Sponsored by:

Help me improve my battery box

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:52 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help me improve my battery box

A few years of autocross and frustration with 'cheap' compressors led me to a ViAir 85P automatic compressor which unfortunately required a battery clamp connection due to 20+ amp load. No cig lighter connection.

To make life easier, I built a battery box for the compressor. Slowly I've added to it as my needs increase. At DEs, I get a lot of questions about it - funny. Not all tracks have 120v, so it comes in really useful for charging phones, running a hotspot, compressor, etc.

Attached is a pic. At this point it has a 12v accessory outlet with a removable USB adapter; a SAE outlet for running the compressor and charging, and a switch for powering the accessory outlet. There is a 12v 12AH SLA battery inside - it weighs maybe 10-12lbs.

I have run the battery down, so I'd like more capacity.
I'd like to charge my laptop, so I can add an inverter to the accessory outlet, but again, need more capacity. Would like a 'splash proof' inverter if possible.

I'd consider running a winch of it, so I need a higher power connector.

So - Here is my plan on V2.0 - all thoughts appreciated.

1 - replace battery with 35AH model - largest that will fit the existing U1 box. Tripple the capacity.

2 - get a small inverter (looking for recommendations) for USB and 120vac laptop charging.

3 - Add an Anderson 120amp connector for higher current applications like a small winch.

4- other fun thoughts?

db
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2017, 06:48 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just buy one of these?

Old 02-05-2017, 06:51 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I have one of the Honda EU2000 inverter based gas generators. Overkill for my AC needs and no high current 12v output for the compressor and/or winch.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:09 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Deep cycle lifeline battery to start. Used in boats and RVs. They make a few massive AH units. http://lifelinebatteries.com/
Old 02-07-2017, 01:22 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's really nice packaging, particularly for the 12V port!

As mentioned, some kind of small deep cycle .battery. One note about inverters: they draw some power all the time, even if not in use, so having a switch to kill it makes sense. There are a number of light duty pure sine wave inverters that include USB ports, but I would actually recommend not handling USB charging from them for this reason -- 12V USB chargers work just fine and don't really draw any power when not in use.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:36 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

It turns out there is a standard size 35ah U1 battery that first perfectly inside the box (no coincidence, it is a "u1" box). It is a standard wheelchair battery, about $50. I'm going to try that to start and build from there.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:30 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Well, 'The box' v2.0 is done.
Changed connectors to Anderson Powerpole
Rewired internals
Added power meter
Added Inverter to box (velcro'd on; removable in bad weather or when not needed)

I also changed connectors on my charging cable and small compressor to matching Anderson Powerpoles.

Still need to upgrade the battery to a 35AH SLA AGM U1 size.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a quick connect for my cool shirt. I made a matching connect for my air compressor. When I need air I just plug the AC into the cool shirt plug. I use the same type of quick connect for tender. That's a lot easier than an extra box. I'll try to post some pics.

Quick Reply: Help me improve my battery box