Curious about Beck

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 05:35 PM
piratfisk
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Curious about Beck

Hi everyone,

I'm tempted, with the regularity of listings on BaT, to buy a Beck 550 Spyder or 356 Speedster. I've never driven one, though & from what I can tell, they're mechanically similar.
  • Do Beck builds vary in quality as much as, say, Factory Five Cobra "kits?"
  • What's the general consensus in the Porsche community towards Beck cars? Are they regarded as "homages" or something unique in its own right? (Coming from another luxury forum, any "homage" or "copy-cat" type product is generally looked upon with disdain & rightly so in that arena.)
  • I know this is a very long-shot question, but if anyone is in San Diego County, I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee for a ride, just to see if I can fit & be comfortable. I'm 6'1" 175lbs.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:29 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

I'm 6'4" and got into my friends Beck 550. My knees went under the dash and I seriously could not get out without two friends pulling my arms to help.

I owned a real '55 Speedster and it was a very cool car but no matter how far I scooted down in the seat my head was above the windshield frame. With the top up it was pretty much impossible to see anything.