Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wants to drive in the ADAC 24Hr at the Nurburgring this year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Who wants to drive in the ADAC 24Hr at the Nurburgring this year?

Hey fellow Rennlisters. I'm a US contractor working and living in Germany. I have made some great friends in my numerous trips to the Nurburgring and one of them is fielding a car in this season's VLN. For those that aren't familiar with it, the VLN series is a set of 11 endurance races on the Nurburgring ranging from 4hours up through the biggest event, the 24H race in June.

We have one spot left for someone interested in driving the 24H at the Nurburgring this June. If you have a current SCCA national license, you can get an international license to compete in the series. If you don't have a license, but have track experience and willing you can still get your license over here.

We will be campaigning a 2010 Renault Sport Clio Cup car. This car has been so popular in the last few years, that it will be in its own class in the VLN series. The goal of the team is to have fun and finish all the races, thats it. Please PM me if you are interested. I can email the team proposal and answer any questions. There is a minimum amount of competition time on the nurburgring to be eligible to compete in the 24H. We also have spots available to drive VLN races during the 2011 season without competing in the 24H race.

Sorry its not a Porsche Cup, but this is probably the most economical way to get into the drivers seat in competition on the ring. All the drivers on the team are porsche drivers however so we have the proper screws loose.

Thanks for reading.

-Jim
Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn!!! That sounds killer!!! What a freegin opportunity. I am going to racing school this March to get an SCCA license. This is totally over my head at this point as I would want some racing experience under my belt before doing this. But Man!!! Does this sound enticing! Congrats to you for being able to do this!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
Hey fellow Rennlisters. I'm a US contractor working and living in Germany. I have made some great friends in my numerous trips to the Nurburgring and one of them is fielding a car in this season's VLN. For those that aren't familiar with it, the VLN series is a set of 11 endurance races on the Nurburgring ranging from 4hours up through the biggest event, the 24H race in June.

We have one spot left for someone interested in driving the 24H at the Nurburgring this June. If you have a current SCCA national license, you can get an international license to compete in the series. If you don't have a license, but have track experience and willing you can still get your license over here.

We will be campaigning a 2010 Renault Sport Clio Cup car. This car has been so popular in the last few years, that it will be in its own class in the VLN series. The goal of the team is to have fun and finish all the races, thats it. Please PM me if you are interested. I can email the team proposal and answer any questions. There is a minimum amount of competition time on the nurburgring to be eligible to compete in the 24H. We also have spots available to drive VLN races during the 2011 season without competing in the 24H race.

Sorry its not a Porsche Cup, but this is probably the most economical way to get into the drivers seat in competition on the ring. All the drivers on the team are porsche drivers however so we have the proper screws loose.

Thanks for reading.

-Jim

Costs?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

To qualify for the 24 Hour one needs to have been classified (finished) in three VLN races or in two VLN races and complete the compulsory drivers' training just before the 24 Hour. You can see the details here: http://adac.24h-rennen.de/uploads/me...ng_2011_02.pdf

This is a very cool thing to contemplate, and maybe do!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
To qualify for the 24 Hour one needs to have been classified (finished) in three VLN races or in two VLN races and complete the compulsory drivers' training just before the 24 Hour. You can see the details here: http://adac.24h-rennen.de/uploads/me...ng_2011_02.pdf

This is a very cool thing to contemplate, and maybe do!
Understatement of the year! I emailed you along with several others with the info. Not too many opportunities like this around at the price point.
-jim
Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Costs?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
seat time for 3 VLN races and the 24H race depend on which races of course and number of drivers but its around 20K €. PM me your email and I'll send you the details if you are interested.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:45 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

oh for those who have no idea wtf a clio cup is, here is video of one in a VLN race. sequential straight cut gears, NA 205hp, 2200lbs. A fellow rennlister here has raced them and he affectionately calls it by far the most “RWD” front wheel drive car in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fivn2dGFGRI
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 69 Posts

Hmmmmm.......I have about 25 laps on the Nordschleife... about the same number on the GP Strecke....Been to a couple of DE's.....So all I need to do is:

Go to racing school.
Get a provisional license.
Race some races.
Get a full license.
Apply for and get international license.
Race in two of the short VLN races without destroying the team's car.
Go to the compulsory Ring school.
And BAM! I am in the ADAC 24H!!!!

Oh, and find 20,000 euro....Actually the money is looking like the easy part

Really a fantastic offer; if I work hard, maybe I can be ready in 2015....
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Go for it Michael. Just get Sabine to sign you off
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 782 Posts

Stuff of dreams!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by facelvega
Hmmmmm.......I have about 25 laps on the Nordschleife... about the same number on the GP Strecke....Been to a couple of DE's.....So all I need to do is:

Go to racing school.
Get a provisional license.
Race some races.
Get a full license.
Apply for and get international license.
Race in two of the short VLN races without destroying the team's car.
Go to the compulsory Ring school.
And BAM! I am in the ADAC 24H!!!!

Oh, and find 20,000 euro....Actually the money is looking like the easy part

Really a fantastic offer; if I work hard, maybe I can be ready in 2015....
Actually the list is shorter than that. you are pretty close on the costs. I ran the race in an E36 M3. I completed 2 VLN races, the N24, and a 3rd VLN this past September.

this is a link to the blog on my experience.

http://jimandthering.blogspot.com/20...rburgring.html

For anyone interested in racing at the Nürburgring (just one race or several including the N24) or even just going for a ride in a race car during practice. (working on securing a GT3 Cup for next season) let me know and I'll be glad to help you make that happen. All it takes is determination.

-Jim
Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing Jim. Have you done this again since 2011?

I would like to run in a 4-hour VLN race next year. Do you have any advice? I've been to the Ring almost every year since 2006 and previously had my FIA license (which I need to renew, or get my national A license).

I've seen some advice here too, which I'm sharing the link for in case any others are interested:
http://www.rsrnurburg.com/product/race-the-nuerburgring
Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wanted to bug you again (in case you're getting notifications) and ask about your experience?
Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,475 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I'll check and see if my DE sponsors have deep enough pockets to fund a European season.

In all seriousness, this looks like a bucket list type of opportunity. I'm surprised a RL member with deep pockets and experience has not scooped up this offer already.

Quick Reply: Who wants to drive in the ADAC 24Hr at the Nurburgring this year?