Notices

DE insurance update

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 06:03 PM
911newb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big "whack" that Joe referenced at LCMT last year was covered by Intact.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:07 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911newb
The big "whack" that Joe referenced at LCMT last year was covered by Intact.
was that the GT3 in turn 1 in Green group that my student was following??
Old 01-24-2016, 10:04 AM
911newb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe could better answer where it happened but it was a blue 997.1 GT3.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:33 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ993
Old Post But since I just saw this I would like to add Intact Lost on this at Divisional Court.
Someone apparently blew a tire in a 930 at Mosport.
The car was a Write Off.
The owner Filed a Claim. His insurer, Intact Refused to pay.

Claimant took matter to Divisional Court.
Claimant Won.
Intact Refused to pay Again. Took Matter to Superior Court.

Intact Lost Second Time and Superior Court Judge Laid Down the law!!

Judge / Court Ruling Created Precedent - Cars are Covered for DE.
Now u race guys - maybe another story>? I 've seen u drive lol !!!

This can be researched on Canlii - Intact Porsche Divisional Court

Perhaps a Lawyer can step in here and provide updates - i think this all occurred about 2008.
TJ
The Court Ruling may have affected me and anyone else with State Farm Insurance negatively.

Since 2001 I had a letter on file with State Farm Insurance confirming they knew I took my cars to DE's and that I would not expect coverage for any potential damages from a DE.
In return they would not cancel my road insurance for said cars even though they were driven at DEs.

Well, a few days ago State Farm Insurance called me because one of the cars was up for a renewal.

They were polite and warned me that since State Farm has been bought/merged with Certa's Insurance group there was some changes in affect.

They would been calling each Policy holder at each renewal and asking a few questions.

The one question we all care about was asked... "Will you take your car to a Race Track even if its Training related regardless of timing or racing."

Me... not this car so No but what if I said Yes.
Response... Then we would not renew your Policy.
Me... What I am not asking for coverage at the Track.
Response... Doesn't matter if you will take it to a race track your street policy will be canceled.

I see... okay I guess I will be shopping for a new Insurance provider and it won't be just the car I want to take on the track that will be Insured somewhere other then State Farm.

It looks like I found a solution for Ontario residents but I don't have it in writing yet.

So anyone with State Farm be ware the phone call is coming to your ear real soon and I would not gamble with this by saying "No" if you do intend to track the car because they could probably deny paying your street claim if they find out some how that you drove your car on the race track.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carm

Thank you for sharing. This will be very useful to many on the forum, lets hope it's not an industry trend
Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM
kgoertz
Pro

That isn't good. I'm with State Farm now and have been for decades. It sounds like it might be a good time to switch.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:34 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Default Discretionary annonymity

I deliberately mentioned an ANONYMOUS whack, solely to illustrate a point..
No sense in drawing attention to an individual's misfortune.

In every Driver's Meeting, we have all heard the disclaimers about " no timing, no competitive driving, not a race, etc" . There is a reason for this.

Is it solely to ward off evil spirits?

Are my discussions with my insurance agents, naive and wishful thinking?

Maybe, but we are all aware of the discomfort we would endure in 'writing off' our precious cars.

This line of thinking helps me sleep. Like a glass of warm milk, or a kiss goodnight.
Apnea be damned!
Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 AM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I think I can chime in on this,

Last year I was insured by belair.

I asked them how much it would cost to be covered for DE events.

The broker submitted the question and the answer he got back surprised him. It said I pretty much had 2 weeks to find another insurer since they would be cancelling my policy because the car might end up on a racetrack.

I switched over to PAFCO since they offer road insurance just like any other insurance, but they also specifically insure your car for the track. Since it's a policy tailor made for ppl that do DE types of event, it's clear as day that the car is covered if something happens. I think the deductible is 5000$ (a small amount compared to what putting those cars in a wall can cost!)

It cost me around 1-2k more for the year than my previous insurance but I think it's worth it considering the amount that's insured and also for the peace of mind it offered during last years DE's.

If anyone's interested:

Invessa (Senay)
545, Promenade du Centropolis, Suite 215
Laval, Quebec H7T 0A3
Office: 450-688-6226
Fax: 450-688-6545
Courriel : senay@invessa.com
Courriel : jacques.senay@invessa.com

Last edited by C4SGRPDK; 02-09-2016 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Default Ontario Insurance Info

Originally Posted by cavlino
The Court Ruling may have affected me and anyone else with State Farm Insurance negatively.

Since 2001 I had a letter on file with State Farm Insurance confirming they knew I took my cars to DE's and that I would not expect coverage for any potential damages from a DE.
In return they would not cancel my road insurance for said cars even though they were driven at DEs.

Well, a few days ago State Farm Insurance called me because one of the cars was up for a renewal.

They were polite and warned me that since State Farm has been bought/merged with Certa's Insurance group there was some changes in affect.

They would been calling each Policy holder at each renewal and asking a few questions.

The one question we all care about was asked... "Will you take your car to a Race Track even if its Training related regardless of timing or racing."

Me... not this car so No but what if I said Yes.
Response... Then we would not renew your Policy.
Me... What I am not asking for coverage at the Track.
Response... Doesn't matter if you will take it to a race track your street policy will be canceled.

I see... okay I guess I will be shopping for a new Insurance provider and it won't be just the car I want to take on the track that will be Insured somewhere other then State Farm.

It looks like I found a solution for Ontario residents but I don't have it in writing yet.

So anyone with State Farm be ware the phone call is coming to your ear real soon and I would not gamble with this by saying "No" if you do intend to track the car because they could probably deny paying your street claim if they find out some how that you drove your car on the race track.
Unfortunately I could not find a solution for Ontario I tried 4 different companies.

Each company was referred to me by an owner that has their car insured with them and they have been told in the past by said insurer that they are covered at DEs.

I was told by each of them that even though I have a clean driving record (I have never had an at fault Insurance claim and I have been driving since 1979) if I was planning to drive my street car on the track for any reason they would not insure it for the street.

So that's it for me, I am throwing in the towel on driving my street insured car on the track.

I will be at all the events this year but so far it looks like I will be just teaching.

Now if someone was willing to sell one of their mostly dedicated track 911s (Phil) that could be a solution

I know I should consider a Boxster or a Cayman as well but there is something about the way the 911 drives that just feels so good for me.

Oh, back to the main topic, sorry for the temporary derail of this thread.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn!

Carm, we told you not to sell the 993.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Paging Felipe....
Old 02-19-2016, 03:23 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

So... is there anyone here from Ontario that has auto insurance with a company that knowingly covers them on the track? Or perhaps only covers them on the street but with the explicit understanding that the car will be driven on a track (without coverage) during a DE event? Am not looking for another "I know of a guy" story, insurance in QC or someone else from ON that thinks they are not being naive in their belief that they are covered during track events. Anyone? Bueller?
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dwane
Damn!

Carm, we told you not to sell the 993.
I know what a fool I feel like now!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:55 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928gt
So... is there anyone here from Ontario that has auto insurance with a company that knowingly covers them on the track? Or perhaps only covers them on the street but with the explicit understanding that the car will be driven on a track (without coverage) during a DE event? Am not looking for another "I know of a guy" story, insurance in QC or someone else from ON that thinks they are not being naive in their belief that they are covered during track events. Anyone? Bueller?
My State Farm Insurance agent who is also a long time friend of mine tried to help me out. He contacted the Facilities Insurance Group, they cover people that are high risk, you know like after you have been caught Stunt Driving or had all your points removed. They would cover a street car on the road even though it has mods like Roll Bar and Suspension updates that are not stock. As soon as he told them I would like to also take the car to DEs.... NO! So that's when I threw in the towel.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:56 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dwane
Paging Felipe....
In case another Page is needed...

Quick Reply: DE insurance update