Its a sad day indeed

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990944S2
My customer yesterday completely agrees ...new snow shoes and a pre-winter tune, then across the street for my service. I think he likes how it bombs through the snow ...and the 4S is perfect for headin' down to Palm Beach for a few weeks, right in the middle of another Polar Vortex.

The Winter Car
I would be driving it too if I had to make lease payments.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a hard top and snows w/rims for the Beepster. I plan on driving it when the roads are clear. I have a 2010 F-150 FX-4 for my daily driver ... "winter sports car" for the other days.

Having cancer, which I am having removed next week, has taught me that I need to enjoy things in life. The Beepster is built to take the winters complete with heated seats and defrosters and I plan on driving it when I can. It is easier to take this to the hospital and parking it than the truck. I'll have to go for radiation treatments and will drive when I can. The Cancer Society will provide rides when I can't anymore depending on my physical health. I intend on enjoying things when I can and winter is not going to stop me. Just the snow which does not fall every day. I'm lucky I guess as I can get the car on a hoist at friends shop (HPCARS) and power wash it when I want, as well as detail it in a heated garage. There are touch-less car washes that spray the under carriage as well. Car is a 2002 and will survive the winter.

Life is short ... do those things that makes one happy and for me, driving the Beepster in winter does make me happy, always missed it when in storage. Keep it clean and it should be OK.

I'm also retired so my driving will be less than most.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:19 AM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

winter tires
Old 10-31-2014, 01:36 AM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Right on, Jaak
Old 10-31-2014, 03:05 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air feels like it will snow soon.

I'm the storage kind of owner.
I'm more concerned about other 'drivers' than wear and tear.

It's a sad time of year and share your grief.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 AM
1990944S2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
Life is short ... do those things that makes one happy and for me, driving the Beepster in winter does make me happy, always missed it when in storage. Keep it clean and it should be OK.
Yes Jaak, it'll be OK ...power washing to ensure that wet salt won't be sitting on vulnerable panels for any length of time is key. Be happy ...drive it!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:06 AM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I wasn't really expecting so much controversy.
Anyway, I will store it for a few reasons.
Would like to keep the car as pristine as possible and storing it thru winter will keep the mileage down when I decide to resell.
When I bought the car this summer, my full intention was to have a summer sports car.

I've decided to sit in a lawnchair with a case of beer, and a kitten in my lap.

:-)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 19VFB19
I wasn't really expecting so much controversy.
Anyway, I will store it for a few reasons.
Would like to keep the car as pristine as possible and storing it thru winter will keep the mileage down when I decide to resell.
When I bought the car this summer, my full intention was to have a summer sports car.

I've decided to sit in a lawnchair with a case of beer, and a kitten in my lap.

:-)
Don't stress it. I like to enter my car in the occasional show and shine so I like to keep it clean as well.
I'm with you and the same conversation / argument comes up every year.
Your welcome to come across the street and sit in a heated garage if you wish as well.
Beer fridge and TV now installed for hockey watching.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 AM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome.
Thanks will.
At least let me supply the kittens.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

naw .. this is more discusion than controversey.

My car is 36 years old .. not a new car by any means, and i drive it as long as i can . i have special wheels and tire combos for spring and fall that allow me to drive in cold weather. In fact i was out last night with no roof as ususal visiting a buddy to work on his engine.
But all that said when the end of the season comes its not sad for me , ive usually had enough and am ready to put it away. it rides harder shifts tougher when cold obviously , creaks a little more ... oh wait that was me ..

After 20 years of driving Porsches its not really a sad day .. just another part of the routine and im usually happy as i roll her away i completed another season without major incident.

Fairwell to another driving season ...
Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I drove mine at winter long, yes a lowly 996 all winter long while I lived in the GTA, but it is much different once your out of the GTA and actually have snow. I am still knocking off sand today from all the hidden places it can collect on the car because I drove a couple times last winter. Not the same thing at all out here so I can see the different points of view. I have winter tires on but I don't plan to drive it unless I really have to or there is some sort of miracle that happens and the roads are clear. Until then I will be pulling out the beer and lawn chair.
I found the exact opposite. So much slush/salt/spray in the city the car gets really gross very fast. In the country you are quite often just dealing with snow. Pretty white snow for all 4 wheels to grab on to.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
naw .. this is more discusion than controversey.

My car is 36 years old .. not a new car by any means, and i drive it as long as i can . i have special wheels and tire combos for spring and fall that allow me to drive in cold weather. In fact i was out last night with no roof as ususal visiting a buddy to work on his engine.
But all that said when the end of the season comes its not sad for me , ive usually had enough and am ready to put it away. it rides harder shifts tougher when cold obviously , creaks a little more ... oh wait that was me ..

After 20 years of driving Porsches its not really a sad day .. just another part of the routine and im usually happy as i roll her away i completed another season without major incident.

Fairwell to another driving season ...
You couldn't have said it better Clive!

I think all my plastic parts would just break off if I drove my 86.

Plus, when it's away, one less car to work on.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Just post in this thread asking to join the league, that's it. We drive only the RUF Track.

Practice every wednesday and race every sunday.

Here's the schedule

"Championship of North East USA and Canada"

October 29 - Watkins Glen Boot
November 5 - Mosport
November 12 - NJMP
November 19 - Mid Ohio
November 26 - VIR
December 3 - Montreal

I know a shortcut for Silverstone. May try and make one of these races one day.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

They way to preserve a car during winter driving is NOT to park it in a garage. Keep it outside so the slush stays frozen. The thawing of the salted shush is what does the most damage. A heated garage is the worse. I was my cars once a week and spend as much time washing the bottom as the top. I use a manual carwash that cost $2. Only use the brush every 5th time. 99% of the crap is all salt, blast it off with the power washer and good for another week.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:23 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know what you guys mean, it's 65 degrees in San Diego, today... burrrr..I'm gonna need a sweater, soon.

Quick Reply: Its a sad day indeed