Sponsored by:

Anyone have seatbelts in 356?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 11:57 PM
JM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have seatbelts in 356?

Are you guys putting seatbelts in your 356's? When did they start making seatbelts standard in porsches?

I am researching 356's and have discovered that the early ones didn't have seatbelts!? Can you put them in without putting holes in the car?

thanks,
jason
Old 12-24-2003, 05:28 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Jason.......Not exactly sure when 356s came with factory installed seatbelts. Porsche dealerships were installing them here in the US before the factory was "forced" to by US safety mandates. Some guys say it was early 60s when the first ones came from the factory. Some guys say it wasn't until the C (64-65).
If you want to install belts in a early car and be SAFE, they really need to be bolted to the floor pan. Just attaching them to the chair rail would not be much protection in a bad crash because body weight would pull the seat right off its railings.
Period correct lap belts are available for 356s, but installing a present day shoulder type belt might be a challenge. And again, would de-value the car quite alot for future resale.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:41 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in a word - no
you need to drill to install the belts - most have lap belts in them - some don't for one reason or another. I recently upgraded to a 3-point set up and drilled 2 new holes in the rear. not pretty but safer considering the steering wheel is metal. the lap belts should be drilled near the overlap and not just through the pan. the shoulder belts are installed between the last copper drain tube and the fire wall about midway up - this is the strongest point of the rear 3rd vertical panel.
I don't really agree on the de-valueing of the car - as long as it is not a concours car - if it's a driver generally it's a plus as long as it is done right. Oh you have to cut the panel in the rear as well.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The mounting studs appeared sometime in '62 or '63 I think... my '65 C coupe has front lap belts, but I think Dad had them put in when he bought the car new.

Quick Reply: Anyone have seatbelts in 356?