Sponsored by:

Asking your thoughts on two 356's

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Max (SD)
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asking your thoughts on two 356's

I would like your opinions regarding the 64 356C and 65 356 C on www.europeancollectables.com site. Both cars are asking around $16,750. What do you guys think of there conditions as per the advertised price? What immediate work would you think is required? What questions should I be asking?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:36 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Max,
Talk to Chris at EC. He has always been honest and gives me straight up answers on cars I have inquired about. Descriptions for both cars state "rust free pans", that doesn't mean there isn't rust elsewhere in the cars. Have a PPI done on either or both cars, including compression checks, by someone who knows 356s. An engine rebuild can run 8-10 grand, done by a 356 shop. Rebuiding a tranny is expensive. A paint job can be as much as you want to spend. Interiors can run 5-6 for leather, a little less for vinyl. You can save some bucks by doing alot of it yourself. But you can easily drop 15 to 20 grand in restoring a 356. Double that if you want to do a "as new" level car.
356s are a blast to drive and own, and they can be highly addictive! You may find yourself wanting to 'fix it up' and have it look nice and run great especially if you go to a Registry event with all the other 356s.
If you plan to restore one of these $16,000 cars, and budget another 15-20 grand in doing so, you are into the mid to high 30s. Might as well look at the C coupe they have for 39.5 that needs nothing done to it.
Go by EC and drive both of the cars and then drive the fully restored car and see the difference. You may or may not be happy with an unrestored 356.
Really depends on what you want. Restoring a 356 can be a very rewarding and fun challenge. (And alot of work)
Good luck and let us know what you find.

R
Old 01-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Jump2xs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Max, The only way to come close to answering your question is for you to ask yourself what you want to end up with and what you will be satisfied with.
A knock around driver? A concourse car? something in between? this will determine what you should start with and what you should pay. I highly reccomend you buy Jim Schragers book "Buying, driving and enjoying the 356" buy it here:

http://www.rpmautobooks.com/

It's the ideal book to start with--more than a buyers guide, it's no-nonsense approach will help you from making a bad decision out of ignorance. I had owned several 356 cars before I bought it and I still got immense knowledge from it.--No I don't own stock in the company--I just feel it's the best book to start your research with.

You could probably find a better private deal than EC, but they do have a decent reputaion, and where else can you find so many cars to choose from in one place? it's like a 1960's Porsche dealer...simply wonderful.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max,

I just put my 356 up for sale. here is the link --->. My 356 Ad

Mechanically the car is very sound. The interior is in great shape. There is a bit of rust as with any cars this age. The car is no concourse winner but would make a great driver.
Let me know if you're interested.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ooooh Siberian... wish I had more cash available. Nice looking car.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Talking

Siberian, Does the pink ball gown come with the car?

Max, I support Jump2xs, buy the book as it is very readable and very real. After a good read you can decide what's worth it for you.

Mine is a good drivable car but will never win a concours. I don't want to restore it as then I wouldn't enjoy driving it.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Siberian, Does the pink ball gown come with the car?
Ahem...if you're refering to the car cover in the passenger seat, the answer is yes...

Quick Reply: Asking your thoughts on two 356's