Sponsored by:

991s picture teaser

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991s picture teaser

A photographer reached out to me via rennlist and wanted to use my car in a shoot. The young man Stephan, wants to work in the auto industry and will add these pics to his portfolio.
Anyway, we met at dawn over the weekend at a couple of locations that Stephan had scouted on Sullivans Island, near my home.
He took hundreds of pictures, and now he is working on editing/merging them. It was fascinating watching the process and im excited to see the end results.
in the meantime here are a couple of pics i took with my iphone.

Last edited by limey940; 05-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

looking forward to seeing all the pics. your car is stunning, i really like the black wheels, it gives it a menacing look.

is it lowered at all?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
A photographer reached out to me via rennlist and wanted to use my car in a shoot...Anyway, we met at dawn over the weekend at a couple of locations that Stephan had scouted on Sullivans Island, near my home....
There is almost as much sand and salt there as on I-95 at the moment.

Looking forward to his edits!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by widers911
looking forward to seeing all the pics. your car is stunning, i really like the black wheels, it gives it a menacing look.

is it lowered at all?
Thank you very much.
yes, i have the H&R springs and 7mm front/15mm rear spacers.
I like the way it fills out the wheel wells.

thanks for noticing!
cheers
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Stunning, love your ride!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Surprised he didn't make you meet him even earlier. The two best times of day for photography are in the twilight moments around dawn and dusk. Did he shoot a lot then and not so much mid-day?
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/timing.htm
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That's going to be one great looking photo spread!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuck911
Surprised he didn't make you meet him even earlier. The two best times of day for photography are in the twilight moments around dawn and dusk. Did he shoot a lot then and not so much mid-day?
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/timing.htm
Yes, the plan was to get the sunrise but the morning started of cloudy which was less than ideal. We finished about mid morning and Stephan was happy with the light. There were a couple of times where it was either coming through a palm tree or hitting the car at a nice angle. Because he doesn't have the unlimited resources of a manufacturer he improvises by setting up the shot, the camera is on a tripod. Then he has a battery pack in his backpack and a very large flash unit enclosed in some type of shroud. He would go around the car positioning the flash device while i hit the remote control to take the shot. As I mentioned, he took literally hundreds of pictures. The next step is merging/editing the pictures so that the end result is a picture of the car with the flash hitting all the right spots.
At one point there were a bunch of dolphins feeding in the sea behind my car, im waiting to see if they come out in the pics as well!
cheers
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
maximmm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much.
yes, i have the H&R springs and 7mm front/15mm rear spacers.
I like the way it fills out the wheel wells.

thanks for noticing!
cheers
We want more details on your h&r settings!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, the plan was to get the sunrise but the morning started of cloudy which was less than ideal. We finished about mid morning and Stephan was happy with the light. There were a couple of times where it was either coming through a palm tree or hitting the car at a nice angle. Because he doesn't have the unlimited resources of a manufacturer he improvises by setting up the shot, the camera is on a tripod. Then he has a battery pack in his backpack and a very large flash unit enclosed in some type of shroud. He would go around the car positioning the flash device while i hit the remote control to take the shot. As I mentioned, he took literally hundreds of pictures. The next step is merging/editing the pictures so that the end result is a picture of the car with the flash hitting all the right spots.
At one point there were a bunch of dolphins feeding in the sea behind my car, im waiting to see if they come out in the pics as well!
cheers
So many details to get right. I took a bunch of pictures at the beach one time, car beautifully detailed, but one of my favorite shots was ruined by a spot on one fender. How had I missed that spot? Wait, its not on the other pictures. What the... its the reflection of a seagull flying by! I cannot even imagine the work this guy must be going through- before, during and after! Sure hope he lets you share a few here.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 AM
peterm
Racer

re sand/salt - i was on i95 Maryland during that recent storm and now my wifes car is so dirty you cant see the rear plate- likely saved us a few photo radar tickets in DC

Had a photo shoot for a magazine done in our home by an architectural photog- took him an aentire day to set up and shoot 8 photos. Perspective and composition (as well as obsessive compulsive personality) are a huge part of getting it right. He took hundreds of digital images before he used the large format film
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't wait to see the final product
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by maximmm
We want more details on your h&r settings!
I did some research on the springs because i did not want a really harsh ride but i wanted to drop the car at least an inch. I bought the springs from:
Tam Nguyen
SUPREMEPOWER, CA 92870
Tel: 714-632-1951 ext 224 | Fax: 714 632 9249 | Mobile: 909-539-5240
Email: tam@supremepower.com | AIM: supremetam
Websites: www.supremepower.com | www.supremepoweroem.com

He was super helpful and the price was excellent. I cant remember how much exactly but it was under $400.
I then went to autometrics, a local indy Porsche shop who specialize in building and maintaining race Porsches. They charged me $1k to install the springs and do a slightly more aggressive alignment for the track.
I'm delighted with the results, i cant feel any appreciable difference in the ride quality, and now that the springs have settled in, the front drop is about 1.5" and the rear a little over 1". This is subjective, but to me it transforms the way the car looks. Whenever i see a nice sports car with a big wheel well gap
it just detracts from the overall look. I was at a cars and coffee event a few weeks ago and it amazed me that even in some pretty nice/modern ferraris there was this huge gap in the wheel wells.
I was also looking for a totally different look from my previous 997.1 silver cab. Something a little more menacing, hence the black wheels, and down here a tint isnt really an option, its a must have, but a bit of a darker tint that i think goes well with the blue and black wheels.
Not everyone's cup of tea i know, but i love it.
Oh, the photographer told me that he will send me the end results that i can publish, so stay tuned.
cheers
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see the pictures!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gorgeous... hey breach inlet, is that iop or sullivans?

Quick Reply: 991s picture teaser