Sponsored by:

Engine disassembly help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Brett Matthews
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine disassembly help

I'm at the third piece case, all the bolts and nuts that I can see are off, the oil pump is out, and the woodruf key is out of the crank.

What am I missing, if anything?

It's a 912 going into my 356..... HELP!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:43 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

im not sure off hand.. i have the 'orange' 912 manual at home, but i need it right now.. as soon as im done for the mean time, i can let you borrow it or finish helping. it tells everything for the engine, but isnt quite an engine manual. (it will tell you most of the stuff for tearing down and rebuilding)

btw.. i believe i still have your 30mm socket for the crank at my parents house.
heres a place to go for help.
www.bbs912.org
thats where all the 912ers are. go to so cal or bay area board, as thats where most of the guys are.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:00 PM
LynnsABCs
Intermediate

Brett:

I'm at work, I'm old and forgetful and this is from memory, but I think the main bearing in the 3rd piece of the case has a special bolt that has a small tit on the end of it that fits into a recess in the front main bearing and holds it in place. You need to take out the bolt before trying to remove the 3rd piece.

I'll look into my manuals and stuff and see where it screws in from, but you should see a bolt head going into the front nose bearing.

Lynn
Knoxville, Tn
Old 05-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Brett Matthews
Pro

Awright, here's an update;
The bolt you mentioned Lynn (?), may hold the bearing in place, but doesn't impact the crank anywhere. Yeah, I took it out, but it wasn't holding the third piece on.

Some nitwit used Permatex #1 on the case and gasket, and way too much to boot, and it squoze up the stud holes, and consequently locked the case in place.
But, I managed to tap the case off, no marred surfaces.

Harry, the inside of the case looks like any other used case; baked on old oil, like a varnished case. No rust or stains.

Now I wonder what surprizes await me when I split the mains!

Anyone with subtle clues here????
Old 05-04-2004, 11:04 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

well what i wanted to check out was the lay out, and how it was assembled inside.

Quick Reply: Engine disassembly help