Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring Turn 17 Roadblock

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:21 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I lost the rear at turn 10 WGI during a DE last year, luckily the pits were right there and I pulled in quickly. Was a bit nervous being a sitting duck for a second.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:48 AM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Before anyone judges the u-turn too harshly perhaps he knew there was no one in back of him on that very long back straight and had the time to pull it off safely.
Sorry, nope. I was behind this and was lucky to choose the gap to the left and made it through with a few AutoX moves. If I tried to go to the right I would have been collected. And there was at least one car behind me.

It was the end of the next to last lap, and I needed a quick uniform change

Some day I'll learn how to edit my videos and get it posted somewhere.

Greg #012
Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 706 Likes on 339 Posts

I have over the years tried to slow down my hand reactions as stuff happens in front of me sometimes it works sometimes not so much. One really lucky example.
Rich

Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by gregturek
Sorry, nope. I was behind this and was lucky to choose the gap to the left and made it through with a few AutoX moves. If I tried to go to the right I would have been collected. And there was at least one car behind me.

Greg #012
WOW - looks like this could have ended very badly. Glad everybody came out ok.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

That picture looks like every lap in a Ferrari Challenge Race.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like it caused one of the trailers in the outside tire wall.....sux

And Ferrari challenge comment hahahaha
Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
I have over the years tried to slow down my hand reactions as stuff happens in front of me sometimes it works sometimes not so much. One really lucky example.
Rich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOUXuHbCZRY
that was a good reaction. the "slider" needs to work on hand control , these kind of slides are so unavoidable with practice. the problem, no one really gets their cars in those attitudes when practicing to work on car control when the back gets away from them.. then, when it happens , the hands are slow to react and the back end comes around... worse if more cars are around and dont react well. also, shame that more folks dont both feet in , to be more predictable for those behind.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
I lost the rear at turn 10 WGI during a DE last year, luckily the pits were right there and I pulled in quickly. Was a bit nervous being a sitting duck for a second.

That was a good recovery.... but i could see that you were way to relaxed into the turns.. sometimes the "quiet " hands, makes slow hands. great to look all smooth and relaxed , until something goes wrong, then, you are way behind the action of the car. if you are "ON IT" , then, every little movement of the car is countered with hand movement, so when you get a little slide feeling, the hands respond at the same rate, and amount. This is the key thing i try and help driivers understand and practice.

go to :25 seconds at the beginning of this race.. you can see that into and out of the turns, you are constantly trying to feel the cars movement and adjust with the wheel, so there are no surprises. It's kind of like driving by steering the rear of the car, vs the front of the car.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:22 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,444 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by gregturek

Greg #012
Well....its always nice to give people the benefit of the doubt. RL sometimes has a lynch mob mentality.

My vote is good save and not so good on the recovery.

Personally, I always wait for the corner worker to tell me to go.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:15 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by mark kibort
if you are "ON IT" , then, every little movement of the car is countered with hand movement, so when you get a little slide feeling, the hands respond at the same rate, and amount. This is the key thing i try and help driivers understand and practice.
This is exactly the kind of thing I am looking to improve in my driving, and I've been pumping my mentor Bill Rudtner for tips on how to accomplish it. I understand that advanced driving is on the edge but I'm unsure what I am "feeling" for before I make a correction (butt sensor). Do I actually feel the car slide a few inches or am I feeling an impending slide? It seems getting over the hump to that level is not easy. I don't want to be tossing my hands around without knowing what I am doing if for.

Thanks for any tips Mark.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2017, 04:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

This is exactly the kind of thing I am looking to improve in my driving, and I've been pumping my mentor Bill Rudtner for tips on how to accomplish it. I understand that advanced driving is on the edge but I'm unsure what I am "feeling" for before I make a correction (butt sensor). Do I actually feel the car slide a few inches or am I feeling an impending slide? It seems getting over the hump to that level is not easy. I don't want to be tossing my hands around without knowing what I am doing if for.

Thanks for any tips Mark.

Jeff
Good questions.. its so easy for those that do something to just say , "do that"... but, if you dont say how to get there, it's not a big help. I think its more about feel , than actually driving at the edge overall.. it's driving part of the car at the edge. (but not the car overall) Take the warm up lap for example. the tires are slippery, you haven't been out for a while....... you take each turn braking , getting a little push, and then on the gas with a little oversteer (and of course counter steer) its not really at the edge, because you are going slow, but parts of the car are at the edge... actually, over the edge. so, you are testing the limits..... on the approach of any turn.. especially trail braking, you have to expect that the rear forces are pushing it to the outside of the track. that knowledge gives you the ability to anticipate the rear oversteer and have he hands walking the fine line of that movement or read for it to happen. if you are expecting it, you are always ready. and the nice thing about driving near the edge is that its always there on those turns, so you are always engaged on those turns, and if it gets worse (bigger wiggle) you make bigger inputs.............. the point is, if you are not at that edge, when it happens, you are not expecting it..... and then, its hard to react.

On your "slide" you got caught and surprised...........but, your reaction and action was awesome, probably the best save possible as far. you needed full lock to prevent the spin and then, timing was just a hair off for the over correction tail wag, but thats being real critical. very hard to uncoil a full lock steering wheel , which you needed on the save, on a street car.

all of the slides so far shown on the video are SO easy to counteract. but, because the driver is not expecting it or makes a reactive move... the input is way over the limits 1.5 to 2x over the limit and at 150% or 200% the car willl slide out for sure and usually spin. but when always at 100 to 110%, you can always correct and make the car do what it is designed to do.......... a slide and spin is always preventable. again, when you are sliding, you are in the lease effective mode of slowing down... pushing 100% of the brake pedal, doesn't equal 100% of the slowing capability. (unless you have cup car ABS ) you get the idea!
Old 02-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Do I actually feel the car slide a few inches or am I feeling an impending slide? It seems getting over the hump to that level is not easy. I don't want to be tossing my hands around without knowing what I am doing if for.
Suggest you sometimes run worn tires or worn street tires to get the feel of sliding rather than looking to optimize lap times. Also, try a skid pad sometime and of course driving in the rain.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Suggest you sometimes run worn tires or worn street tires to get the feel of sliding rather than looking to optimize lap times. Also, try a skid pad sometime and of course driving in the rain.
Just mentioned worn tires to bill. He said "yeah why not". Thanks for the suggestion Frank
Old 02-17-2017, 06:04 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,444 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Skid pad all the way! I tortured a poor little miata last fall for a whole day and learned a ton!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 PM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Looks like it caused one of the trailers in the outside tire wall.....sux
If not it was very close:

I didn't see any marks on the rubber wall, but he did come to a complete stop.

Greg

Quick Reply: Sebring Turn 17 Roadblock