Sponsored by:

Took her home last night !

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004 | 02:46 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink Took her home last night !

Well... My lil'356A arrived early last saturday from Seattle at the local DAS pickup point nearest Tampa, FL. I failed to notice that until Sunday morning,(closed), so I went to pick her up monday afternoon deep in the flatlands of St Petersburg, in a wrecking yard amidst mobile homes of all places...

Bubba stopped playing the banjo just long enough to inquire what I wanted (and I do not exagerate) and pulled up "the ol'VW" up front for me to inspect (I also kid you not). Thankfully, all was OK and I drove her home. DAS - aka dependable auto shippers are great, timely and cheaper than intercity, and have never damaged a car of mine in 4 attempts, but man their drop off and pick-up points can suck sometimes !

Of course, having left there at rush hour, I litterally encountered 176 red lights which forced many unnecessary application of my mediocre brakes and countless shifts with my borderline clutch ! I did make it home, though, and she sits on my lift awaiting parts and elbow grease. I figure at minimum a brake shoes and clutch cable adjustement before I even consider a trip to the DMV to register it! (wonder how long I've got to register it, probably another week since technically it wasn't even due to arrive until next week end). Oh, and seat belts too, I hate driving without'em (and without brakes)! All parts are on order, hopefully those will arrive first !

She's sitting happy in the garage, I missed that aroma of evaporating gas from the carbs ;-) Pictures to follow ! (though' you've seen enough fjord green 57 coupe pictures lately I am sure)
Old 03-02-2004 | 08:10 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Greg......Glad to hear your baby arrived. I guess the extra cost for Intercity and Thomas Sunday is the "door to door" service.
I probably don't need to tell you this, but check all your fuel lines. If the car has been inactive for awhile, or even if not, the old lines can be pretty much gone without being visable. If they feel hard, play it safe and replace them.
Usually most states give you 30 days to register from date of purchase. But if you show them that the car was transported from another state, they might give you a little more time.
And, I personally can always use more pics of Fjord Green 356s!!!!
Keep us updated...........
Old 03-02-2004 | 10:51 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, the fun has begun ! I figured I'd try to adjust the drum brakes (almost type dumb brakes, hmm) to see if it helped my low grab point. The rears were a piece of cake, but the front adjusting stars are frozen solid. Any chance anyone knows what I am missing ? It's probably me!!! ;-)
Old 03-03-2004 | 01:22 AM
kpr
Intermediate

Congratulations on your new arrival. Break out the cigars.

Old 03-03-2004 | 09:14 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

the cigars...and the drums ! I already need to redo the brakes completely ;-)

I guess I might chance driving it to the closest notary public to ID the vin#, so I can go register it without driving it to the distant DMV.

Then I have a list of projects as long as my time without a 356 ;-) WEll, that is what I wanted, not sure what I am complaining about !
Old 03-06-2004 | 12:21 PM
Brett Matthews
Pro

Thumbs up

Who tolja we're tired of green pics??!?!?!?? Send pics, send MORE pics!!!!!!
Updates as acquired or done!
(SHEESH, at least SOMEONE is accomplishing something!!!!)

I went and looked at a spare backing plate, and I can't offer any suggestions, other than, some sort of penetrant, and this is a suggestion from a mechanic friend of mine, ATF penetraits and lubricates, he swears by it. Giving it some time to work.... It isn't immediate

Quick Reply: Took her home last night !