Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STOLEN Jay Putnams 356 Racecar stolen (RED #60)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:57 PM
jayster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation STOLEN Jay Putnams 356 Racecar stolen (RED #60)

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR IT IS STOLEN
I was only recently able to get it reported, as the Local Police, and the Mass State Police would not take a report, on account it was not registered and turned into a race car. I had the title endorsed to me, and a bill of sale. I never registered it, as it was junkyard bound when I bought it in 1990. If you can be of assistance please call me 561.330.2847
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/9157137-post1.html
Attached Files
File Type: html
9157137-post1.html (17.8 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by jayster; 04-16-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-14-2018, 06:50 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

That's in my backyard. Max is a BMW motorcycle shop owner in the area. Does HE know it's stolen? Seems kind of odd.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 PM
jayster
Instructor

Yes, He does

Last edited by jayster; 04-16-2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-14-2018, 09:59 PM
jayster
Instructor

I would like to clarify 2 points, Drew Brown, DID NOT KNOW this car was stolen, and I honestly believe Max Stratton didnt know it was stolen.
Jay Putnam

Last edited by jayster; 04-16-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-15-2018, 12:12 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't know Max, & I'm not trying to defend him. It just seems odd that a well known business owner would take this kind of chance with his reputation.

Why is it that the police will not help?

Last edited by gavonder; 04-15-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:09 PM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

Jayster -

With all due respect for your situation...

I'm confused. I'm not clear I understand the sequence of events. The linked Pelican post by Drew Brown seems to have been posted back on 6-12-2016. And Drew was offering the car for sale at that time. He acknowledges that you helped build the car back in the 1980's. But if Drew was offering it for sale, wouldn't he have been the owner at that time - just two years ago?

So I'm confused about when the car was allegedly stolen and who was the owner at the time.

You claim you have the title, and your bill of sale was WAY back in 1991. But if you built the car originally, why do you have a bill of sale?

So... When was the car stolen? From whom was it stolen? When did Drew Brown enter the picture and have ownership? From whom did Drew Brown buy the car? And did Drew Brown sell it to Max Stratton?

In addition, why can't you get the police to file a stolen vehicle report??? If it was stolen from you years ago, why wasn't there a stolen vehicle report filed at that time? Shouldn't a stolen vehicle report still be on file?

Do both Drew and Max claim to also have - or had - a title?

And if it's stolen, and you can prove it's stolen, why did you offer to purchase it from Max Stratton?

All very confusing.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

One would think Drew might have some insight on this..
Old 04-16-2018, 01:05 PM
jayster
Instructor

Originally Posted by gavonder
I don't know Max, & I'm not trying to defend him. It just seems odd that a well known business owner would take this kind of chance with his reputation.

Why is it that the police will not help?
(1) I do not know why anyone would take this chance. I approached him as a buyer, with the intention of purchasing the car, once I had determined He an Drew didnt have anything to do with the miss appropriation of my car.
I wanted to buy it back and go after the guy who took it from my shop in Mass. I guess this approach pissed him off, as I told him who I was and wanted to buy it back, so much of the parts were missing so I offered 18K for it.

(2) At the time I was moving to Fla. Jan 2013, and in the middle of my second moving trip, I noticed it was missing from my storage lot. I tried to report it on my last trip to Fla. April 2013, but the local Police, and the Mass State police wouldn't report it. Because of the delay, and it was an unregistered racecar.
Life had to go on, so I kept up the moving, hoping to get on with my life, and get over it. I was pretty sure who took it but couldnt prove it. I figured the worst, parted out and the tub was god knows where.
A few years later, my son stumbled across an ad for it online, so a pursuit was started in earnest. In the ad, Drew stated in the ad he was trying to get info on me and the car, I am easy to find, so that point confuses me. If we had connected this would have been put to bed a long time ago.
Now that the current person whom has it, wont return calls, hasnt in over a year, I am getting aggressive. I hope this answers more question than it raises. I tried this same thing on Pelican Parts BBS and got tore a new one (hostile bunch).

So, any real help would be appreciated, Jay Putnam

Last edited by jayster; 04-16-2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-16-2018, 01:22 PM
jayster
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigs
Jayster -

With all due respect for your situation...

I'm confused. I'm not clear I understand the sequence of events. The linked Pelican post by Drew Brown seems to have been posted back on 6-12-2016. And Drew was offering the car for sale at that time. He acknowledges that you helped build the car back in the 1980's. But if Drew was offering it for sale, wouldn't he have been the owner at that time - just two years ago?

So I'm confused about when the car was allegedly stolen and who was the owner at the time.

You claim you have the title, and your bill of sale was WAY back in 1991. But if you built the car originally, why do you have a bill of sale?

So... When was the car stolen? From whom was it stolen? When did Drew Brown enter the picture and have ownership? From whom did Drew Brown buy the car? And did Drew Brown sell it to Max Stratton?

In addition, why can't you get the police to file a stolen vehicle report??? If it was stolen from you years ago, why wasn't there a stolen vehicle report filed at that time? Shouldn't a stolen vehicle report still be on file?

Do both Drew and Max claim to also have - or had - a title?

And if it's stolen, and you can prove it's stolen, why did you offer to purchase it from Max Stratton?

All very confusing.
(2) At the time I was moving to Fla. Jan 2013, and in the middle of my second moving trip, I noticed it was missing from my storage lot. I tried to report it on my last trip to Fla. April 2013, but the local Police, and the Mass State police wouldn't report it. Because of the delay, and it was an unregistered racecar.
Life had to go on, so I kept up the moving, hoping to get on with my life, and get over it. I was pretty sure who took it but couldnt prove it. I figured the worst, parted out and the tub was god knows where.
A few years later, my son stumbled across an ad for it online, so a pursuit was started in earnest. In the ad, Drew stated in the ad he was trying to get info on me and the car, I am easy to find, so that point confuses me. If we had connected this would have been put to bed a long time ago.
Now that the current person whom has it, wont return calls, hasnt in over a year, I am getting aggressive. I hope this answers more question than it raises. I tried this same thing on Pelican Parts BBS and got tore a new one (hostile bunch).
ALSO, I mistakenly stated I bought it in 1991, I looked at the title, and bill of sale, the are dated 05.13.1990

So, any real help would be appreciated, Jay Putnam

Last edited by jayster; 04-16-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: mis info
Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM
jayster
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
One would think Drew might have some insight on this..
I spoke to Drew and he sent Me to Max, thats when I told Drew who I was, I dont think at that time I told him it had been stolen.
I have called Drew a few times this weekend, and am awaiting his call.
Any Bills of sale, save for the one I have are forgeries, as I never sold the car to anyone, it was stolen. In most states, a car over 10 years old doesnt need a title to change hands, unless it is currently titled.
I NEVER implied Drew or Max had done anything wrong, until Max quit calling me a year ago. It was then I told him it was stolen. I wasnt going after Max or Drew, they were innocent bystanders in my estimation. I wanted to buy it back, to regain possesion of my car, then pursue the person who took it, thats why I wanted to buy back my stolen racecar, had I not done that Max, and Drew stood to lose money, as it is not legally anyone's but mine. I wouldnt want that to happen to me, so why should I do it to them?
Thanks for being gentlemen about this, like I said the Pelican guys didnt even allow me the courtesy of an explanation before attaking me online, You should see the posts, I must admit, I stooped to their level and partook in it. I am embarrased for that. But I let my emotions get the better of me.
Thanks for being patient enough for me to clarify any vagueness.
If you have anymore questions or advice please share, all the best, Jay Putnam
Old 04-16-2018, 05:13 PM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

Thank you, Jay.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 PM
jayster
Instructor

Your welcome sir, Jay Putnam

Last edited by jayster; 04-16-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: got reply happy I guess!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:15 PM
jayster
Instructor

You are welcome sir. Sincerely, Jay Putnam
Old 04-18-2018, 01:11 AM
jayster
Instructor

There is much more info coming
Old 04-18-2018, 05:55 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Damn Jay sorry to hear about this. Remember you showing me the car back when you were packing up for the move.

Quick Reply: STOLEN Jay Putnams 356 Racecar stolen (RED #60)