Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow. A classic case of running out of talent...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 AM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
More like "decreasing radius". That's the most dangerous turn when you don't know one is coming.

Scott
Sounds like and have seen what happens at WSIR at turn 9 with newbies.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stupid ***.
But he didn't run out of talent, he never had any to begin with.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:49 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Stupid ***.
Agreed.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow that was nasty....

Interesting at how soon the side curtain deployed. The car must've hit something on the edge of the road and/or it deployed once it rolled so many degrees over (Midair).

I assume he lived based on it being posted. If that is the case, luck was on his side.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:17 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the real problem is people having more car than talent. Kids with wealthy parents that buy them these super sports cars and they quickly run out of the skill necessary to handle them at higher speeds. The same thing happens at the track with all us that can finally afford a fast car - and sometimes find out the hard way that we aren't as good as we think we are.

That is exactly the reason I am moving to a slower car without electronic nanny's for the track. I want to learn how to really drive and in a car that will give me a little more margin for error. It's a better (and safer) learning environment.

Of course I think what most of us realize - is driving like this is best saved for the track - not the road.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks like it happened last year. He probably waited until he got his insurance settlement before posting. Lets hope his agent likes to surf the net at work. Being stupid needs to hurt.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Kids with wealthy parents that buy them these super sports cars and they quickly run out of the skill necessary to handle them at higher speeds.
My aunt's neighbors bought their son a Ferrari for his 18th birthday, he died in a crash in less than a month.

Who was stupid in this case?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
^^ I'm very careful about playing with people on the street for this kind of reason. I once took a guy through a nasty bump on what is likely the most dangerous road on the west coast, he was in a 914, I was in a Honda CRX. I loved that bump (they kinda fixed it)...he backed off really quick after we went through it. I thought about it and realized I shouldn't ever do that again, I'd hate to see someone crash and wonder if they wouldn't had I not gone first.

Most people slow for this bump...I used it to throw the car deeper into the corner.

I hear you.

I was on some mountain twisty roads in my 997 a few years ago just having some fun. A sport bike followed me out of the gas station as I started up the first hill. I started pushing it a bit harder and he kept up just fine for a while. I pushed a little harder through the corners and he started falling back, catching up on the straights. A little faster and he started taking crazy chances. Then I went through a few corners that had gravel strewn all over them. Fun time is over pal. I pulled off before he went down.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:09 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Stupid ***.
Why on earth would ya'll pick on this guy. The car is at fault here.

He turned the wheel and nothing happened. How could he be blamed for this?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
My aunt's neighbors bought their son a Ferrari for his 18th birthday, he died in a crash in less than a month.

Who was stupid in this case?
Nice e46 M3's can be had for sub 20g, which is cheaper than a new camry. I'm not blaming parents for anything in this case.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
More like "decreasing radius". That's the most dangerous turn when you don't know one is coming.

Scott
Agreed, so why is it so many on & off ramps are made this way in this country?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
They are all clearly marked w/ yellow signs as to the recc. speed. If you deviate from that then...

Also they are designed to accommodate speeds coming off the highway with the assumption ppl are going to slow through the turn. There would be more accidents if the radius was reversed and the sharper part of the curve was directly off of the highway, IMO.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
I always assumed they were practice zones...

Or spots for weeding out the incompetent. I don't actually want to share the road with people who can't negotiate such ramps at street speeds.

Too many people only drive at freeway speeds because everyone else does.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:49 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Why on earth would ya'll pick on this guy. The car is at fault here.

He turned the wheel and nothing happened. How could he be blamed for this?
since you claim to be an instructor, Kai, I'll assume that you are unquestionably kidding us.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DM993tt

Nice e46 M3's can be had for sub 20g, which is cheaper than a new camry. I'm not blaming parents for anything in this case.
IMHO, it is more about who pays than how much. Kids who pay for their own cars take better care of them than kids who are given cars. I got my GTO when I was 15 - paid for it myself (been working since 13), paid for all of the restoration work and parts, etc. Drove it with much more respect than I did the hand-me-down VW Rabbit diesel L that I was given. No question the GTO was the nicer car, a whole lot faster, and probably less safe. I had several, um.....off-road excursions with the Rabbit that resulted in many bent control arms, and one bent rear axle beam. No issues with the GTO.

I commend Cannon on his decision to move to a slower car. Agree completely with his logic (though I'm starting to wish I had ABS on my track car).

Quick Reply: Wow. A classic case of running out of talent...