Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:58 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The mandatory cautions following stages one and two are ridiculous. If they want to add stages to the middle of the race to make it more interesting fine, but keep the race moving. There are more than enough cautions in NASCAR already, no need to schedule them.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,484 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
What I kept thinking during the race: My car at Daytona is doing 145 just past start/finish drafting the car ahead of me. Running that tight and bump drafting at 190mph is something.
First time I drove at Daytona I was thinking the same thing. When you are up on the banking going flat out it is something else. Tiny hand movements!

Still not a NASCAR fan! Even road courses like WGI don't really hold my interest.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
First time I drove at Daytona I was thinking the same thing. When you are up on the banking going flat out it is something else. Tiny hand movements!
Luigi

First time I raced there was before the repave. My car would jump two feet when I hit the tunnel bump. That gets your attention...
Old 02-27-2017, 02:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Luigi

First time I raced there was before the repave. My car would jump two feet when I hit the tunnel bump. That gets your attention...
I can't even imagine that.

I tell people that I imagine turn 1 is the closest to what it feels like to land on an aircraft carrier.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:24 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Fine to award points to the leaders at various parts of race but making 3 "winners" during the race seems stupid. Totally agree with above, absolutely no need to throw additional cautions at the end of each stage.

Typical NASCAR wreck-fest but I have to hand it to those drivers... I think they are nuts to race like that and I'm sure its not easy to keep those cars on the track even when they aren't crashing.

Once better forms or racing start, I doubt I'll watch any NASCAR besides the road course events.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:49 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Still not a NASCAR fan! Even road courses like WGI don't really hold my interest.
I'm not a fan, either, but I am at WGI as I've been there as a spectator and driver for 45 years....last time I watched they hit 182mph before the Bus Stop, then went in side-by-side. Awesome
Old 02-27-2017, 03:51 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbuff
I'm not a fan, either, but I am at WGI as I've been there as a spectator and driver for 45 years....last time I watched they hit 182mph before the Bus Stop, then went in side-by-side. Awesome
I'm sure being there makes a huge difference. I am not a baseball fan but I have fun when I go to a game.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:55 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

I'm sure being there makes a huge difference. I am not a baseball fan but I have fun when I go to a game.
Oh, I don't go there for NASCAR; that's like going to a Buffalo Bills game. I went once years ago and the spectator sections were largely RVs surrounded by rings of beer cans and "fans" sleeping on top Best seat in the house is on the couch. These days I track there (and everywhere else) so much I don't have time to spectate.....
Old 02-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I went to the NASCAR race at NHMS once. Once. We went because my brother in law is a fan but frankly I was curious too. The crowd was on the frightening side. With ear plugs in, the noise was actually uncomfortable and we were sitting up high. You couldn't talk to each other. People just sat there staring at their scanners. Then the sounds would settle down a bit and you'd realize there were ten cars piled up right below you. We left half way through.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:46 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

We went to see them at The Glen in 2015 and had a great time.

Yesterday's race was not particularly good though. And as others have said, why go yellow after a stage? Just keep racing. Let's hope the non-restricter plate races are better.

Looking forward to IndyCar firing up. Last year was some pretty good racing. Also hoping F1 improves. The new cars at least look better.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

The BTCC figured out the best short TV audience format.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:58 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew the last 15 laps would be the only part worth watching and that's what I did.
Don't think I missed much.
I wish IndyCar would become a winter series. There'd be nothing else to watch and they could run around all the southern tracks, ending the season with the 500 and recoup what they once had.

Quick Reply: Daytona 500