Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke Pushrod/rocker in my 78 VW- please don't be offended by quesiton in 356 forum..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:30 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broke Pushrod/rocker in my 78 VW- please don't be offended by quesiton in 356 forum..

Sorry to ask this question in a Porsche forum- hopefully no one is insulted But the motor in my car is very similar (the internal design anyway) of the 356, and this is the forum I use for my 964, so figured I'd ask the quick question here. A pushrod/rocker broke in my car this past weekend. What causes this type of failure? I had just driven the car on a 75 mile trip, and before I got off the highway took her up to top speed down hill (82 mph indicated, vs. 80 listed as top and crusing speed in manual). I don't think I over revved it by going 2 mph faster than the book says is max speed, and with speedometer error probably wasn't going 82. Also, I don't think car overheated- running 20W-50 oil, and weather was in 60's- car ran great the whole trip (although it was nice to get in the 964 afterwards and actually have some passing power )

Anyway, I told my mechanic I drove 65-70 the whole 75 mile trip and wondered if I pushed the car too much- he said the "newer" bug motors should be fine with 65-70 mph on the highway (48hp net SAE HP, 1.6 liter Fuel Injection motor for those interested), and some of the older motors would be more strained with lower HP plus lower gearing. He said it wasn't anything I did.

Well, the car is now fixed (only $350 to fix- much cheaper repairs than my porsche ). The mechanic said it was just a fluke thing to happen. Any idea of what would cause something like this? Are the rockers/pushrods in the 356's prone to this type of failure?

Thanks-
Andrew

Quick Reply: Broke Pushrod/rocker in my 78 VW- please don't be offended by quesiton in 356 forum..