Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts
Default iRacing Nurburgring Sim

http://jalopnik.com/iracings-version...=1449609738631

Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

That's not nice teasing us when we've been waiting for two days for it to come back up.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For once I'm glad I'm not home this week else I would be frustrated like my fellow iRacers. :-)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Brought back fond memories of Grand Prix Legends. Spent $5 on the game, thousands on a PC capable of running it and it is what lead me to driving on the track for real.

IIRC, the game came out in 1997-1998 and there wasn't a PC capable of running it with all the eye candy turned on until about 2006. Part of the cause was the game itself, but another part was the modders out there improving the look of the cars and tracks. I first thought the screenshot at the top of this thread was GPL - yes GPL looks nearly that good.

The physics were good enough in GPL for me to learn how to trail brake there. I was trailbraking on my first track day in a real car.

-Mike
Old 12-10-2015, 10:26 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Can't wait.....hopefully its up and running this weekend.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:38 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackdayRSA.
Can't wait.....hopefully its up and running this weekend.
ahhh, I was worried that my South American IP was blocking access to iRacing.
Can't wait to start practicing for my next VLN race!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:26 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

"Can't wait.....hopefully its up and running this weekend"

Should be, I logged in this morning and ran four about an hour and half on the ring in different cars, it was glorious!
Old 12-11-2015, 03:16 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have things working pretty well finally. You might experience a slow site but you should be able to get in. Have fun on the 'Ring!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:21 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

I have been an iRacing member since 2009 but I rarely have ever used it these last couple of years. Money is a tad tight these days and I was thinking of letting my membership expire. Why pay for something you don't use. But the inclusion of a Nordschleife track sounds like a huge game changer. I can only blame myself for not paying closer attention, but I kind of wish this thread would have been posted during the US Thanksgiving week when iRacing was running their membership renewal promotions. I see the annual membership is back at full price.

But we are talking Nordschleife here. As I said this could be a huge game changer.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:35 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

So what's it like taking the Carousel at racing speed in iRacing? Or more importantly what's it like taking the real world Carousel at racing speed? I ask this because I let my iRacing membership expire, but I recently picked up the Project Cars game (yes I know it is a game, insert your cat calls here) and I am having a hell of a time with the Carousel at any sort of racing speed. It appears that you need to slow down a bit and dive into the Carousel 10 or so feet into it once it starts. But it also appears that you need to be really committed to it. Take it too fast and you are thrown out and into the guard rail and take it too slow and you are also thrown out and into the guard rail. Has Project Cars made it harder than it is or is it really this tricky in iRacing as well as in the real world?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:52 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

It a tricky corner for sure in iracing. I find that I hit the concrete banking ASAP and stick to it the whole way around, but I must exit what I call "the point" of the end of the concrete which is the right edge where it ends. If you go in too hot, you skip out of it and end up off the banking... you're done. If you get greedy and try to overspeed the middle, you slide up the baking and on to the asphalt... you're done. If you don't exit off "the point" the transition upsets the car and you lose the back end... you're done. The concrete is also narrower than I had imagined from looking at pictures, but I think that's just perspective and everything seems narrower at speed.

Edit: Basically this is the line
Old 05-30-2016, 05:03 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JustinL
It a tricky corner for sure in iracing. I find that I hit the concrete banking ASAP and stick to it the whole way around, but I must exit what I call "the point" of the end of the concrete which is the right edge where it ends. If you go in too hot, you skip out of it and end up off the banking... you're done. If you get greedy and try to overspeed the middle, you slide up the baking and on to the asphalt... you're done. If you don't exit off "the point" the transition upsets the car and you lose the back end... you're done. The concrete is also narrower than I had imagined from looking at pictures, but I think that's just perspective and everything seems narrower at speed.
Yes I know what you mean by exiting it at "the point". In fact there is a YouTube video from the real world where someone in a BMW traveling pretty fast exits the carousel late and they hit the guard rails on the left side of the track though it could have been a lot worse than it was. But I'm still trying to get the entry nailed at a reasonable racing speed. Fortunately in the Project Cars game there is a separate track to train on different sectors of Nordschleife and they start this 3rd track just before the carousel. I think they knew people would need to practice their carousel approaches.

Edited to add: I hit the track tonight for some virtual Nordscheife practice and while there is still plenty of room for improvement, I did manage to figure out a way to enter the Carousel and carry reasonable "race like" speed through it.

Last edited by My993C2; 05-30-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
So what's it like taking the Carousel at racing speed in iRacing? Or more importantly what's it like taking the real world Carousel at racing speed? I ask this because I let my iRacing membership expire, but I recently picked up the Project Cars game (yes I know it is a game, insert your cat calls here) and I am having a hell of a time with the Carousel at any sort of racing speed. It appears that you need to slow down a bit and dive into the Carousel 10 or so feet into it once it starts.
I used iRacing to learn the track before a recent trip there. I've not been back to the sim since then, so I can't confirm its in there, but the real track has a very specific marker for entry to the Carousel. There is a small sign board, "143", straight ahead above the Armco on the outside of the track. You drive straight at it, which lines you up about 20 ft past the start of the concrete. On the sim I struggled with it too. The cars I'd tried were really sensitive to the bumps (seams between the concrete slabs) and because it is basically only one car width I had a hard time keeping the car on the concrete.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:26 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

I decided to renew my iRacing account last night and I was having a blast driving the Ruf RT 12 Track car around the Combine Nordschleife and Numburgring GP track. Recently I have been having fun driving the Green Hell inside of the Project Cars game, but not surprisingly the iRacing iteration is just that much better. I can only imagine how awesome this track is in the real world.

Quick Reply: iRacing Nurburgring Sim