Notices

Import car from US to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:23 PM
The French Dude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import car from US to Canada

Hi there is someone of you could tell me where I could get information concerning procedure to import a car from US to Canada ?
For exemple import a 80's or so 911 do I have to pay GST-PST ect..

Thank you guys !
Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Brought my car in form the US in 2011.
Check out these sites.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5048-eng.html

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...-index-445.htm

Have all the paperwork sent to the border at least 3 days before.
You will pay 6.1% duty on German cars as well as the 5% GST.
You will pay the local PST when you get your plates.

Don't know about the Quebec borders but Ontario was a snap.
20 minutes on the US side and another 45 on the Canadian side.

If its a newer car, then you have to take it to Porsche for a check and recall clearance letter.
They charge $500 but you have no choice.
Then off to Canadian Tire for an RIV inspection.
Then you can get plates and that's when you pay for any provincial taxes.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

You can get the safety clearance letter from a dealer in the US too. Most will do it for free.

The laws on the duty because its made outside of North America is supposed to change soon.....or so I've read somewhere.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

French Dude,

Since you're looking at an 80's car, it's well outside the RIV's control zone (15 years old is as far back as RIV cares about) so the steps you would follow are as follows.

1) Find Car, Haggle on Price, come to agreement etc...
2) Make sure the seller faxes a copy of the title and bill of sale to the US Customs Vehicle Export office that you plan on crossing at. It has to be at that border point.
3) Arrange transport or go get the car yourself. If you're paying someone to do it for you, use TFX and let them handle everything. They will hold your hand step by step. If you're hiring someone to transport it for you, you can stop reading now and skip to Step 6.

4) If you're going to bring the car over yourself. Stop at the US Customs office BEFORE you cross the border. They will want to see the car and sign off on it before leaving the country. They're real a-holes about this and you can get in trouble if you do go back to the US with the car. The whole process takes like 15 minutes.

5) After they send you on your way, you go thru Canadian customs and declare the car. You will pay the GST at the border and they will give you a Form 1 stamped.

6) After you get that, since your car is more than 15 years old, you can go straight to the licensing office (SAAQ in Quebec?) and register the car as you would normally (I'm assuming you just get a safety and an e-test like in Ontario...but who knows with Quebec). You will pay the provincial taxes at the time of registration in the province.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
You can get the safety clearance letter from a dealer in the US too. Most will do it for free.

The laws on the duty because its made outside of North America is supposed to change soon.....or so I've read somewhere.
PCNA will no longer issue recall clearance letters to Canadian purchasers.
This was original plan.
They tell you to call Porsche Canada and make arrangements with your local dealer for the letter , inspection thus the $500.

Strange but I had no problem at US customs but then I was there a half hour before closing.
Also, it was pouring rain.
Guard just said " hmmm...a Porsche huh?"
"Yup" I said.
stamp, stamp, stamp,tear.
"Here ya go" he says.
"Don't you wanna inspect the car"?
He looks out the window "Nope...have a nice day sir".

Same thing in Canada except it took 45 minutes for the same thing.
2 old ladies with a car full of clothes and groceries weren't quite a s lucky watching their stuff
being toss out of the car.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

don't forget to notify US customs point of enty the VIN 72 hours before crossing. As Dale pointed out if car is manufactured 25 years ago you do not pay 6.1% just hst and some transfer fees and there is also air conditioning tax. if the car is 2008 and newer it could have gas guzzler tax.
I saw your post about asking to become a pca instructor...do you own a pcar now or just lots of planning? there are some great deals and much better selection for cars in US btw. I have brought 4 cars in from US so far. One of the biggest hassles can be getting permit/plates for transport if driving it and paying for the car in a way that is safe for buyer and seller. Also don't buy any Porsche sight unseen or without a ppi. If pre 996 leakdown and compression test are a must in my book.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

You can have a US dealer do an outstanding warranty campaign printout. Worked for me.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
PCNA will no longer issue recall clearance letters to Canadian purchasers.
This was original plan.
They tell you to call Porsche Canada and make arrangements with your local dealer for the letter , inspection thus the $500
Correct. As of January this year U.S. dealers cannot provide it. Jack Daniels Porsche in the U.S. could not provide me with the recall clearance letter. I called PCNA and complained and they said "get bent".

Paid Downtown Porsche to do my inspection and provide me with the recall clearance letter.

Oh fun.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 PM
The French Dude
Instructor

Thank you all for all answers !

Turbodan I do have a p-car (03 boxster S) but planning a 911 asap. I am looking both sides, US and Canada. Regarding some of US prices compared to Canadian ones I was asking myself if it's a bargain or not. So as I am not really familiar to import procedures I preferred to ask here. I know some of you did it many times.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I did an extensive write up on this a few years ago. Very little (if anything) important has changed, so it's still very relevant.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/canad...to-canada.html
Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

I just bought an 83 944 SP2 race car from the US,like previously mentioned ,send the paperwork to the US Export office in Champlain NY to get everything approved and they will tell you what you need.

Shoot me a PM and i'll give you the Canada and US customs phone numbers.
Just want to add that if you plan to have it transported by a carrier,make a few phone calls,there is a sponsor on the 911 forum but their service is a joke ...

Cheers
Phil
Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
You can have a US dealer do an outstanding warranty campaign printout. Worked for me.
^^^
Worked for me on my '10 this past April. US dealer provided that.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Class VI
Advanced

I've been keeping a pretty close eye on prices on both sides of the border and at least for what I'm looking at (996/997) there doesn't seem to be much price benefit right now in the states.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:20 PM
medent
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I imported two Porsches into Canada this year (April and July) and for each I called the US Porsche dealer that had serviced the cars and each immediately emailed me the recall letter (outstanding recall report). So the dealers who said no are just being jerks. Just be nice to them and they should help you out. Paying $500 to Porsche is nuts.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
That's exactly what I got and worked too. RIV only wants this with a letter head of a dealer that has the name Porsche in it. I reality one could type one of these up on their own PC at home as I don't think RIV checks the validity.

Quick Reply: Import car from US to Canada