Need Help with Race Suit Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Spec944 #143
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Race Suit Sizing

All-

I am looking to upgrade my race suit this season and want to take advantage some of the black Friday sales. I am trying to decide between the OMP Evo one, Alpinestar GP tech suit, or the Adidas Climacool.

I have my measurements and found I am between a 54 or 56. The 56 will be huge in areas but I under all of the measurements. The 54 fits in all areas BUT two- shoulder and thighs. I am an inch over in the thigh and over an inch in the shoulder.

My question is can you be over in those measurements or are they absolute?

The safe bet is the by the 56 but I will look like it is too big (I fear).

Does any have experience with any of these three suites and the sizing? I hope to place the order tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the 56. More room is never a bad thing on a suit. Last thing I want is a suit that is too tight. The air space is part of the 'insulation' during a burn.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:55 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 329 Posts

I would think being too tight in the shoulder would be very annoying. i bought the OMP last year and since i'm not well, your typical off the shelf type of guy i took advantage of their "custom build". I think it was around $300 extra and basically it was custom made for me. I forget what size was the "closest" but like you, it was good in many areas but didn't fit in others. On their website there is a section where you take a series off measurements and send them the info. the suit is basically custom fit. highly recommended
Old 11-27-2014, 05:51 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Go larger. If necessary, buy some nomex thread and have a good tailor do some minor alterations. That's what I do as the suit that fits is always too long in the sleeve.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:19 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an Alpinestars Gp Tech. I consider myself to be built more typical American, linebacker style. Wide shoulders, normal to thinner waist, shorter legs. The Alpinestars is made more typical euro thin/tall. I bought mine to fit my shoulders, and would not want it smaller there. In the waist, it fits perfectly, in the legs, it's a bit long. However when sitting, it all works very well.

Don't order too small. Plus when you add fireproof underwear, or a coolshirt, you'll appreciate the extra room.

As an aside, I'm really happy with the suit itself
Old 11-28-2014, 07:16 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default suit sizes

Go larger. You can cinch in the belt if it's larger at the waist. Plus you don't want a smaller suit when sitting it can pull in the crotch area if it's too short

The omp one Evo is a slim cut suit so that would be my first recommendation

We have one or two adidas suits on closeout from 2013. They actually run a little small so a 56 might be the ticket for you

Alpinestars makes very nice gloves and boots but I'm not thrilled with their suits

I've always recommended going to the larger size for customers when they are in between sizes and it's usually the best choice 99% of the time

Good luck!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:59 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 164 Posts

I tried the OMP,an Alpine Stars and a Sparco before choosing the Sparco ... although i tried all three in the same size,they all fitted differently with the Sparco having longer sleeves than the other two.

I was lucky enough that the shop had a sitting room where they let you sit in a race seat set on a tire so you duplicate the seating position as if you would be in your car to see if you are comfortable.It made a whole difference in the feel for each suit ...

Cheers
Phil
Old 11-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Spec944 #143
Advanced

Thanks all for the responses.

Called Apex and ordered the Adidas suit today. went with the 56.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 AM
adidasmotorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Spec944 #143
Thanks all for the responses.

Called Apex and ordered the Adidas suit today. went with the 56.
Spec944 #143, we are very glad you got one of our suits from Apex Performance. They are doing a great job promoting our still new Racing line and we are sure you will be surprised when you try our suit, as you would if you try our underwear, shoes or gloves. Even if we still have not promoted the brand and products as we should, we know for sure the quality and level of protection our drivers are receiving when buying our products are one of a kind in our industry.

Thanks,

adidas///motorsport

Quick Reply: Need Help with Race Suit Sizing