Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when cars hit in a DE, who's responsible legaliy? and Etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sean- yes that was terrible on the East course years ago. I was inches away. My 2 cents My question has always been if you know there is a issue with your car (glued fittings) and you don't address it because you are in denial or Negligent = stupid
& you dump antifreeze everywhere & cars wreck? . Track waiver says too bad? That was my issue with DE and the fittings. - if you know there is a problem with your vehicle and you cause damage to others .... jez.
I've seen contact- I've only seen a few guys step up to pay.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 08-26-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Sean- yes that was terrible on the East course years ago. I was inches away. My 2 cents My question has always been if you know there is a issue with your car (glued fittings) and you don't address it because you are in denial or Negligent = stupid
& you dump antifreeze everywhere & cars wreck? . Track waiver says too bad? That was my issue with DE and the fittings. - if you know there is a problem with your vehicle and you cause damage to others .... jez.
Proving stupidity is about as easy as proving intent. I think its the nature of our activity to have to expect the unexpected. things break, things wear out and NO one has the ability to know when a radiator hose will burst, or a fuel line gets loose, or a drive shaft flys out of the back of the car like a missle at 100mph. (yes, ive even had that happen )
It's a dangerous sport and you have assume the risk, or you dont belong out there. its not the PCA or SCCA or the track owners job to protect you on the track while you are driving against stupidity, negligence or even intent to cause you harm.

Look, i almost lost my life and lost my car, due to someone being STUPID and the SCCA allowing such an idiot to even be on the track. I never once held even the guy that hit me, accountable. why?? because i know the risks and accept them and trust that i can keep myself , 99% of the time, out of harms way. that was the 1% that caught up with me. Sure, i mentioned stricter standards for drivers and car performance disparity, to the SCCA, but it fell on def ears. its a street fight out there. get used to it, or as 85 gold says, pick up golf.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
To me DE driving is just like defensive driving on the highway, be observant and prepared for anything. I do not expect anything from the other drivers and assume ALL risks involved with driving on the track. If YOU are not comfortable with this then you need to take up golf and get hit with *****.

Peter
yep.. exactly!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:38 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
You make it sound like having someone pay is a good thing. It sets a precedent that we all should not want set.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
You make it sound like having someone pay is a good thing. It sets a precedent that we all should not want set.
It's more about honor than obligation...
Old 08-26-2016, 06:56 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

If a guy who has never been to a HPDE hears that he's on the hook for some dudes $100,000 car (and that he has no control over the value of the cars on track with him) if he makes a mistake, then I hope everyone is ready for private track days.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:01 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Lol! Yeah the Cobra was clearly at fault.

I wasn't happy but he came up and offered to pay for all the damages of his own volition. I was happily surprised but didn't expect him to.

It was a nice gesture that I would've reciprocated had the shoe been on the other foot.

That said, there's a reason I track a ~$15k E36 M3 vs a mega bucks GT3. I'm not willing to lose the GT3 on the track.

Given how many are at the events I go to I wonder how many of the owners are in blissful ignorance. Or maybe they've bought Lockton track insurance...
Old 08-26-2016, 07:02 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
No, it is not about honor. Paying for damage sets a dangerous precedent.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:04 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

+1

If I'm the cause I hope I have the honor and financial where with all to step up and take responsibility to the best of my ability. But I will fight to defend that honor if someone tries to take advantage and sees it as a weakness.
At least thats how I think my mom has raised me; as a responsible adult.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

No, it is not about honor. Paying for damage sets a dangerous precedent.
No it certainly does not.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:16 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

No it certainly does not.
Being obligated to pay could set a dangerous, hobby crippling precedent.

Stepping up and saying hey, I screwed up, your car is bent because of it, I want to make it right, does not.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Being obligated to pay could set a dangerous, hobby crippling precedent. Stepping up and saying hey, I screwed up, your car is bent because of it,i want to make it right, does not.
Agree completely!!!
Old 08-26-2016, 07:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Stepping up and saying hey, I screwed up, your car is bent because of it, I want to make it right, does not.
The problem is that by doing this, you get people saying that it is the "honorable" thing to do which suggests that not doing so is "dishonorable". This leads to people thinking that since it is "honorable" it should be expected.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

The problem is that by doing this, you get people saying that it is the "honorable" thing to do which suggests that not doing so is "dishonorable". This leads to people thinking that since it is "honorable" it should be expected.
I think we see every day that there is very little honor left in our world. It's rare even to hear "thank you" any more. I don't believe this sort of "above and beyond" described above can ever be expected...
Old 08-26-2016, 08:06 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

I'd love to be able to say if I screw up in front of a 458 and I collect him I'd pay for it. I can't.

But I also don't track the most expensive car I can buy and if I lost the Miata I'd keep on trucking without help from someone else.

It's complicated.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:06 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slippery slope...

Rich guys can afford to be honorable. Most folks, by your definition, can't...

The richer you are, the more honorable you stand to be...

So a guy driving a Lamborghini damages a 944, and pays. He is more honorable than the the guy in the 944 that swipes a 997 if he doesn't offer to pay?

I hear what you are saying, and it nice that folks offer to pay. But setting that expectation is scary...

Especially as it seems the guys in the expensive cars drive closer to the edge, at faster speeds...

Quick Reply: when cars hit in a DE, who's responsible legaliy? and Etiquette?