Sponsored by:

Help me find my Dad's 356!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help me find my Dad's 356!

I grew up around my dad's 356, took countless trips with him in it, learned how to shift on it, washed it every other weekend, watched him care for it . He bought it back in 1986. About 10 years ago he was down on his luck and sold it for pennies.

My dad just passed away over the weekend, and while going through some of his things, I found old receipts for his 1963 356B. I have the VIN #, but as you know it's not the conventional 16 digit VIN from modern cars so a little harder to find info on.

I'd love to contact the current owner and see if he'd be interested in selling, or to let him know that I'd like to be first in line should he decide to.

Does anybody have experience with this that can guide me in the right direction?

Name:  dBAu1tc.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  68.3 KB
Old 08-05-2017, 11:29 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Send the VIN and I'll check it on two databases I have access to.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:05 AM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Send the VIN and I'll check it on two databases I have access to.
That would be awesome, thank you! Sent!
Old 08-06-2017, 12:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

OK, I searched the 356 Registry database (available to members only), no record of the car. Also searched 356a.com (available to anyone) but no record. Not unusual as cars are listed in those databases only if an owner sent them the information somewhere along the line.

If you have a picture which shows the license plate, you might be able to request your DMV to send a notice to the current owner to contact you, I think I can do that in CA but you would have to research your state's laws. EDIT: That probably would only work, if even possible, if the car was still registered in the same state, probably unlikely.

Good luck! EDIT: Unfortunately, you are looking for a needle in a haystack, but there have been a few cases where someone has tracked down a long lost car, even one case where the son was able to buy his Dad's former 356.

Last edited by jcnesq; 08-06-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:36 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many Registry members do not enter their chassis info in the VINdb. Your dad's old car could still be owned by a Registry member. Bill Block who used to be Registrar of the Database may have info. Contact him through Block's Books. http://blocks-books.com/BLOCKS-BOOKS/Welcome.html
Old 08-07-2017, 12:49 AM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcnesq
OK, I searched the 356 Registry database (available to members only), no record of the car. Also searched 356a.com (available to anyone) but no record. Not unusual as cars are listed in those databases only if an owner sent them the information somewhere along the line.

If you have a picture which shows the license plate, you might be able to request your DMV to send a notice to the current owner to contact you, I think I can do that in CA but you would have to research your state's laws. EDIT: That probably would only work, if even possible, if the car was still registered in the same state, probably unlikely.

Good luck! EDIT: Unfortunately, you are looking for a needle in a haystack, but there have been a few cases where someone has tracked down a long lost car, even one case where the son was able to buy his Dad's former 356.
Bummer. Thanks for checking! I'll have to try and find a picture of the rear of the car, but I don't know that I have any. I know it was the period correct black and yellow California plate though. Will the DMV facilitate something similar through VIN number?

Originally Posted by zoomie50
Many Registry members do not enter their chassis info in the VINdb. Your dad's old car could still be owned by a Registry member. Bill Block who used to be Registrar of the Database may have info. Contact him through Block's Books. http://blocks-books.com/BLOCKS-BOOKS/Welcome.html
Thanks for that, just sent him an email.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:08 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you live in California. Good news then. The DMV has a form, INF-70, you use to search their database. Can be done using VIN or license plate number. Cost is only $5 or so.

I have used it myself with success a couple of times. You must give a reason for the request. I have written that I have information about the car which will be of interest to the current owner.

Worked like a charm. Once I called the 800 number and got hold of the right person on the phone, and she happily searched for a half dozen VINs. They are not very strict about this.

Quick Reply: Help me find my Dad's 356!