Sponsored by:

Stock Brake life

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:15 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Stock Brake life

I'm finding that I can only get 7-8 20 minute sessions in DE before my front pads are nearly gone. Running a Cayman GTS and the tracks I run aren't particularly hard on the brakes. Girodisks and Pagids are coming up, but does this level of longevity make sense to everyone? I get about 16-20 sessions on the rears, btw. I had to sideline myself for day 2 this weekend because the fronts are toast.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:55 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

I now have to ask how you passed tech if your pads were that thin to begin with.

What exactly caused you to miss the 2nd day? Soft pedal (boiling fluid) or was there another symptom?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Is this is on stock pads and rotors? If so, i don't find it terribly surprising. Girodiscs are optional. A race quality pad is where you will get all of your gains from.

How much DE experience do you have? Driving style could also play a role.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

2:1 wear rear vs front is pretty typical. 1 day on a set of pads means 1 of 2 things, wrong pads, or you're using them too much But more seriously, try different pads, and bring a spare set, they're not that hard to change by yourself.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Berringer
I'm finding that I can only get 7-8 20 minute sessions in DE before my front pads are nearly gone. Running a Cayman GTS and the tracks I run aren't particularly hard on the brakes. Girodisks and Pagids are coming up, but does this level of longevity make sense to everyone? I get about 16-20 sessions on the rears, btw. I had to sideline myself for day 2 this weekend because the fronts are toast.
Were the pads new when you started the weekend?

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 02-19-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:31 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
2:1 wear rear vs front is pretty typical. 1 day on a set of pads means 1 of 2 things, wrong pads, or you're using them too much But more seriously, try different pads, and bring a spare set, they're not that hard to change by yourself.
IIRC the front calipers on his car have the closed bridge and require removal of the caliper to change pads which may or may not necessitate the removal of the bracket that holds the hard line in place. So it no longer is the easy method that you are referring to.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:03 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I find it a bit surprising - I get 7-8 DAYS out of my front pads, and my tears lasted 16 days before hitting 50%. I typically run 3-4 20 min sessions/day.

Your tire choice could be a factor - I would imagine that r-comp tires would generate more force on the brakes and burn through more material at threshold braking. I run street tires (Pirelli p-0)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:12 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 69 Posts

Nannies have a big effect. Are they all off? If on, they can use up pads quickly.

My experience is with a 2007 CS. I like yellows on the front, blacks in back.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExMB
I now have to ask how you passed tech if your pads were that thin to begin with.
Started with brand new pads, thats the problem!

What exactly caused you to miss the 2nd day? Soft pedal (boiling fluid) or was there another symptom?
Pads were down to 5ml

Originally Posted by Slakker
Is this is on stock pads and rotors? If so, i don't find it terribly surprising. Girodiscs are optional. A race quality pad is where you will get all of your gains from.
Yep, stock all around.

How much DE experience do you have? Driving style could also play a role.
Advanced run group, just reached sub 2 minute mark at TWS

Originally Posted by linzman
981 require caliper removel to change the pads! Dammit.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Were the pads new when you started the weekend?
Yep.

Originally Posted by ExMB
IIRC the front calipers on his car have the closed bridge and require removal of the caliper to change pads which may or may not necessitate the removal of the bracket that holds the hard line in place. So it no longer is the easy method that you are referring to.
yup
Originally Posted by white924s
I find it a bit surprising - I get 7-8 DAYS out of my front pads, and my tears lasted 16 days before hitting 50%. I typically run 3-4 20 min sessions/day.
Your tire choice could be a factor - I would imagine that r-comp tires would generate more force on the brakes and burn through more material at threshold braking. I run street tires (Pirelli p-0)
That had alot to do with it. This group ran 8 20 minutes sessions on one day, it blew me away! I run on Nitto NT01's.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

You mean that you started off with new pads and after 8 sessions you wound up with 5mm left? If that is the case you used your brakes more than you thought or you could have a possible stuck piston problem.
Did inside and outside wear the same?

You now see that your original post of 1 day and pads gone is very misleading of what actually happened.

Last edited by ExMB; 02-19-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Wow - something doesn't sound right. Only eight sessions for a set of OEM pads doesn't seem right but maybe this is something particular to the Cayman GTS.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:39 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

The pagid yellows will greatly extend the life of your pads, I get 14+ track days from mine (longer to the rears). Never tracked the OEM pads as I heard they melt quite easily.

I assume you have high temp brake fluid.

Also have GTS Cayman currently with 51 track days on it.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Originally Posted by arter
The pagid yellows will greatly extend the life of your pads, I get 14+ track days from mine (longer to the rears). Never tracked the OEM pads as I heard they melt quite easily.

I assume you have high temp brake fluid.

Also have GTS Cayman currently with 51 track days on it.
Yep, the sensors melt too, I just tied those off a few months back. I assume you upgraded rotors too?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:19 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Oh, and yes, I use SBF 600 right now.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:26 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

you need to go to a racing pad. You also need an instructor to ride with you to make sure you are not braking too much. At advanced levels, the amount of force and how you apply and release and how long you brake for all determine how much brake you are using. Many drivers realize they don't need to use very much brakes on most tracks. Also how is the brake cooling on your car? any ducts? if not you may want to add some.
At one point I realized I am faster and use less brakes by braking earlier, less force and smoother.
Let us know what you find. btw I like PFC pads. your tires should not be an issue.

Quick Reply: Stock Brake life