Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need directions for cruise control delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:13 PM
pieball
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need directions for cruise control delete

Does anybody have directions for deleting cruise control? Can it be totally deleted without affecting anything else? How much weight savings between the two pieces? Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

I don't think you do it for the weight savings, maybe 3 or 4 lbs max including the brain (near your left shin) and actuator.

Anyways, it's really straight forward, only dificult part is pulling the cable out throught firewall from the gas pedal; you should remove the rubber gromet before trying to yank the cable through. Other than that just undo all electrical connections and un bolt everything and you should be set. Is yours broken?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'm thinking of doing the same. Kinda to start off my cars diet program. Still pretty much gonna keep full interior and whatnot, but loose as much as i can while still being streetable... for now.
~Eyal
Old 03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
painkiller
Racer

I thought the hardest part was getting the frigging cable off the clip on the accelerator while laying on my back in the footwell.

John
Old 03-08-2005, 07:44 PM
pieball
Racer

No not broken, but on a severe diet! All those 2-3-5-7lbs. here and there add up. Don't need it and it's talking up space... I figured mabe 5lbs. all together? As long as it doesn' affect anything once removed is kinda my motto anymore. Thanks, Lincoln
Old 03-08-2005, 08:27 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I deleted mine a long time ago, it was dead weight, I do recall getting the cable through the firewall to be a little irritating. I also deleted the charcoal cannister and the fuel vapor system.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:32 PM
pieball
Racer

Good, why don't I need the fuel vapor system?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

if the fuel purge system is gone on a car that has to be smogged, am i gonna have issues?
~Eyal
Old 03-09-2005, 10:50 AM
pieball
Racer

Is it a fancy name for the charcol canister?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:47 AM
MR951
Racer

Originally Posted by painkiller
I thought the hardest part was getting the frigging cable off the clip on the accelerator while laying on my back in the footwell.

Bump!!!

Any tips on how to get the cable off? I can't figure out how its connected and I'd like to remove it cleanly. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:34 AM
painkiller
Racer

I can try to get a pic later today but IIRC there is a ball and socket type connector on the cable end that attaches to the accelerator pedal. Access is the hardest part since you need to lay on your back to pry it off without smashing your face on the steering wheel or dash. I used a interior panel clip remover and pried it off, then just pulled the cable throught the firewall. The section of the pedal that the clip is attached to wants to deflect when you try to pry the clip off so a few choice swear words with force worked well for me. Let us know how it goes.

John
Old 05-09-2005, 01:00 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

IIRC concentrate on the metal around the rubber that is on the ball socket.
The rubber can stay behind.
I had just the cable sitting on my intake, so I could kind of give it some slack, then I would actuate just that part(not accelerator arm) from the inside to give me some slack and rotated that connector on the ball joint to about parallel to the ground then used a screwdriver on the back side to limit it's travel and while doing that used another on the actual clip(metal part). Came off like a charm.
This of course after spending some time contorted trying to get my head, arms and back under the dash for optimal leverage.
I took a ton of pictures for reference. I will get them at lunch if you have not gotten it by then.

I had no problem whatsoever pulling it through the fire wall. It just had to flex the rubber.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:22 PM
MR951
Racer

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
IIRC concentrate on the metal around the rubber that is on the ball socket.
The rubber can stay behind.
I had just the cable sitting on my intake, so I could kind of give it some slack, then I would actuate just that part(not accelerator arm) from the inside to give me some slack and rotated that connector on the ball joint to about parallel to the ground then used a screwdriver on the back side to limit it's travel and while doing that used another on the actual clip(metal part). Came off like a charm.
This of course after spending some time contorted trying to get my head, arms and back under the dash for optimal leverage.
I took a ton of pictures for reference. I will get them at lunch if you have not gotten it by then.

I had no problem whatsoever pulling it through the fire wall. It just had to flex the rubber.

Thanks, so you pulled it thru the firewall from the inside?

I wasn't sure if the connector needed to be popped off or if there was a clip (like the other end). I'll work on it.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:06 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by MR951
Thanks, so you pulled it thru the firewall from the inside?

I wasn't sure if the connector needed to be popped off or if there was a clip (like the other end). I'll work on it.
I pulled it through from the engine side-no problem!

Dis-engaged the cable from the control unit on passenger side of engine bay, unmounted it from intake, then left it flopping around.

Contorted myself into the foot well and pried the metal off the rubber for the cruise actuator...left the rubber.

Moved back to engine bay and pulled her through like so much Marlin!
I also wore safety goggles, just in case it went swinging my way-it did not, but,
Safety first means you last

My lunch got too busy, when I get home I will post some nice shots of the clip etc..So future hunters can find it...unless someone beats me to it.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:30 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MR951
Bump!!!

Any tips on how to get the cable off? I can't figure out how its connected and I'd like to remove it cleanly. Thanks.
I fought it for an hour or so, finally i just said screw it and snipped the cable at the accelerator pedal with a pair of dykes..took 10 seconds and the cable pulled right out after that. Just make sure you snip the correct cable, as the accelerator cable attaches very closely.

Quick Reply: Need directions for cruise control delete