Pics of our 'new' boy....Max

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 09:03 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Pics of our 'new' boy....Max

Just wanted to post a few pics of our 55 Continental Coupe Outlaw. We bought him this past weekend while we were in S.Cal for the Porsche memmorabilia meet and Dunkel Swapmeet.
We've already named him Max, in honor of Max Hoffman. I guess Max might also be short for 'maximum'!!!

Old 02-05-2004, 10:20 PM
sodly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow outlaw

Cool Continental. Who did the work?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:26 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

holy ****... robert, im speechless...

that car is simply gorgious!! the details are just amazing.. the louvered deck lid, the color contrast, headlight grills, leather hood fasteners, the vintage racing seats, the wheels, the stinger exhaust.. my god man, youve struck gold!

now whats the story with the engine? 356 with 911 fan shroud? vw with 911 fan shroud? or is it an early 911 engine and im just not seeing the other 2 manifold tubes?

tell ya what.. this hoffman is giving his approval!
Old 02-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

RJT 993 (& All),

Hi! I'm new to the 356 Forum, but have been looking at 356's for the last several years.

Saw the pix of your new 356. Beautiful. It is parked in a familiar looking garage: European Collectables in Costa Mesa? If so, how were they to deal w/? I was at their shop about a year ago looking at a B T-5 Coupe.

I've heard good things about them, and they are a reference on the Registry web site. I am constantly looking at their inventory, and have been impressed. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

Craig
Old 02-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

WOW ! Beau-ti-ful !

Probably expensive as heck too ;-) Congratulations !

That engine, is that what I think it is ? (sectioned 911) If so , "heck" above was probably an understatement. What a nice car !

PS: I see other 356s behind it. Where was that ? I am still looking - might have found one though !
Old 02-06-2004, 04:27 PM
kpr
Intermediate

Verrry Nice. Please, tell us more about it.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We don't see any Outlaws here on the east coast, except in Excellence and 911&Porsche World-your car really is a treat. After the kids are out of college . . . sigh.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like the Perfect Carrera Pan-am car (Hint-Hint!)
good find and great style
Old 02-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Robert,

I pieced together a few posts, and found "Max"! Is that why you've decided to sell the Euro C?

What an beautiful automobile! I inquired on this threat a few days ago about the Seller -- European Collectables? If so, how did you find the transaction?

Craig
Old 02-08-2004, 10:59 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Craig.....Sorry I didn't respond earlier on your question about EC. I had no problems with the guys at EC, Chris and Nick. I've heard other people voice their opinions that they don't think EC always represent their cars 100% honestly. Number 1 rule is get a PPI done if you can't inspect the car yourself.
I was interested in a 57 Speedster at EC a couple of months ago. The pics on their website looked fantastic. When I asked Chris what the car needed, he told me exactly EVERYTHING that was not 'right'. I had a PPI done and it revealed exactly what Chris had said. I passed on that car.
When we were in S.Cal last week I visited EC 3 times to inspect the cars I was interested in. They have a totally open door policy that you can do pretty much anything you want to evaluate the cars. I didn't feel they were trying to hide anything.
And yes, with "Max" arriving, our 65 Euro C will be probably be finding a new home.
I'll tell you more about her on the other thread........
Old 02-09-2004, 12:54 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Robert,

so whats the story with max's engine?

also why are you getting rid of helga?!? im shocked about this one.. are you planning on getting somthing else to replace her instead?

(honestly i was hoping you would keep it forever until you couldnt keep her anylonger, and then i would be able to afford to ****** her up )

either way im sure you will have no problems finding a happy home for her.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:20 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry Harry, I've been away and unable to answer.....
I've also been waiting for documents on Max to clarify exactly what, when, where, who etc. did the work. So far I've learned that it was built over a two year period back in the early 90s by a guy who was going to enter the Carrera PanAmericana with the car. After it was finished, he decided that it was way too nice to destroy in a brutal race like the CPA. So he sold it to a Porsche collector that pretty much had it in his museum for the past 12 years. It's been completely "freshened" and it's ready to rock and roll! I was told that it's a race prepped 2 liter 914 with a 911 fan system. Could be close to 200 HP, but I'll dyno it when it gets here to see for sure. Whatever, it's a bomb when you hit the starter button! Wickedly FAST!
It was picked up today by the Transport Co and will get here in a few days. Not sure if I'm the first delivery or last. There are 6 other cars on the truck.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

looks like fun-
the engine shroud looks like a FAT performance 911 fan conversion for the type IV - should be fast and torqueie.
i was considering the 2.0 type IV route for my Pan-am car but in the end the fact that i have 2 SC motors and i want to run in vintage races killed that idea - so they are being built as 1620's semi-race motors (they need to develope power on 91 octane for mexico.
My own carrer project is going slow...just completed the roll cage design (CAD) and oiling system, the motors are being built and will be dyno'd then stored (which has cost a pretty penny), and i just found my second complete rear assembly (tranny, & suspension), so the next order of business is to rebuild them both (with GT diff's) and store them.
Seems backwards i guess to build the car from the inside out, but my primarly goal is have every assembly done before the body work is started. That way we can make 100% everything fits and works as it should. for instance the oil system, is going to use hard lines routed through the loginitudinals with quick disconnect fittings for every stop (coolers, filter, thermostate, etc) with nothing on the bottom of the car - the lines routed in the fenders are going to be shielded from rocks, etc.
time consuming. but i feel the best way to go.
more later when it happens

Quick Reply: Pics of our 'new' boy....Max