Opinion on Seats for 356

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Opinion on Seats for 356

Here's my dilemma... My current seats on my 57A are useable but not so pretty: covers are slightly damaged, the chrome on the side is so pitted it does not even look like chrome anymore, the recliner does not lock in place...

Methink that making them right will cost an arm and a leg and take the better part of forever given Autos int'l backlog and the unobtainium status of nice chromed replacements for early cars...

I've toyed with the idea of GT buckets and actually sat in some this past w/e at the Fog gathering in a bona fide GT 90... Not bad at all, even for my fat a$$..

What do you guys think on the following? a) on the 356 I've always felt 1/2 of the suspension system was the seat bottom. Swapping to a harder GT seat might make it uncomfortable... b) fibersteels's GT buckets with the right brackets and upholstered come it at $2000 for a pair - ouch. Might I beat that by redoing my stock seats ?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:37 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

you could go with
http://gts-classics.com/seats.html

or

http://www.vintageseats.com/seats.htm

or (more period for your car)

http://www.fibersteel.com/Seats.htm

or scat has several period correct types.. stock look and sport seat look

http://www.procarbyscat.com/procarseats02.html

or you could get a set of 912 seats which are pretty close
Old 11-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

Harry, I appreciate the links but let me ask differently...

Anyone knows how much it costs to redo 2 stock seats covers, rechrome everything and fix the seat reclining mechanism on 2 seats... I already know 2 upholstered/bracketed "ready to go" GT seats cost $2000. Would redoing my seats be cheaper than exchanging for Gts or not ?

Has anybody redone their interiors lately ?
Old 11-11-2004, 06:23 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

hmmm... recovering a seat isnt really gonna do much but make it look pretty.. but if you redo the internals, springs and what not, then your on the right path.

chroming the do-dads will be a couple hundred. seat covers.. you can find the cost of seat covers alone on several websites..

its the internals etc that are gonna be the toughest job.

there is a place in cali that does alot of great work for the 912ers who do full restos called Collins Auto Trim.. ill see if i can find the number for you. may be cheeper than auto's intl.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:58 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Greg,
Here I am, late to the party again.......
A friend that has a 59 Conv D, just redid his seats. He sent them to Jim Gordon in California and they had to be completely rebuilt, rechromed and recovered. I'm pretty sure it was $1200 using vinyl, leather would be another $600 or so.
If you are going to do it yourself you'll save a chunk on labor. But parts and chromeplating charges and the upholstery aren't cheap.

I've got Speedster seats in my 55 Outlaw and they are NOT the most comfortable seats in the world. I get out of the 55 and into my 65 and it's like getting into a new Jag! I could drive the 65 all day long and never get tired.

Let us know what you do.....
Robert
Old 11-17-2004, 03:11 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert (& Greg & Harry), I too have a '59D, + a '65 SC. Both need seating issues addressed. I have contacted Intermeccanica - it appears their Roadster seats may be a good option, but I have not confirmed if the mounts are interoperable or their price. I understand that T6 & short wheelbase 911/912 seats are easily swapped. Is that so? Thanks.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:33 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

i dont see wht the 912 seats wouldnt be easily swapped.. might need 356 brackets/rails or what ever its called (the sliding rails on the seat that bolt to the car), but shouldnt be too hard..

Quick Reply: Opinion on Seats for 356