bickering should stop. Rick and Robin can't do everything. He has enough to do with 356talk..... So until someone steps up to the plate and decides to work up a forum for the Registry the 356 community must make do with what we have, 356Talk and Rennlist's somewhat anemic356 forum (sorry but it's no 993 forum).

The die hard 356 folks will not come over to Rennlist no matter what, so forget about it. You've got to remember that many of the 356 folks do not believe that Porsche made any other cars after 1965. They are not going to change. They are not interested in any other Porsche other other than 356's. You've got to also remember to take every personal opinion you read with a grain of salt. Some of the guys that were bashing Rennlist and other forums probably never even have visited Rennlist.

So it's either go to the 356 Registry and offer to start up a forum for them, or deal with reading through 98 emails a day on 356talk like we do or you can simply just unsubscribe.....

356talk is not that bad, just hit delete if your not interested in a particular email.
We enjoy 356talk but to us, Rennlist is a better format for US . We are all different and all have different likes and dislikes. It all it comes down to is personal perference. Which format do you prefer? We use both all the time. Nothing wrong with that. We have made friends on both 356talk and Rennlist, Nothing wrong with that either..................

We can also try to make Rennlist's 356 forum more active amongest ourselves then maybe a few more will follow. That is what Robet was trying to do with his "What a Boring Forum" post. Baby steps first, remember??

Can't we all just get along?????

JoAnne

Last edited by RJT 993; 03-04-2005 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:14 PM
texas911
Race Car

I guess its just the old guys set in their ways. Before the internet all there was was email lists. New guys like me who migrated from other forums are just used to the new efficient way of doing things. I guess that's why they like 356's!

PS. I'm still not joining the list, I get enough emails!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

"Can't we just get along?"

Seems to me that is what Rodney King said. The issue isn't getting along or an "in your face" attitude but rather trying to improve an already great product. I put another post on the 356talk regarding this subject. I don't think anything will change until the 356 Registry Board takes an interest. The subject has been battered around for some time indicating that there is a need to study it in a more formal environment. I believe that the sqeaky wheel does indeed get the grease.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:06 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Jerry....

Well, your squeaky wheel definately was heard

We'll all wait and see what happens.

JoAnne
Old 03-05-2005, 12:53 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

geeeez - NOW you've done it! Incited the curmudgeons! Hell hath no fury like ancient 356 enthusiasts (just read 356talk...). Frankly, I liked cuniform and smoke signals too, but those days are past, I suppose. & I kinda like 356talk the way it is, reminds me of darpanet in the early days. Hey, maybe it should be preserved (just like 356s) as a paean to the glory days - back when internetworked comms was more than a medium, it was a strange new thing to enjoy in & of itself (just like 356s).

Reading 356talk is like reading UPI / Reuters straight off the ticker in dank bar frequented by crusty news reporters smoking cigars and throwing back scotch like there was no tomorrow (at least after deadline). Those were the days... 1959, I beleive.

Really I see no reason not to have it both ways, & I wouldn't be shocked if that is achieved on 356 Registry someday. So, I favor leaving things the way they are - especially since I am sure to need mucho helpo on my 356s from those gentlemen.

I thought Robert's "what a boring forum" was Great - who cares, one way or another - if you have a 356 you can drive, its noise is more satisfying than the noise (or lack thereof) on a web forum, fGs. Even (especially!) if this 356 Forum is low in participation, it does serve the Rennlist community who have only learned of the heritage of Porsche by working back from the present (or the middle, or whenever). {why do those people seem to have so much fun? their cars are old & slow & odd??} Cross-communications among Porsche subcultures is a good thing, & if you already have a 356, believe me, we're lucky, because the price of admission is going UP. I think I've talked myself into a drive in the AM. Better start refining the special ole ancient blend...
Old 03-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

It's a tough one... I agree the list format is terrible for archiving or searching - Steve's indexing is nice but it's an aftermarket solution ;-)

I enjoy reading the list, but I'd prefer a web board format for future research, for posting photos, etc...

The curmudgeons are indeed very much set in their ways - and we need them - but then again an antiquated listserver is not the way to attract the next generation of 356 owners to the fold, IMO...
Old 03-09-2005, 02:11 AM
texas911
Race Car

Me included.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:56 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Right now some of the guys on 356talk are confused about the Car Show portion of the Parade and once again it it being said that PCA is snobbish (which I take personally since I not only belong to the Registry, but I also belong to PCA and I'm about as far from being a snob as you can get). Anyway, maybe John D can post something on 356talk (or here and I can cut and paste it there) so that he can ease the minds of some of the guys over on the "other side" of the 356 fence (356talk). For those of you who don't know yet, John D. is the Co-chair of the Car Show and he is NOT A SNOB!!!!

JoAnne
Old 03-09-2005, 03:30 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

oddly enough some 912ers are not too happy with the pca right now. here is a quote one of the 912ers post on the 912bbs

Panorama (March 05 - page 54) inviting original Porsche owners to display their cars at the Parade. All 356's, 1980 or earlier 911's, all 914's, all 924/928's.
Somebody ought to drive a 912 and a 912E up their butt...
then they might remember ALL the Porsches.
Howard
Old 03-09-2005, 03:46 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hoffman912
oddly enough some 912ers are not too happy with the pca right now. here is a quote one of the 912ers post on the 912bbs:

Panorama (March 05 - page 54) inviting original Porsche owners to display their cars at the Parade. All 356's, 1980 or earlier 911's, all 914's, all 924/928's.
Somebody ought to drive a 912 and a 912E up their butt...
then they might remember ALL the Porsches.
Howard
They should have just said all Porsche's. There are too many model designations. Of course they would leave someone out. "All 924/928's"? Not all 928's were "pre 1980".What about 944's and 968's then? What about Boxsters and 993's? On and on.......

When will they ever learn???

JoAnne

PS: Harry, did PCA say you were on the waiting list for Parade or what???
Old 03-09-2005, 08:40 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

pretty much. Im not really too worried about it right now. I just got laid off (outsourcing is a bitch).
Ive got a few options lined up, but need to know whats going on with the new job and vacation time before i can plan anything else this summer.

Quick Reply: 356talk format sucks