Sponsored by:

Enclosed Aluminum Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:29 PM
txhansen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed Aluminum Trailer Question

I have made the decision that I need to move to an enclosed trailer finally but really want to avoid buying yet another vehicle (ie 3/4 ton diesel). Anyone have any experience hauling a 24' aluminum enclosed trailer with a 1/2 Yukon XL / Suburban? My truck list towing capacity at 7,700 pounds and I feel I will be right about at that number by the time I add my Spec Boxster, tools, tires, cabinets, generator, AC etc.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:29 PM
snook...
6th Gear

with a 24....its more difficult to even out the weight....

generally, try keeping the tow weight at 70% max....

rcohen here on the board tows his boxter and gts3 porsche in a 24...not sure what his tow vehicle is.

you'd just have to be careful in what you carry on board....

im towing a 30 foot enclosed with a 3/4 ton 2500 diesel...does the job fine.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Modoc
Instructor

I had until recently towed my GT3 in an ATC 24' with all the extras with a 08 Sequoia, wt distrib hitch and sway control. Had no problems. Could move easily with interstate traffic .
May be selling my trailer in a few months if interested.

Joe D
Old 08-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Giacomo
Pro

A fellow racer and autoshop owner in Canada tows his 30' enclosed steel trailer with his 6-speed Cayenne (ie. the six cylinder model), which is also rated at 7,700lbs (as are all Cayenne models). Although the brakes on the Cayenne are probably better than on a 1/2 ton, you likely have more torque and maybe a stronger tranny.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 PM
txhansen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Modoc
I had until recently towed my GT3 in an ATC 24' with all the extras with a 08 Sequoia, wt distrib hitch and sway control. Had no problems. Could move easily with interstate traffic .
May be selling my trailer in a few months if interested.

Joe D
Care to share why you are no longer towing with the Sequoia? Have you changed the tow vehicle or did something else change. It appears you are quite a ways from Texas but I may be interested in your trailer.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:48 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by snook...
rcohen here on the board tows his boxter and gts3 porsche in a 24...not sure what his tow vehicle is.
I am using a 2001 F250 Deisel. I've tried it with my '07 Expedition with a 10K towing capacity and was not happy with the result. The issue is not weight, its the wheel base. IMO, the wheelbase on a SUV is too short for a 24' trailer. Having a semi pass you isn't much fun with an SUV. The XL version helps, but probably still marginal.

Rich - Glen Gatlin had a very nice aluminum trailer for sale a short time ago, you might check with him. It was shorter than 24ft so you will lose some storage capacity but it would tow fine behind an SUV. I probably would not want to go much past 20 feet without a longer wheelbase truck to pull it.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

We towed a 22' V nosed ATC trailer (with a spec Miata inside) with our Cayenne S with PASM. Main issue was with mirrors and visibility but the Cayenne itself did fine once we figured out how many lights on the trailer it would "allow." (there are endless threads on the Cayenne forum about that issue...)

Wouldn't think a 1/2 ton pickup would be an issue...except for maybe brakes which can be upgraded. We towed it once with a friend's Nissan Titan- the truck did fine but the brakes on it left a lot to be desired when towing...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:54 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

Present tow vehicle- trailer size is not an issue...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Modoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by txhansen
Care to share why you are no longer towing with the Sequoia? Have you changed the tow vehicle or did something else change. It appears you are quite a ways from Texas but I may be interested in your trailer.
I still use the Seq to tow my trailer. The past tense refers to the fact that I no longer have a _car to tow to the track . Consequently will very likely be selling the trailer in the next month or so.
Joe D
Old 08-13-2009, 03:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i towed a 4000# enclosed trailer (just trailer, empty inside) with pepper GTS on flat fwy for 100 miles. the next day, i bought a GMC 2500.

you can tow just about anything with any car you want. but try to drive by a semi at 60mph, cross a long windy bridge, trying to climb 8% grade, any emergency maneuver....

Last edited by mooty; 05-26-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

In addition to checking towing capacity, check the payload capacity closely. With the proper amount of tongue weight and a safety margin I have found that most 1/2 ton pickups have no capacity left for passengers. That's just by the manufacturer's numbers--not personal experience.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey there.
I did tow a 24' with our Suburban for awhile...
It can do it & always made it to where I was going, but it was tough.
Pulling the trailer isn't the issue...turning, other big things passing & the motion/movement from the trailer passed onto the Suburban is.
I tried stiffer springs/shocks, special hitch & even helper springs.
Didn't realize how bad it was until I just broke down & got a truck.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

I tow a 24 ft. V-nose Featherlite with a 5.3 L 2003 Suburban. My trailer is usually about 7,500 pounds and I did tow it at 8100 pounds once. In stock form the
brakes and engine are marginal going through the mountains. I have had the ECU flashed, installed Bilstein rear springs with air bags, Bilstein front and rear shocks. I recently installed Michelin LTX 10 ply truck tires that have a max inflation of 80 psi. I use the Reese 1,200 lb Strait-Line Weight Distribution Hitch Kit which consists of a Dual Cam High-Performance Sway Control and a High-Performance Weight Distribution System, part #66084.

I really like the ability to carry people and all our gear inside the Sub. It's long wheelbase is really needed. If I was doing it again I would choose the 2500 with a bigger engine but the cost is higher. On a daily basis my truck is just fine and with the mods it has towed pretty well. It's towed about 15,000 miles over the past three years. It's a compromise at best, unless you only drive your truck when towing. Sort of like modifying your street car versus a dedicated track car.

Bill
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

had featherlite 24 enclosed with my GMC Denali which worked great. MPG was fairly low, I think around 7-8. It had the 6.0L and self leveling OEM shocks. I would still have it but some @ss stole it a few years ago.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I tow a Featherlite 24 ft, grosses out at about 10K with the car, tools, fuel and spares (you always start adding more when you have an empty space to fill). Started towing it with a 1500 4WD Blazer. It was lighter then. Lots of sway, used the friction style anti-sway, it was a handful. Upgraded to a 2500 2WD Suburban with a 454, along with changing to the cam style antisway--much better but really poor mileage (6-7) and I was out pulled by any diesel truck. Now tow with a 3500 4WD DRW Duramax truck. No comparison. No sway issues (still using the cams). Great torque, great brakes. Never know a truck is beside me until I see his cab. Of course, it's designed as a tow vehicle. My wife drove the Blazer some, but never drove the Sub and says if I make her drive the truck it will be in the ditch. But I really like this truck for towing.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Aluminum Trailer Question