Sponsored by:

Video Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Thanks all. Buddy of mine hit a wall this weekend and I saw video of it on YouTube this morning. He wasn't aware of it.
That's messed up. Often these idiots don't even realize they're doing something wrong.

I've crashed before. I'd be very embarrassed and pissed off if someone posted video or pics online. I'm already feeling like sh*t because of the crash - I don't need it blared all over the internet.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:34 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I commented on the video expressing the sentiment that it was poor form to post without the driver's ok; to his credit, he took the video down.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

A few years ago I was at a DE where the cars in front of me got tangled together. It was clearly one driver's fault so I approached the victim and told him I had video of the events if he wanted them.

I trimmed out just that portion of my run and granted him private access to it on a server I host. Haven't shared it with anyone else as I figured it could cause complications for all parties.

Personally I wouldn't share it unless all involved were okay with posting it publicly. Yes I know it happened in plain view and could have been recorded by others but I had nothing to gain by putting it out there so it was not even considered.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 AM
joeykid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allow me to play the Devil's advocate. This sport is all about learning. There is always something else you can learn to improve. In car videos of fast laps are watched by all of us to improve. We look at line, braking points, where the driver is getting to full throttle, corner speeds , etc... I understand That most of us have big egos and only want to post our best videos. However, there is something to be learned from other's mishaps. Early on in my driving, I would look at crash videos for tracks I raced on. It allowed me to discover what were the riskier corners on a track and where there is runoff or no runoff. I would study the video and try to identify what series of mistakes the driver made. It helped me more than once. I say post them for the greater good.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:13 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Back when a DE crash had some possibility of being covered by a personal auto insurance policy, there was a real good reason to not post a picture or video (I'll avoid comment on possible insurance fraud), but in the US that's not much of an issue anymore.
Having said that, I still think it's good etiquette to get the driver's ok before posting.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:15 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by joeykid
Allow me to play the Devil's advocate. This sport is all about learning. There is always something else you can learn to improve. In car videos of fast laps are watched by all of us to improve. We look at line, braking points, where the driver is getting to full throttle, corner speeds , etc... I understand That most of us have big egos and only want to post our best videos. However, there is something to be learned from other's mishaps. Early on in my driving, I would look at crash videos for tracks I raced on. It allowed me to discover what were the riskier corners on a track and where there is runoff or no runoff. I would study the video and try to identify what series of mistakes the driver made. It helped me more than once. I say post them for the greater good.
You probably will not learn anything from an accident at a DE.

I place this in the category of rubber necking at an accident on the freeway, all you do is tie up traffic.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
For Summit a few took pics of what was left as it was towed back to the shop.....and posted....some took it down upon request. ..others got attitude
Evan - feel free to post the names of the people that had an attitude about removing the offending posts/pics, i'm sure it's a curable condition..
Old 03-11-2017, 02:37 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Evan - feel free to post the names of the people that had an attitude about removing the offending posts/pics, i'm sure it's a curable condition..
👍👍
Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Yeah I'd share it with those who were involved. I'd let the organizer know I had it (for their insurance purposes they might want it).

Definitely wouldn't post it anywhere publicly unless all parties involved explicitly said they wanted me to. I'd rather just give them the video and let THEM post it. Especially when it comes to DE's, where those involved may have insurance they need to work through.

As the vetman posted... if it were me, I'd already be embarrassed. I certainly would not want to find it up, randomly, posted by someone else. I'm all for "learning" and if the incident that happened was somehow caused by my error, I'd likely post it myself with text/overlays detailing where I felt MY mistake was.

Quick Reply: Video Etiquette