996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

On the hunt, help a brother out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the hunt, help a brother out.

With my turn of events I am on the hunt for a great 996!

i am waiting for some additional information from Spork regarding the possibility of purchasing his car, but in the meantime...

Does anyone know anything about these cars? Thanks in advance!

http://www.cedarsautogroup.com/2004_Porsche_911_Pasaden_CA_265651189.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5891024178.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5848967876.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5854029289.html
Old 12-07-2016, 02:02 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

The silver cab in Playa Vista looks nice. He just dropped the asking price by $1k as well. I'm in that area at least once a week. I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. I actually looked at the C4 at Cedars in Pasadena last week. It was beat to hell and sales guy was classic sleazeball. Take a look at theie yelp reviews. Stay far away from that one.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:28 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
The silver cab in Playa Vista looks nice. He just dropped the asking price by $1k as well. I'm in that area at least once a week. I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. I actually looked at the C4 at Cedars in Pasadena last week. It was beat to hell and sales guy was classic sleazeball. Take a look at theie yelp reviews. Stay far away from that one.
awesome! Thanks for the heads up on the C4S. If you could take a look at the 03 in playa I would appreciate it. Let me know what you find out!
Old 12-07-2016, 02:30 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

No problem. I'll let you know.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:31 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Anyone know anything about this one? I texted back and forth with him and he says he used to be a member. Pretty nice looking 996. He said IMS has not been done but has owned it the last 5 years and has all the paperwork on it.

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=410047936
Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

HawkFan#12

Take a look at my 996, for sale. It needs nothing, other than perhaps to be on the left coast.......
Old 12-07-2016, 08:54 AM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Hawk, I'm not sure how far you want to travel, but here is a nice looking cab.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5881151158.html
Old 12-07-2016, 09:06 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkFan#12
He said IMS has not been done but has owned it the last 5 years and has all the paperwork on it.
This is what you are looking for.

Originally Posted by Country911
HawkFan#12

Take a look at my 996, for sale. It needs nothing, other than perhaps to be on the left coast.......
And this! County911 is awesome to do business with in my experience.

Remember, buying a 12+ yo German sports car is a risky endeavor no matter what. All you are trying to do is the due diligence to attempt to reduce your risk as much as possible.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:19 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Thanks for the suggestions. Ultimately I have found that I dont have a specific car I am looking for. I just know I want a convertible, 6 speed. I tend to like the black leather, but it's not a deal breaker. The red one I posted above in Illinois is pretty nice looking. The ims bearing not being done scares me. There is also a silver one from a member that I may be interested in as well. I am looking for unique if possible as well. I know, I am all over the place.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:36 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rather have a stock car than one with the ims already done.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Nice one in San Francisco.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5908809445.html

And another in OC.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5899838423.html

Last edited by Bash Hat; 12-07-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:31 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkFan#12
Thanks for the suggestions. Ultimately I have found that I dont have a specific car I am looking for. I just know I want a convertible, 6 speed. I tend to like the black leather, but it's not a deal breaker. The red one I posted above in Illinois is pretty nice looking. The ims bearing not being done scares me. There is also a silver one from a member that I may be interested in as well. I am looking for unique if possible as well. I know, I am all over the place.
Sure you don't want a C4S? This looks nice!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5892633570.html
Old 12-07-2016, 01:33 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're looking for a turnkey 996 convertible with IMS already sorted, I've got a nice one in FL recently put up for sale.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post13752939

Price is elevated to keep tire kickers away, I'm open to negotiations. I was planning to drive it throughout the winter (best top-down season here) and maybe put it on Bring A Trailer site in spring. But, there's a local coupe I'm also interested in possibly turning into a track car, so I'm open to selling it sooner than later.

I'm an open book, and my engine build and issues sorted along the way are all mentioned in my posts here in the forum. If interested, I encourage you to read up and ask any questions. I have tons of pics of the various things done to the car since I got it. Most recently, I put a SiriusXM tuner into it this past weekend to take more advantage of the Sony head unit's extensive capabilities.

I would be willing to drive it to a dealer or indy of your choice for a PPI, or meet up with another rennlister if you want to arrange something like that...

Used oil analysis came back yesterday.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:49 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

PCA.org has a 1999 29k mi cab listed at 22k asking. LN bearing done by dealer along with clutch as i recall.

No affiliation.

Alabama as i recall.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Hawkfan. I took a look at the C2 cab in Playa Del Rey this morning. Here's the deal.

I met with Darryl at his house in Playa, very nice guy. He has been in the car leasing business for years. The car belongs to a friend of his who lives a couple miles away. An older lady (attorney). The car is not being used as she purchased a Tesla and he offered to list it for her and wade through the typical Craigslist flakes, tire kickers etc. She has owned the car for approx 4 years. Has a book of receipts (in the frunk). Original IMS. Car overall seems very clean. A couple minor surface scratches, but could probably be buffed out. Driver's side rear Bridestone needs to be replaced soon. Getting close to the wear bars. Other 3 are good. She has 295's on the rear. Wheels look like they are at least 10" wide in the back. Wheels look good. He showed me an older photo of one with some curb rash but the owner had it polished out. The front bumper has a lip added. The front lip and bumper has been painted (little overspray on the headlight rubbers). He showed me an old photo of the lip and there was about a 3" area that the paint had chipped and peeled off from scraping on a steep driveway. Repair looks good other than the overspray but it's very very slight. I noticed the hood doesn't quite align on the passenger side. Could be needing a hinge adjustment. I asked him about it and he said the car has never been hit (other than the steep driveway). Said the Carfax was clean. Top looks good. Interior looks clean. She added a DVD screen in dash (not a NAV). I had him start the car up. It was cold. Fired right up and no ticking, knocking or any other weird noises. I have a video of the engine running. If you want to PM me your email or cell# I can send it to you. Aftermarket K&N intake. Otherwise the motor is all stock.

The original owner had installed a primered GT3 style wing on to the deck. Saw a photo. Looked hideous. She had it removed and the mounting holes filled and painted. You'd never know. The deck lid looks like new. One small hairline crack in the pass side tail light lens.

Honestly the car seems to be in very good condition. The owner has no problem if you want to take it to a local indy for a PPI. She's had it listed for 2 months and has gotten a lot of calls but almost all have flaked. I think she'd be open to negotiate as the car is sitting in Darryl's garage and he wants the space back. If I was in the market for a cab I would probably jump on it myself, but I'm looking for a coupe.

Anyway, hope that helps. If you want me to send you the vid clip of the motor running just let me know.

Cheers,
Stu.

Quick Reply: On the hunt, help a brother out.