Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Lift: lots of brands, features, and styles - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
+1 MaxJax with a 96" ceiling height. I absolutely love it.
Im looking for one as well. so the consensuses is that you need a 10ft cieling? min?

when you are talking about 4 post like the pictures posted, with a 10ft ceiling, you have just enough room for a set of porsches top and bottom.. obviously, any normal height car would need more room...... of if im only talking about 2 stacked porsches, can i get away with a 9ft ceiling.

next question is are their adapters to actually lift the car and tires off the surface to change tires, etc? someone said , they might come with jack stands, but how does that work? you jack the car up on the lift and then use some type of jack stands?

i cant imagine trying to work on the car, if you cant stand straight up. its almost better to work on the car , on your back on the ground on jack stands... or is it not that bad being hunched over a bit?

I need to do this pretty soon, so any help is appreciated ... its my first serous look at lifts and the options.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
+1 MaxJax with a 96" ceiling height. I absolutely love it.
i just measured.. i have 96" ceiliing.. maxjax will work?
cost? options?

Im trying to get away from a total garage remodel... which has other goals too (like more square footage and storage up above) but if i can get the lift, it will save my relationship! wife really needs car in the garage , so i need to stack race car and street car. I can do the garage remodel later for the room and still use the lift.

edit: looks like from the website and videos, there is no way to fit a car underneath. true?

Last edited by mark kibort; 01-22-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:42 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

MaxJack is purely for working on car. 4 post lift needs close to 10' of room to store 2 low cars. I have a 993 and a 968, and it works, but not sure i could put the jetta there, definitely not an SUV or pickup. I'd have to measure, but it's close. There is a great calculator on the Greg Smith site, to figure out minimum ceiling height for their lifts, in sure others aren't too far off. Remember, you have the ramp thickness, the height of both cars, the clearance under ceiling including when the garage door is in up position (although if you back the upper car in, the garage door can probably go over the hood no problem), the door opener if you don't have the jack shaft type opener, and enough room to use the locking mechanism so the upper ramps aren't just held up by the cables. Depending on the height of lower car and where those locking points are, you may have 1-6" between the roof of the lower car and the bottom of the upper ramp. It adds up quick, but use the calculator for your cars and see
Old 01-22-2017, 06:26 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a sliding deck that has a small jack that enables me to lift the car up about 4 inches above the ramp platform. Good for pulling wheels off to do brakes etc.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Philip944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought and unloaded this. Have yet to install. Should be a great compromise btwn Maxjax and permanent lift. My ceilings are roughly 10ft.

http://www.naautoequipment.com/Unive...t-car-lift.htm

It's a 'portable' lift like the Maxjax but has a lifting capacity of 7000# and a maximum lift height of 72". Should be able to lift everything I have in the driveway, allow me to stand under the vehicle and move the most central post out of the way when needed to allow me full use of my garage space.

I plan to store a bit on it as well. 4 post is so bulky and allows limited access to the car.

Just my two cents
Old 01-22-2017, 09:05 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a certification group for lifts, Auto Lift Institute (ALI). I recommend getting one with their certification, at least you know the design is safe.

Ryan
Old 01-23-2017, 12:59 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

944 Cup drivers can get a 10 percent discount off of lifts being sold by sponsor Team Tech OFFROAD: http://teamtechoffroad.com/collections/lifestyle
Old 01-23-2017, 01:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks! oh well, its time for garage remodel to get the 10ft ceiling. after looking at it closer, i see how it would work.. yes, i have two low cars, liek you so, 10ft is the magic number. also good point about the garage door... forgot about that. i guess backing in the car will be the process, unless i can make an 11 ft ceiling..........got to talk to architects now.

Mk

Originally Posted by linzman
MaxJack is purely for working on car. 4 post lift needs close to 10' of room to store 2 low cars. I have a 993 and a 968, and it works, but not sure i could put the jetta there, definitely not an SUV or pickup. I'd have to measure, but it's close. There is a great calculator on the Greg Smith site, to figure out minimum ceiling height for their lifts, in sure others aren't too far off. Remember, you have the ramp thickness, the height of both cars, the clearance under ceiling including when the garage door is in up position (although if you back the upper car in, the garage door can probably go over the hood no problem), the door opener if you don't have the jack shaft type opener, and enough room to use the locking mechanism so the upper ramps aren't just held up by the cables. Depending on the height of lower car and where those locking points are, you may have 1-6" between the roof of the lower car and the bottom of the upper ramp. It adds up quick, but use the calculator for your cars and see
Old 01-23-2017, 01:54 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Thanks! oh well, its time for garage remodel to get the 10ft ceiling. after looking at it closer, i see how it would work.. yes, i have two low cars, liek you so, 10ft is the magic number. also good point about the garage door... forgot about that. i guess backing in the car will be the process, unless i can make an 11 ft ceiling..........got to talk to architects now.

Mk
I have a 4 post lift in 10.5 feet of garage space and its just enough to stack two GT3 RS's. I used to have an Audi S5 instead of one of the RS's and it was a tight fit as the Audi was about 5 inches taller. You can also raise the garage door open position if you use a Liftmaster 8500 opener. I had a garage door guy come around and install the motor and extra tracks to lift to door up so its open position was 3 inches from the ceiling. He swore I wouldn't get cars under it. They fit no problem with about 2 feet to spare.

As for working on cars on 4 post lift's, there is normally a rolling air powered hydraulic jack that can be rolled back and forward in the valley of the lift. I have one on mine and it is somewhat useful, although working on cars on 4 post lifts is a pain.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:48 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
944 Cup drivers can get a 10 percent discount off of lifts being sold by sponsor Team Tech OFFROAD: http://teamtechoffroad.com/collections/lifestyle
thats awesome! ill be buying a lift in the next month or so. what constitutes being a 944 cup driver? if I've raced in sp1 this year, does that count?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 PM
stubble88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its messy and not finished but. mds-6k installed. now waiting for one missing item from bendpak.

Last edited by stubble88; 01-31-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Lift: lots of brands, features, and styles - which one?