Leh Keen Qualifying at VIR, 2014 TUDOR Championship AJRvWeatherTech GTD Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
he's very active on instagram and posting to his youtube channel. Just enjoying building and driving safari cars and his Subaru rally car.
Good to hear. Folks forget he's been in this game at a very high level for more than a decade...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Given that I enjoy historic racing so much, here's one of my favorite King Leh clips:

Facebook Post
Old 01-03-2017, 09:48 AM
joeykid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found it humbling to watch this video. The delta between Leh's driving and a top club racer in a cup car is tremendous. I can't believe the way he enters the climbing esses without any lift and hits 153 mph in the esses. Stunning and a bit depressing.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Respectfully disagree, Joe. While there is a difference, it's closer than you might think. I like seeing how similar several top level club guys are to the established and experienced pros. You got close a few times!

First, there is the car difference. GTD (GT America) car is quite a step up from a 997 GT3 Cup. Second, this lap is post repave that saw times drop (for the pros) two to three SECONDS under the previous year.

Racing is racing, and so much of this first, ultimate confidence and second, becoming comfortable being slightly uncomfortable (or just completely ok with the car NOT sticking well and being ok with that. Leh, Andrew, Patrick, Joerg and many others got there early on. For others, it may take a lot longer, but some DO get there...

I think videos like this are encouraging and inspiring!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

One of my favorite videos. I've watched it many times, and it's my standard reference for VIR (for technique and line, not pace!). Superb illustration of optimal use of the pedals to decelerate to apexes (when deceleration is called for), by braking or lifting. Impressive to see how all of Oak Tree is handled with brake modulation, until getting on the throttle at the exit apex, and the approach is similar at the top of the hill at the end of the back straight, and through the dive into hog pen. Also noteworthy how the little dab of brakes within the climbing esses enables the very high entry speed.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
One of my favorite videos. Also noteworthy how the little dab of brakes within the climbing esses enables the very high entry speed.
Well, that's the cool part. Most folks lift and modulate for long periods of time approaching and at the first three direction changes in the Uphill Esses, then have to continue that modulation into T9, then a short burst of WOT to make themselves feel good before braking for T10, South Bend.

Leh, unconstrained by "limitation beliefs," accelerates all the way on the flat and into, as well as through, the first three direction changes, THEN hits the brake pretty hard (ONLY when he NEEDS to) for just a short moment to get the nose down and get the car to turn right through the declination of T9. Then, another blast to the brake zone for T10 and he's gone...

The lesson is that it's always better to gas it, then brake when you need to, than to equivocate for a longer period of time...

First saw this a decade and a half ago with David Murry in the Synergy Grand Am car. Remember what he says... "The Esses are just two right turns..."
Old 01-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by joeykid
I can't believe the way he enters the climbing esses without any lift and hits 153 mph in the esses. Stunning and a bit depressing.
+1

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Racing is racing, and so much of this first, ultimate confidence and second, becoming comfortable being slightly uncomfortable (or just completely ok with the car NOT sticking well and being ok with that. Leh, Andrew, Patrick, Joerg and many others got there early on. For others, it may take a lot longer, but some DO get there...
Especially for old guys that get limited seat time. Why I'm excited about new Cup car program for iRacing - any little bit helps.

Originally Posted by Manifold
Superb illustration of optimal use of the pedals to decelerate to apexes (when deceleration is called for), by braking or lifting. Impressive to see how all of Oak Tree is handled with brake modulation, until getting on the throttle at the exit apex, and the approach is similar at the top of the hill at the end of the back straight, and through the dive into hog pen. Also noteworthy how the little dab of brakes within the climbing esses enables the very high entry speed.
Yes. Carrying brakes all the way over T16 apex into 17 is very different from what I recall doing. Of course when you're slow you don't need as much brake...

Remember what he says... "The Esses are just two right turns..."
Yes! First I've heard this but that's it exactly.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
This is what struck me as well when watching the video.

This is for Kibort...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rerpuYzaJWo
Thanks! nice hand'dy work.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I think Mr. Murry's quote need to be on the back of a VIR t-shirt.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by joeykid
I found it humbling to watch this video. The delta between Leh's driving and a top club racer in a cup car is tremendous. I can't believe the way he enters the climbing esses without any lift and hits 153 mph in the esses. Stunning and a bit depressing.
Exactly my thoughts!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Given that I enjoy historic racing so much, here's one of my favorite King Leh clips:

https://www.facebook.com/ici.les.24h...8186785916487/
Thats a great lap/race/venue (obviously) .. espeically when he gets in the groove at 4:40 onward. those high RPM drifts in the turns , just mopping back up to that other yellow 911, was impressive. not to mention all the very cool cars! wow!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Big lesson in that video was watching his footwork. Look how he is firm on the brake pedal without jabbing at it or standing on it. Great touch. Like he's stepping on a cat's tail without the cat noticing. He's also very patient with his transitions from throttle to brake and back again. He's always ahead of the car in the transitions. Perfect example of why he gets paid to do it. Text book.
Agree big time.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 531 Likes on 284 Posts

Respectfully disagree, Joe. While there is a difference, it's closer than you might think. I like seeing how similar several top level club guys are to the established and experienced pros. You got close a few times!

First, there is the car difference. GTD (GT America) car is quite a step up from a 997 GT3 Cup. Second, this lap is post repave that saw times drop (for the pros) two to three SECONDS under the previous year.

I think videos like this are encouraging and inspiring!
Peter...I beg to differ here.

For those that have never seen this...this is what happens when you put a talent like a (young) Leh Keen with our PCA racers. Granted...this was years ago, but while our top club racers have gotten better...so has Leh...

enjoy...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Last edited by NaroEscape; 01-04-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:32 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I've watched that one many times. Crazy how he picked his way through the field. Imagine what we would see if you could connect a Go Pro to the brains of drivers of his caliber and see what they see at speed.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 531 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I've watched that one many times. Crazy how he picked his way through the field. Imagine what we would see if you could connect a Go Pro to the brains of drivers of his caliber and see what they see at speed.
last to first in 3 laps...

Quick Reply: Leh Keen Qualifying at VIR, 2014 TUDOR Championship AJRvWeatherTech GTD Porsche