Sponsored by:

DIY Towing for Boxster - Will Wood Hitch & Utility Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts
Default DIY Towing for Boxster - Will Wood Hitch & Utility Trailer

I posted this in the 986 forum but I thought I would X-post it here for anyone that is interested in using a utility trailer.

I got a lot of advice from ltc and others so THANKS! The utility trailer I got previously belonged to dmilzoff.

Here's my DIY post:

My 986 has become my little track toy so I equipped it with a utility trailer as others have done. I use the trailer to carry an extra set of tires and critical tools and fluids for track days. This frees up both trunks in the Boxster which can then be used for luggage and coolers and other important items!
The trailer works great and I just added a bike rack to it so my wife will be able to bike around the countrside when she doesn't feel like doing DE driving.

I thought I would do a basic installation write up for anyone else thinking about doing it. I opted for the non-hidden dual receiver hitch from www.willwoodsystem.com. Will also makes a hidden hitch which goes behind the license plate which I will likely add to my 997. I believe the hitch was about $440 delivered. I think just about anyone can do this install themselves and it took me about 1.5 hours taking my time and drinking Diet Coke.

The hitch appears to be high quality and it works perfectly. All you need to do is add a trailer ball and a trailer!

Here's how it works:

1) Take off the 6mm allen bolt from the bottom of each bumperette.

2) This is what is behind the bumperette:

3) The templates supplied by Will are simply post-it notes. I scanned copies of these into my computer in case I 'screwed' up. Attach the templates as shown. I secured them with tape and then drilled right through them.

4) Drill two 13/32 holes as shown on the templates. Start by drilling with 3/16, then 9/32 to make it easier. BTW, I had no idea there was such a thing as 13/32 but I assure you it exists. Do yourself a favor and buy a bit that's meant to drill through metal otherwise you'll be there forever.

5) Bolt on the receiver plate:

6) Make sure each side is level before tightening up the bolts:

7) Notch out part of the bumperette so that it fits around the receiver bracket and reattach the bumperettes.

8) The finished product shown on/off car.

9) Add a trailer and now your Boxster is a big rig towing machine!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Default Wiring for Utility Trailer

To wire the Boxster for use with my trailer, I used the excellent write up at http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/trailer/ to do the wiring for my trailer. You need to buy a 5 to 4 wire adapter as shown in my pics. This is a fairly easy DIY and involves removing some trim in the trunk and clipping into various tail light wires. I used Radioshack wire taps which worked perfectly.

Again, all the info you need is in the BombayDigital link. If you are here on RL, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

My pics are a bit clearer so here they are,……

Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Do you haul it with the weight of that box hanging out back like that or was that just for the picture? I would think you would want it located to give a small amount of tongue weight (just forward of the wheel centerline) but as i've never had a trailer like that it's just a guess.

Nice write up!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Do you haul it with the weight of that box hanging out back like that or was that just for the picture? I would think you would want it located to give a small amount of tongue weight (just forward of the wheel centerline) but as i've never had a trailer like that it's just a guess.

Nice write up!
Thanks Gary.
I store 4 tires on the front part and when it's hooked up to the car it has a bunch of tools/fluids in the chest. It's quite well balanced and always weights toward the tongue and not the back.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:22 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Great write-up, and an excellent solution that will serve you well... right up until you buy a Trailex. And at that point you can sell the entire setup. Ask me how I know... Seriously though, this is a great way to get to and from the track with a double-duty street-legal track car.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Great write-up, and an excellent solution that will serve you well... right up until you buy a Trailex. And at that point you can sell the entire setup. Ask me how I know... Seriously though, this is a great way to get to and from the track with a double-duty street-legal track car.
Thanks Mike.
I haven't forgotten the 10-step progression. We are toying with the idea of getting a trailer. It would be great to be able to forget about mechanical troubles or accidents and to have the Cayenne to tour around with over track weekends. I think my wife would certainly enjoy the freedom of being able to drive around while I'm at events.
To be continued.....
Old 08-09-2009, 05:05 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great write up and the photos make it very clear ! +1

does anyone know if its similar / as easy on a 987 Boxster ?
Old 08-09-2009, 05:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice write up, thanks for posting.

BTW, a UniBit (step drill bit) is a very handy thing to have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...P1XHMMY0NJ9GHZ

A set of these (they come in various 'step' sizes) was an absolute essential in the trailer for karting. They go thru metal with little problems using a portable cordless drill/driver.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad

Dave, I know where you can get a quality trailer at a great price.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I may be mistaken but I think you might have to add some reinforcement bumperette parts on the newer Porsche models such as 987. Shoot Will Wood an email and ask him. There's a Cayman S that runs with my PCA chapter that has the Will Wood hitch so I know it's definitely possible.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Very nice write up, thanks for posting.

BTW, a UniBit (step drill bit) is a very handy thing to have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...P1XHMMY0NJ9GHZ

A set of these (they come in various 'step' sizes) was an absolute essential in the trailer for karting. They go thru metal with little problems using a portable cordless drill/driver.
Thanks (as always) Lewis. I just ordered that set for my toolbox.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Coochas
Thanks Mike.
I haven't forgotten the 10-step progression. We are toying with the idea of getting a trailer. It would be great to be able to forget about mechanical troubles or accidents..
Not that I speak from experience, but owning/pulling a trailer introduces its own challenges. Four more wheels, brakes, axles, tires. No doubt a trailer increases your odds of getting home from the track; but it may actually reduce your odds of getting there!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Dave, I know where you can get a quality trailer at a great price.
Funny guy ... more the hitch I'm wondering about right now ...
Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Funny guy ... more the hitch I'm wondering about right now ...
Can't blame a guy for trying ...
Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
terrybiker
1st Gear

hi, newbie here,,,,,,,,,,,i have a question for you,,,im in uk so we dont have those "bumper pads" over here,,,,,,,and forgive me for being stupid,,but did you just bolt the trailer hitch to the alloy bumper bar?
ive mailed will wood systems for a price to deliver a hitch to the uk, but not had a reply(apart from one from his wife when he was poorly,,hope he's better now),so decided to make my own. today i stripped back down(2002 boxter s),and found the 2 bumper mounting points to be a bit "iffy" to risk just bolting a hitch to the bumper.
i intend to pull a folding caravan,max weight around 950kgs,and wouldnt like to pull a small trailer with them the way they are. i will get mine strengthened.
so am i right in thinking the USA versions have bumper pads fitted to the alloy bumper? as the pictures i see give me that impression?? or do they fit to the chassis??
any feedback most welcome,good or bad.
they sure look good with a trailer on though.
many thanks.
Terry
oh, ive taken pics on my mobile of my afternoons dissmantling and will post them if anyone wants to see what i mean?
Drive safe.

Quick Reply: DIY Towing for Boxster - Will Wood Hitch & Utility Trailer