Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS: LS1 swapped '88 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FS: LS1 swapped '88 944 Turbo

Year: 1988
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: 944 Turbo
Mileage (numbers only please): 132500
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof
Color: Red
Price (no $ sign please): $23500
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): SoCAl
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

SOLD

Price - $23,500

Well sorted LS1 swapped 944 Turbo. Retains power steering and power brakes. Rides great on the street and is nothing short of awesome on the track. If you have any questions just ask! I take great pride in this car and will tell you anything you want to know about it.

Car is located in San Diego, CA.
Contact -
I can assist with shipping if needed.

1988 944 Turbo
Guards Red / Black Interior
132,XXX miles
4k+ miles since V8 swap

Many additional pictures are available here
xxx

I am a 13 year 944 owner and an engineer that grossly over maintains my cars. I absolutely love this car but my attention has been diverted to an air cooled 911 project.

I bought this car in January ‘08 from a friend in the Metro NY PCA and have put about 30k miles on it in that time. The last 3 owners before me, through 1998 or so were all PCA members whom spared no expense. Includes a 3" thick folder with logs and receipts of everything that has been done to this car since 1994. I have hundreds of picture documenting every aspect of this car over the 8 years I have owned it.

CarFax and New York State title are both clear. No accidents or odometer issues. I am the 5th owner I think; and I know the last 3. Again, this car comes with a New York State title (i moved last year).

All body panels are original and still have the VIN tag sticker. The front end (fenders, hood, bumper) was resprayed at some point. Everything else is original as far as I can tell. No rust or corrosion anywhere. The paint is decent, but not perfect considering the age and mileage. Not a concourse car, but very presentable. The interior is in great condition, the dashboard has 1 crack with a few small hairline ones developing around the vent holes.

All of the bugs have been worked out since completing the engine swap. Along with the street miles it has completed a number of auto-x’s and DE’s since.

The car has good street manors but holds its composure on the track. It is fast and smooth… the LS1 power band is nothing short of awesome in this car. At just over 2500 rpm it is already making 210ft-lbs and at 3k rpm will maintain no less than 310ft-lbs all the way to redline which is set at 6500rpm.

Details of the LS1 engine swap

This entire build was documented here;
http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t16...ls1-conversion

The donor LS1 was from a rear ended ’04 GTO with 58k miles, it was purchased from a dismantler in PA (I have all paperwork for it including the original VIN from the donor car). The LS1 from the ’04 GTO is the best derivative having the LS6 block. It also comes with the LS6 intake manifold and PCV setup. The engine was taken down short of the pistons and crank; So the rings and rod bearings are original and untouched. Cylinder walls were perfect and bottom end was very clean when I took the pan off.

Every gasket is brand new and while it was apart, I made a few upgrades which have been detailed below. Mostly everything done was to improve long term reliability.

The car was dyno tuned and made 382whp and 348ft-lbs on a Mustang dyno with 93oct. In Jan. 2016 it was retuned for 91oct. 2-degrees timing was pulled to increase the safety margin with the gas available in CA. With this tune it put down 363whp / 349ft-lbs. It’s tuned very well and rides great even at part throttle on the street. No bucking or strange part throttle behavior… it is smooth! The cylinder heads are the stock 241 castings with a basic rebuild. More power is still on the table with ported heads, intake / throttle body and a bigger cam. I opted not to upgrade further because I do believe you can have too much power. The cam installed right now was spec’ed by EPS (Engine Power Systems) for the most usable powerband (and giving you the lopey idle everyone hates to admit they like!).

All engine swap specific parts are from Texas Performance Concepts (TPC); this includes engine mounts / uprights, bell housing adapter, oil pan…etc.

The engine utilizes an f-body accessory drive. One really nice thing about this swap is none of these parts are really one off or unobtanium. Everything is off the shelf stuff.

I am very particular and went through great efforts to make this a clean swap and keep the engine bay tidy. More cleanup of the wiring can be done if your super **** like me; but the car looks great right now as is.

Heat works as normal and has a heater control valve installed. No a/c on this build, but if you were up to the task, it could be reinstalled as everything under the dash is still present.

Engine
5.7L LS1 from ’04 GTO
Rebuilt 241 casting cylinder heads (basic rebuild; valve stems and guides. Minimum cut taken to get the deck flat)
ARP headstuds
LS6 intake manifold
LS6 PCV setup with Saikou Michi dual catch cans
Ported throttle body from Potz Speed
Air filter is from a C5 vette and mounted under the nose panel
EPS 226/230 cam with 113LSA
Trick Flow pushrods
Comp Cams rocker arm trunions
LS7 lifters
LS7 lifter trays
LS2 timing chain with new cam and crank sprockets
LS6 timing chain guide
LS6 blue printed oil pump from Katech
ATI SuperDamper crank pulley
Katech fixed belt tensioner. All other drive pulleys are brand new.
Remote mounted oil filter utilizing the very large (and readily available) Ford FL-1A filter. It’s also not mounted upside down so you don’t dump oil all over the place when removing!
Seatrab front mounted oil cooler and Mocal oil cooler thermostat.
TPC baffled conversion oil pan and oil pickup tube

Fuel Support
All rubber fuel lines from fuel rail to fuel tank have been replaced. Fuel filter as well as fuel pump suction screen in the tank have been replaced.

Fuel system is setup like the original 944 with a return type system.

Aeromotive billet fuel rails
FAST 36# injectors
FuelLab adjustable FPR set at 3-bar fuel pressure
Bosch HV fuel pump

Engine Management / Electrical
Uses factory GM 411 PCM. The PSI standalone harness includes a working OBD2 port mounted by the glove box and also a working check engine light.

All factory gauges work including the factory oil pressure, water temp and tach.

PSI standalone engine harness
411 PCM
New Bosch alternator
All battery cables are new

Exhaust
The headers are long tubes from Texas Performance Concepts and were coated by SwainTech. The headers merge into a Y-pipe which connects to a 4” single exhaust (yes you read that right, 4” exhaust) with a Magnaflow muffler.

The car has a very distinctive lopey idle and screams at full throttle.

Cooling
Engine runs very cool at speed and has no issue maintaining temperature at idle.

Radiator is from Renegade Hybrids for LS swapped cars. This radiator is made by Ron Davis and is excellent quality.

Hoses are off the shelf parts available at any autopart store than are cut to fit. I have all the part #’s to make spares.

Spal 16” straight blade puller fan – the most powerful you can fit without modifying the radiator mounting.

Brand new water pump and thermostat

Clutch
The clutch is a Spec Stage 2 setup. Very good street manors and will support well over 600ft-lbs. Pedal is firm but manageable even in traffic. The C5 2pc bell housing is mated to the Porsche torque tube with a TPC billet bell housing adapter.

Spec Stage 2 clutch disc and pressure plate
Spec billet flywheel (great engine response)
C5 throwout bearing
McLeod remote bleeder (can bleed from under the hood, no need to crawl under the car!)
Wilwood .8125” bore clutch master cylinder

Steering
Power steering is retained with a 944 steering rack. The rack is powered by an F-Body power steering pump which was re-valved by Turn1 to work with the Porsche rack. All high pressure lines on the rack were replaced with stainless braided lines to improve routing around the oil pan. The steering shaft was lengthened to accommodate the slight cross member drop. A power steering cooler is installed next to the radiator.

Brakes
Power assist brakes were retained by retrofitting a 2000 Ford Mustang hydro boost unit. This is a hydraulic brake booster than runs off the power steering pump. The Ford hydro boost unit is mounted to the firewall using a custom adapter plate. The master cylinder is also from the Ford Mustang. All parts are brand new as well; the hydro boost unit is new from Ford Motorcraft along with the master cylinder (not rebuilt parts).

A Tilton bias valve is mounted next to the shifter column to control rear brake bias which shifts rearward with the Ford master cylinder.

The car has excellent stopping power and very low effort is required on the pedal thanks to the power assist.

Body
The only modifications needed body wise was removing the hood latch and headlight bar. The upper radiator support was also removed to accommodate the larger core. Aerocatch locking hood latches were installed. Also a 914 headlight motor was installed on the driver’s side to retain the pop up headlight functionality.

Drive train
Drive train from the bell housing back is all Porsche

Turbo S AOR gear box with LSD
Black Sea R&D Rebuilt Torque Tube AKA Constantine’s SuperBearings
Lindsey Racing semi-solid transmission mount
Factory transmission cooler
Only944 short shift linkage

Drivers side CV Joints replaced with new GKN CV’s, passenger side was repacked. Both sides packed with Redline CV2 Grease
Stage8 locking hardware for CV Joints

Suspension / Steering
KW Coilovers are installed with rear torsion bars (how the KW Coilovers were designed to be run). Rear ride height is set at lowest setting using camber eccentric on trailing arm, front is set to match as per KW’s settings.

Alignment is currently set fairly conservative (more street than track) with tire wear in mind.

KW Variant 3 coilovers
Racers Edge camber plates
Racers Edge spherical caster blocks
Billet torsion tube carrier blocks
968 M030 30mm front sway bar
968 M030 adjustable 19mm rear sway bar
968 control arms
Elephant Racing bump steer correction tie rod ends
KLA strut tower brace
KLA front sway bar braces
Racers Edge delrin sway bar bushings front
Racers Edge delrin sway bar bushings rear with billet carriers
Aluminum sway bar shaft collars
Custom adjustable spherical droplinks
Delrin steering rack bushing

The steering rack is a rebuilt unit with about 1k miles on it. All steering lines are brand new with the engine swap.

Wheels
CCW Classics
17x9 and 17x10.5
Falken RT615 tires 245f/275r

Brakes
928 S4 Front Calipers (rebuilt) with Racers Edge billet adapters
Porterfield R4 pads front
Hawk HPS rear pads
ATE Turbo S slotted front rotors
New Zimmermann rotors on rear
ATE Gold fluid
Stainless braided lines
968 brake cooling scoops

Interior / Safety
Redline Rennsport 4pt rollbar
Sparco 6pt harnesses
2.5lb Halotron bottle
Recaro SRD Seats with sub belt slot
Stainless steel door sills
FlamingEyes LED dash lights
Momo Mod07 steering wheel
Rennline aluminum shift ****
Rennline aluminum pedals
Rennline aluminum track mats

Gauges
Defi electronic boost gauge (it’s turned into a great vacuum gauge for the LS1!)
Defi electronic oil pressure gauge with ProSport filter plate adapter
SPA dual digital water temp / oil temp gauge

Ecliptech Shift-I shift light
Innovate Motorsports LC-1 wideband sensor with XD-16 AFR gauge
Custom made dual gauge pod for right center fan vent
Lindsey Racing DIN panel for under the radio

Exterior
968 aero mirrors
968 fiberglass replica hoop spoiler
Filled in taillight dead cells
Red rear turn signal lenses
OEM Fiberglass Euro rear bumper
AIR front splitter
Rennline lower shock mount rear tow hooks
Rolled rear fenders
Sekurit windshield replaced in 2014

Lighting and Electrical
Cibie E-Code lenses
Odyssey PC-925 lightweight battery
Custom made billet mount for PC-925
IceShark’s battery cables (some of them were able to be reused with engine swap)
IceShark’s headlight wire harness
Amber Euro driving / fog lights
Alpine Radio with iPod / iPhone hookup

Last edited by Techno Duck; 06-28-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: FS: LS1 swapped '88 944 Turbo