Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all cabriolet owners, asking for a favor...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calling all cabriolet owners, asking for a favor...

Since I never planned on buying a cab until the day I drove off the lot with it, I will have to spend the next days and weeks to read through this forum and educate myself about everything related to owning a cabriolet. I'm not trying to skip this process (I already started), but I would still like to ask you separately:

In your eyes, what are the three or four most important issues related to owning a 997 S cab? What should I be aware of? Short bullets/listings are fine, I will research the issues in detail once they are pointed out to me. I'm obviously not refering to "close the top when it's raining," but to things that even you may not have been aware of initially when you got your first cab. THANKS!

Last edited by Soulteacher; 02-11-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK.. Number #1 bullet.. The new Porsche 911 Indoor Car Cover 000.044.000.77 Does NOT work well with the cab. Its a new lining that acts like Velcro once it touches the top. Very hard to put on and then the real suprise..tons of lint when you remove it. Suave dealers know of this snafu.. Suncoast will not sell one to a cab owner.. they re
comend going to Carcover.com
Number2. Despite what you hear, dont leve top dpwn for prolonged periods of time. It will wrinkle.
Number3. Never put down when wet.
Lastly..Its not nessary to use soap or cleaning agents on the top to much. A rinse with water, then let dry natually leaf blower will suffice. And do purchase one of those lint roller things will the tearoffs. It will come in handy.
Cabs are great.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

I would say dont carry the wind deflector round in the luggage compartment all the time-it takes up most of the space in there!!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Thanks so much so far! That's the stuff I was hoping for!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:10 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Thanks so much so far! That's the stuff I was hoping for!
Sure..Since this is my 11th Spyder/Cabriolet/Convertible, I forgot one . From experience. take a little extra care where you park..Look up. Shade is nice but the chances of sap, berries, and good ol bird do are enhanced. And get that bird do cleaned off ASAP. It will stain a canvas top.
At least we don't have the plastic rear windows to worry about. Had to put a "Turkish" towel between the fold of the window when lowering to prevent scratches!!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:21 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got big bird drop on my roof last weekend, 2 hours after i took out hardtop.
always park your car indoor if you can. you neighter will notice your new cab if you keep the garage door open
Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 PM
05-997Cab
Intermediate

ALso, be absolutely fanatic about your seats going back too far and hitting the wind screen (if you don't have a wind screen, go buy one). Your tall friends will push the seat right back into the screen. You always need about 1/2" to 3/4" clearance between your seat and the screen because the screen will vibrate and flex when you are going fast and it will put black stuff on the back of your seats.
Buy some sealant from the dealer because after you wash your baby a few times you will need to spray the sealant on the top (unless you do not use too much soap as mentioned before)
Be careful when you fold the back seats down as the grease from the seat belt latch will get on your seat belts. Be careful when you put your seats back up as the seat belt will become lodged between the seat and the back wall (this isn't so much for you to worry about but well meaning friends can screw this up in a hurry....
Old 03-17-2006, 12:35 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05-997Cab
ALso, be absolutely fanatic about your seats going back too far and hitting the wind screen (if you don't have a wind screen, go buy one). Your tall friends will push the seat right back into the screen. You always need about 1/2" to 3/4" clearance between your seat and the screen because the screen will vibrate and flex when you are going fast and it will put black stuff on the back of your seats.
Buy some sealant from the dealer because after you wash your baby a few times you will need to spray the sealant on the top (unless you do not use too much soap as mentioned before)
Be careful when you fold the back seats down as the grease from the seat belt latch will get on your seat belts. Be careful when you put your seats back up as the seat belt will become lodged between the seat and the back wall (this isn't so much for you to worry about but well meaning friends can screw this up in a hurry....
i have to say, ALL things happened to me ALREADY.
the back seat got some color from the wind screen. good thing i have black interion.
the seat belt is a pain, jam it in the door A FEW times. leave some marks there. i am think about repaint it or not. well, nobody sees them unless you open the door.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:21 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

(1) I never use the wind deflector (maybe I should?). Keep it in the garage.
(2) Does the car have heated seats? Then everything above 50 F and above (at least to me) is fair game for top down driving.
(3) As far as I know, there is no way to keep the windows from going up as the last step of the top going down. I wonder if this could be programmed into the car like the light off delay can?
(4) If you have young kids, the Britax Starriser booster fits perfectly in the back.

Nice car. Excellent impulse purchase. Since you live in Louisiana just drive the darn thing to Destin and back with the top down all the way for the hell of it...
Old 03-17-2006, 01:42 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Find out when your warranty expires on your top and get them fixed prior to your warranty expiration. The Boxer is prone to tears on the side's due to rivets and the friction against the material with the top up. Normally, the service tech will tell you to wait before warranty expires before replacing a torn top. I believe they will only replace the top once!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I use one of those synthetic drying chamois called Absorber to dry the canvas and it also takes care of the lint problem.

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Find out when your warranty expires on your top and get them fixed prior to your warranty expiration. The Boxer is prone to tears on the side's due to rivets and the friction against the material with the top up. Normally, the service tech will tell you to wait before warranty expires before replacing a torn top. I believe they will only replace the top once!!!
Should I go ahead and damage the top on purpose a few months before the warranty expires?

Originally Posted by S4to911
(4) If you have young kids, the Britax Starriser booster fits perfectly in the back.
I also have that for my 5 years old son, but I usually let him sit in the front because of the angle of the Cab's rear seat (less than 90 degree). One time I forgot to bring the booster and he looked fine seating in the rear without the booster.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:26 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

THPosche wrote: Should I go ahead and damage the top on purpose a few months before the warranty expires?

Well, what you do is your buisness, but I'll assume the service tech will already knows before the two years any failure points on your top, however, you might get away with it if you do a lot of this hehehe
Old 03-17-2006, 04:26 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Wind deflector all but eliminates wind buffeting at highway speeds and is a must if you are tall IMO. However it also eliminates functionality of the rear seat area.... not that there's much to begin with! I'm 6'6" and utilize a fairly upright seat back position with the seat base all the way down and back on the rails. Rubbing on the deflector has not been an issue. Those tall folks who prefer a more "laid back elbows locked" attitude will definitely have the issues mentioned if they are not careful.

As RAKLAW points out, avoid the over priced Teqequipment cover!!!... It's not made for a Cab, despite what the literature says. Buy a custom fit cover from any reputable car cover mfr for half (or less) the price. I'll be having a chat with my "Suave" dealer once it's out of storage......

Put the top down and enjoy!!!

Old 03-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I'm lowering the top and a CD is playing, the music stops briefly (for a second or two) between the top being all the way down (i.e. secured) and the windows starting to go up. It's real obvious and can be used as a signal for when to let off the top down button so your windows stay down. I assume this isn't an anomaly with my Cab.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all of you who contributed so far!!! I really appreciate it.

For future reference (for other information seekers), I would like to add my own two cents of things I did not think about and learned about on Day 2 of my cab adventures:

(1) Get sun blocker and maybe a cap. I drove around for over five hours today in 74 degree weather and my body was a little bit overwhelmed with all that sudden exposure to the sun. I saved myself from more trouble by getting sun blocker at halftime, but I ended up getting a headache because of the sun (no problem, though).

(2) At traffic lights, avoid standing next to a school bus that has its windows open. Kids are kids, food is food, and gravity is gravity.

(3) In the case of birds and/or food, plus gravity, taking their course, take some cleaning materials with you.

Great day, though! She'll have to remain in the garage now for three days because we are getting rainy weather (I'm not yet ready to have her take bad weather), but starting Tuesday, I'll be able to make more observations! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Calling all cabriolet owners, asking for a favor...