944 Fire Nozzle location

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:39 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 944 Fire Nozzle location

I'm installing a system in my 944. For those with 944's where do you install the nozzles in the engine bay? I was planning to install 2. Both attached to the fire wall. One pointing at the fuel rail/header area and one on the other side of the engine. Would it be better to put one on either end of the fuel rail area? Thanks for any thoughts/pictures.

Don
Old 02-25-2017, 11:19 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't think I would bother with the one on the other side of the engine. Everything that's flammable and likely to catch fire is on the headers side. If you really want two nozzles in the engine compartment, front and back of the fuel rail would be fine. The oil lines and oil filter area could be covered with the front one too.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:09 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Don,

Coming from someone who experienced two oil related fires in my race car due to oil filter seal failures ( bad PRV was the cause ) i can vouch that you need to have one nozzle pointed from the front ( on the r/h shock tower ) downwards at the oil filter and another at the fuel rail , either where the check valve fitting is at the front or at the pressure regulator if you have a Lindsey billet fuel rail.
Thankfully i have a Firesense 4L fire suppression system in my car , which saved it twice from burning to the ground ... i had some roasted vaccuum lines and my injector harness got singed but i was able to carry on my race weekend in both cases !
I have a third nozzle aimed at my feet as most of the fires on a 944 will come through the firewall or the floor.
A small portable unit mounted on the pax floor or the tunnel is good to have as a backup if you still have flames after your main bottle is empty.On another note, the product in the Firesense bottles does NOT stain, as my shoes and lower pant legs were covered when the system went off !

Don't cheap out with fire suppression systems ... i never thought it would happen to me but it did ... twice !
Old 02-25-2017, 07:49 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Agreed 2 in the engine compartment one in the passenger compartment pointing from the waist down. Mine are at the header oil filter area, the other at the left side.

I also have had the dreaded oil filter gasket giving way. I use an AFFF system. The reason I cover both sides is that I knocked a hole in my last engine resulting in a fire on the left side.

Get the biggest bottle that your chosen vendor makes.

You drive a 944, it will catch fire sooner or later.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:42 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nozzle location

Our car has one aimed at the oil filter, one at the fuel rail, another at the turbo and two in the cockpit. I figure it's like an umbrella: if you have it you won't need it.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Don,

Coming from someone who experienced two oil related fires in my race car due to oil filter seal failures ( bad PRV was the cause ) i can vouch that you need to have one nozzle pointed from the front ( on the r/h shock tower ) downwards at the oil filter and another at the fuel rail , either where the check valve fitting is at the front or at the pressure regulator if you have a Lindsey billet fuel rail.
Thankfully i have a Firesense 4L fire suppression system in my car , which saved it twice from burning to the ground ... i had some roasted vaccuum lines and my injector harness got singed but i was able to carry on my race weekend in both cases !
I have a third nozzle aimed at my feet as most of the fires on a 944 will come through the firewall or the floor.
A small portable unit mounted on the pax floor or the tunnel is good to have as a backup if you still have flames after your main bottle is empty.On another note, the product in the Firesense bottles does NOT stain, as my shoes and lower pant legs were covered when the system went off !

Don't cheap out with fire suppression systems ... i never thought it would happen to me but it did ... twice !
Flaming Felipe
Old 03-06-2017, 06:33 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1...

Two in the engine compartment, one on my feet and one pointed towards the cover over the gas tank in the rear hatch.

Quick Reply: 944 Fire Nozzle location