Disability Insurance and Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Default Disability Insurance and Racing

I recently got a new life insurance policy and when I got it I was not racing - only DE. The application asks if I engaged in auto racing. I was able to truthfully say "no I don't race."

I'm looking to a get a disability policy but now I am registered for a race so I can't answer no. When I asked my insurance broker if answering yes would automatically disqualify me he didn't know the answer. He's an experienced guy but I guess most of his clients are couch potatoes.

I'm not going to lie because I don't want my claim denied should something happen.

Anyone have any experience getting disability insurance when they club race?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

There are a couple of adds in Sportscar for groups that write policies for racers. No idea who is good or bad though.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:08 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm usually the resident Rennlist insurance "expert", with a bunch of experience successfully providing PCA, NASA and SCCA racers with life and disability insurance.

The underwriting outcome for club racers who apply for individual disability insurance depends on the state of residence, the company you apply, and the applicant's racing experience. I've had CR customers receive "perfectly normal policies" and others receive normal policies except that disabilities resulting from racing injuries are excluded.

As you point out, under no circumstance do you fib about the "hazardous hobby", because you open yourself for the insurer to rescind the policy and deny ANY future claim, including one resulting from something in no way related to club racing, if the fraud on the application someday comes to light.

My experience is an applicant who would otherwise be eligible for disability insurance does not necessary become ineligible to purchase disability insurance because of racing.

Please remember the fine print that this is not a warranty of underwriting outcome but a general conversation with a stranger on an interweb forum. Hope it's helpful.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Back in the day, in PA, when I raced my life insurance premium was slightly increased.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Matt and Marc,

Thanks for the tips. I'm just trying to be responsible for my family and I.

My broker did say a big possibility was that there would be a rider excluding injury due to racing. That makes sense but it doesn't make me happy. I would like coverage no matter what.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:06 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Matt and Marc, Thanks for the tips. I'm just trying to be responsible for my family and I. My broker did say a big possibility was that there would be a rider excluding injury due to racing. That makes sense but it doesn't make me happy. I would like coverage no matter what. Thanks.
You can get coverage even if you are a racer - it might or might not cost more.
Ask Marc - he knows the markets (insurers).

Quick Reply: Disability Insurance and Racing