22.52%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

NEW SPEC CAYMAN CLASS SPC ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 10:34 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

This is a different animal to the letter classes and GTB. This is Spec racing. The idea is, you don't get bigger brakes or better shocks, you get the same as everyone else. Like SPB, some improvement to the cars to make them both faster and safer, but nothing crazy. The idea that you would need to 'dumb down' a GTB car or letter car is precisely in line with the idea behind the class. It's about the driver, not the car.

I personally believe the introduction of more spec classes is by design from PCA. They are much easier for them to administer from a compliance perspective and the control the cost within a cost bracket.

It's exactly what I wanted when I entered PCA Racing. I had no desire to get into a spending war with other competitors.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:49 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Spec racing is good - too many spec classes is bad
Old 10-16-2015, 11:14 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Its a good point but I feel like it kind of shows the issue with SPC. Many of the former H and I racers are now in the GTB classes. SPC would be pilfering even more drivers and probably kill of the alphabet classes for Caymans.

I don't think there are going to be 5-10 people who come into PCA racing and populate that class. Its going to suck more people out and I'll have no choice but to go into a GTB class and get my a$$ handed to me every race by those bunch of maniacs! (Except for Frank, he is a more gentlemanly maniac!)
That is funny

I think I resemble that comment....

maniac might be considered a compliment....

I think the issue is to get the dang run costs down. GTB-1 is almost as expensive as cup car racing. It is out of control
Old 10-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Loll im already crying as im starting a gtb1 manual build seeing my parts list.

Car is cheap compare to the parts i need to buy

Add the slicks and race fuel to run in front, damnit
Old 10-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
I think the issue is to get the dang run costs down. GTB-1 is as expensive as cup car racing. It is out of control
FIFY
Old 10-17-2015, 11:11 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spec Tires

Agree. Toyo RRs and formerly RA1s are definitely not low quality. I get 3-4 race weekends before feeling them fall off. Plus the feel is very consistent and managing temp/pressure is easy. Definitely another strong argument for the Spec classes.
Originally Posted by jdistefa
The Toyo RR is actually a fantastic tire and the best bang for the buck. They will often cord before they heat cycle out. Several of us in SPB have set track records on tires that have more than 10 heat cycles.

Having said that, the RR isn't available in SPC sizes. I suspect the class with end up with Hankooks, Kuhmo, BFG, or Hoosier, depending on size availability. Feedback/preferences will help Walt.

On the question of the class itself... I'm certainly very interested. Spec class racing is a successful formula and I bet this will catch on.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:28 PM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

RR not an option tho unless they add 18" sizes
Old 10-17-2015, 12:45 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

+987 what Muller said.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
This is a different animal to the letter classes and GTB. This is Spec racing. The idea is, you don't get bigger brakes or better shocks, you get the same as everyone else. Like SPB, some improvement to the cars to make them both faster and safer, but nothing crazy. The idea that you would need to 'dumb down' a GTB car or letter car is precisely in line with the idea behind the class. It's about the driver, not the car.

I personally believe the introduction of more spec classes is by design from PCA. They are much easier for them to administer from a compliance perspective and the control the cost within a cost bracket.

It's exactly what I wanted when I entered PCA Racing. I had no desire to get into a spending war with other competitors.
I understand your point and it is the reason why at some point I had thought about SPB. There seems to be some really good racing there without a lot of the cost in some other classes. Accordingly, I am all for spec classes.

That being said, I think there are already options for people who want low cost spec racing within PCA. Why create another class? Did some people turn their nose up at SPB and now are going to build a SPC? I don't think so.

Bottom line, I think the letter classes are a great place to be and this new class has the potential to ruin it. In my opinion the ramifications were not well thought out by the PCA. If you decide you want lower cost you can go to a spec class. If money is not object you go up into the GTB or cups. There are options already.

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong and that would make me very happy. Everyone should race on their own terms and within their budget.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:14 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ Just come to the dark side and move to SPC.... or GTB-1

I suspect some of the letter classes are going to slowly - or quickly - wither. Just betting but I think that E and F will stay strong and more people will gravitate to SPB and SPC. And until all the 944s break or catch on fire the SP1-2-3 classes will continue to offer great racing.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
^ Just come to the dark side and move to SPC.... or GTB-1

I suspect some of the letter classes are going to slowly - or quickly - wither. Just betting but I think that E and F will stay strong and more people will gravitate to SPB and SPC. And until all the 944s break or catch on fire the SP1-2-3 classes will continue to offer great racing.
Initially, I was resistant to this idea, as I thought it would dilute the already excessive classing in PCA and thought that spc was too close to the already existing spec911 class. However, I had a chance to drive a buddy's 2006 cayman s this weekend at pocono directly after a session in my spb. That car happens to be set up very similarly to the spc spec. What a f'ng blast that thing was to drive. Wicked fast, and exactly what would be required as a step up from spec box for those guys who want to take the next incremental jump up in cost and performance (most importantly power, suspension and differential and a platform with readily available parts and a decent volume of used donor cars on the market). I'm all for spec racing, but for me it is more about the competition than the car. I personally will wait until there is critical momentum, if ever, in SPC before even contemplating building a car. For now spec box is still filling all the boxes for me, and every month there are more cars joining in the northeast. Get 20+ SPC cars showing up to races in the Northeast, and I'll be there.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:45 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Initially, I was resistant to this idea, as I thought it would dilute the already excessive classing in PCA and thought that spc was too close to the already existing spec911 class. However, I had a chance to drive a buddy's 2006 cayman s this weekend at pocono directly after a session in my spb. That car happens to be set up very similarly to the spc spec. What a f'ng blast that thing was to drive. Wicked fast, and exactly what would be required as a step up from spec box for those guys who want to take the next incremental jump up in cost and performance (most importantly power, suspension and differential and a platform with readily available parts and a decent volume of used donor cars on the market). I'm all for spec racing, but for me it is more about the competition than the car. I personally will wait until there is critical momentum, if ever, in SPC before even contemplating building a car. For now spec box is still filling all the boxes for me, and every month there are more cars joining in the northeast. Get 20+ SPC cars showing up to races in the Northeast, and I'll be there.
This is exactly how I saw the formation of the class also. The next step from SPB.

I am just hoping SPB and SPC don't run in the same run group so I can race both classes every weekend.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Glen,

I get the idea of a faster car than SPB, but what I do not get how the proposed SPC build will be any cheaper than an H Cayman. I suspect with the exception of shocks, everything else to be the same for proposed SPC and H cars.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I had no desire to get into a spending war with other competitors.
Without a good tire option (like the Toyo RR in SPB), this is exactly what you will get. Just naysayin'...
Old 10-19-2015, 11:32 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Glen,

I get the idea of a faster car than SPB, but what I do not get how the proposed SPC build will be any cheaper than an H Cayman. I suspect with the exception of shocks, everything else to be the same for proposed SPC and H cars.
Tire budget.

Quick Reply: NEW SPEC CAYMAN CLASS SPC ?