Paris - le mans .. dooable ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts
Default Paris - le mans .. dooable ?

Hey guys

I know a few of you have done le mans in the past and is definitely in my bucket list.

Coincidentally my girlfriend went to school in Paris and would love to go back. I am thinking maybe next year I could combine a trip doing Paris and le Mans. its about 200K from Paris to Lemans. Do any of you think this is doable > would I do it on my own or get a travel company to arrange it all ? .

I mean Paris is easy , just get your wallet out. But the lemans part I'm not sure about , how far ahead would I need to be to get tickets and accommodation. Not to mention travel, I'm sure I would train it from Paris to Lemans

Any thoughts ?

just a feasibility study right now.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:37 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Years ago I did it and we took the train. It was great.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

did you get accommodation at le mans for a few days or just in and out for the race ?
Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Train. No problem. I did Paris to Monaco - best trip ever.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally doable. I did Paris - Monaco. Train would be a great trip and you could book tickets once you get to Paris with very little effort. It would be an amazing trip - post pics!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Hey guys

Any thoughts ?
Hi Clive, When you are settled on if you want to do this, I can give you all the info you'll need to do this. We (a friend, his and my spouse) are doing this exact trip this year. My friend and I fly out on a Tuesday night getting into CDG wed morning and then train to Le Mans by Wed mid day. We are at Le Mans until the following Monday morning when we take the train back to Paris where we meet our spouses whom are flying in that morning (Monday post race weekend). The four of us are spending the week in Paris and then flying out on the Sunday morning back to YVR.

Bookings for Le Mans start around Sept and you can book your flights at that time. Trains book no sooner than six weeks or so before the race. Hotels can take bookings eight months to a year in advance. There isn't much near the track in Le Mans although there are some bed and breakfast places in town. We are camping at Le Mans, bringing our own sleeping bags and tent this time (they no longer provide the tents as they did last time we were there) and staying at a secure campsite run by a British company that has a great meal plan (have have a dinner and bar set up) and arrange entry tickets and grandstand seats for you plus they have male and female showers and washroom facilities - just bring your own soap and a towel.

Budget is everything of course as there are way up scale Le Mans trips that cost many, many, thousands of dollars but the camping with two meals, tickets (including reserved grandstand seats) is slightly over $1000 which does not include train tickets, airfare, hotel, wine or food in Paris or beer at the track!! Beer is 6 Euro at the track and our campsite has a great deal at $4.50 Euro.

As you know Paris I'm sure you have a favorite hotel and if not I can give you a good recommendation. We're staying in the 6th district at a nice cozy place within a 10 min walk to the Louvre.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally doable... You can catch the train to LeMans right in the Charles Du Gaulle airport. Land, get luggage, hop on train. Be in LeMans in 45 minutes.

I suggest that after LeMans, continue on the train to St. Malo for a 1-2 night stay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Malo Then hop back on the train to Paris, or spend a night in Rennes on the way back. Paris is cool and all... but St.Malo and Rennes are very nice places to visit in France. LeMans?!?... not so much to do outside of a big car race.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Wow guys this is fantastic advice. Thanks guys.

Il reach out once we decide.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Stay in Nice down by the marina.

Short bus or helicopter ride into town.

Quick Reply: Paris - le mans .. dooable ?