Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some safety questions (in light of Chin/RA)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

is carbon X better than nomex underwear?

what's the preferred fire system today?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:41 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't understand why everyone doesn't use a Halo seat in a dedicated track car. 6 point harness HANS is not an option.. 5 point?? How do you spell testicular rupture? How exactly does that heal?

When I get into a student's car with a 5 point I tell them to make sure its tight and they all see the light
Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I don't understand why everyone doesn't use a Halo seat in a dedicated track car.
In some car/driver combinations, a halo seat makes it very hard to get out of the car from the driver's side. Some drivers do not like to give up the visibility. Properly installed right and left side nets are adequate....

Scott
Old 10-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

And depending on the car, sometime's halo seats don't fit and stick out the window.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
is carbon X better ?
I think CarbonX (and Stand21) are vastly more comfortable, but are the same SFI rating for protection.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 759 Posts

IMO, HALO seats are a double-edged sword. On one hand, they unquestionably offer significantly more protection from other-that-full-head-on impacts. On the other hand, they really make it difficult to exit the car in a hurry in the event of a flash fire.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:47 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

VR - You are right.. I find Halo's a Chinese puzzle to get in. But I can dive out really quickly. I remember watching a video of some guy at VIR hitting oil at speed going into T1 and hitting HARD on the side. I think he would have been hurt without the Halo.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'll probably get flamed for this, but in my opinion, in a car that does not have a cage, the need for a suit is less since egress from the vehicle is typically much quicker than it is in a caged race car. Will a suit decrease your risk of getting burned? Yes of course. But the risk of that is much less in a street car, and in hot climates, using a suit increases your risk of dehydration and/or heat stroke.
Can't agree with you. Actually strongly disagree with you but, to each his own.

BTW, the comparison of street vs track car oversimplifies a very important aspect! The inertia of an incident does not change between street or track car.

If i were to oversimplify, I could say that a track car has less mass thus inertia but that would involve many other variables such as an assumption of similar speed. It is a fact that street cars can travel as fast as race cars and, they don't have fuel cells...

You make a very large assumption which is your ability to extricate yourself from a car, one that has sustained such level of damage or impact that results in a fire.

You can prepare for overheating or dehydration (i do a lot racing in the south...) or rehydrate if/as needed. Once you've burned it becomes more of a life or death situation.

May God bless you and keep you away from harms way. Me, i provide all the safety equipment available.

Last edited by Juan Lopez; 10-22-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: break paragraphs - argh Ipad
Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
is carbon X better than nomex underwear?

what's the preferred fire system today?
Mr. Bill, i regularly use both and find that Carbon X wicks moisture better but, like most technical fabrics like cool max, they tend to require different cleaning to remove odor.

I find that my carbon x u/w cleans well with Woolite.

Last edited by Juan Lopez; 10-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
I have had a racing equipment dealer talk me out of a multi-zone fire extinguisher system arguing that activating the system is a waste of time and that they are often not that effective anyway - his argument was to stop and get out of the car as fast as possible and then walk away in case of a fire, interested in what others think about this.
And although I am not required to have one, my specBox has a full system. In principal I agree with the dealer, if my car is on fire I'm outa there but......the day I can't get out I'm going to be glad I made my choice.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

^+1

They call them fire "suppression" systems for a reason. I figure the fire system is there to help me get out, the fire bottle is to save the car in a small fire once I'm out. I carry both, worth the weight IMHO... If you can afford it the new haylon systems are your best system. Don't discount a fire in a DE car. 944 fuel rails are notorious failure points, evenbon street cars...
Old 10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
For what it's worth, whenever I am coaching, I am in full safety gear.
When I'm driving, I'm in full gear. I don't do in-car coaching, partially for this reason.

Originally Posted by Arkadi
What medical is available at RA for a DE? One ambulance I presume?

I have never seen it mandatory at a DE to report to medical but it should be the rule as it is at most races.
Every major track requires as part of its rental contract at least a BLS (basic life support) and many require as part of the rental the on-site presence of an ALS (advanced life support) ambulance and crew. Their insurance requires it (the track's policy) and this has been standard practice for over a decade. Now, different tracks have different EMS protocols...
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

fwiw, (posted on RLOT)

(summary: kid is burned on 80% of body after crashing his 18 yr old birthday gift. (F430)

*the point is, street cars burn too, if you crash them hard enough.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/t...ns-in-a/nShLf/

ps: I need to look at cool max underwear next... (already have some carbon X)
Old 10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Skypalace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I won't drive a car on-track without all safety equipment. I could care less what others think. I have the suit and gloves and shoes, so I'd be silly not to wear them. I have a light Sparco suit, but have cool suit in my race car (birthday gift from my fabulous wife, along with a ChaseCam another year...).

I've also stopped instructing at DE's. One too many drivers that have no idea how far over their head they are, and clearly don't value their own safety, let along that of a passenger.

The one other safety thing you might want to think about is a fuel cell. Sure they're expensive, but you can get them used if you look. I got my 996 Cup cell used from a pro team that had one season on it, for about half the cost of a new one. For DE use (or non-enduro race use) you won't need the double top redhead fittings, so can save quite a bit there also by plumbing to the standard fuel door.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
helmet got nothng to do with that, if you run in any non-containment seat, with hans or without, a strong side impact may and will, most likely, cause a serious injury.
Has anyone seen data to support this? Not trying to start an argument, but I've never seen any data. We've all seen the data on the various neck devices in a front hit but I don't think I've ever seen any seat data. It's seems intuitive and logical, but I'd love to see some data. In particular, I'm curious because I would assume there is seat deformity that happens in a high G impact. I'm wondering if certain seat construction would be more effective than others.

Quick Reply: Some safety questions (in light of Chin/RA)