Sponsored by:

Manual steering rack q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 04:00 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Manual steering rack q's

Who's gone to one? Anybody have any input on what to expect at the track with a manual rack? I was really wanting to do this for a.) weight (but not as much as) b.) tighter steer/feel.

I have spent the last year working a lot on steering inputs and getting smooth. I wondered if this would make a difference. My basic goals (and tell me if I am looking in the right direction here) are to not waste any additional power driving the p/s pump (already using a UDP there), to have a tighter lock to lock (would a manual rack from a 924 do this?) and to have a heavier feel (more realistic feel is really more it but still sounds screwy). Basically on the last one, I had a 2nd gen RX-7 that seemed much more proportionate regarding steering input and amount the car turned.

Any thoughts?

BTW, the car in question is a pretty tightly sprung 1987 944-S.
Old 06-03-2001, 06:14 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs down

I've tried a manual rack on a 944.

On track it's not very bad for a few laps, but gets tiresome after about 30 min (and I can bench 225+lbs ), on auto-x courses it's simply unbearable.

The 944's steering system (as with other Porsches) is superb IMO, it just needs a little getting used to. Also, I don't know how much experience you have with the 944 at high speeds, but the gearing for the rack actually feels just right to me once you get to the upper speed ranges.

I would not recommend switching to a manual rack, for any reason. Also, the 924 steering rack is a bit weaker compared to the 944/968 racks, another thing to worry about.

Hope this helps your decision.
Ahmet
Old 07-09-2001, 10:49 PM
IPC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try driving the car without the belt to see if you like it. The manual rack has a longer distance from lock to lock. The power unit is shorter, of course. I race a 944 with a power rack with the pump removed and have absolutely no problems. You need to loop the hoses to keep fluid in the rack but that is it. I run about 3 deg. neg. camber and it is easier to steer than a 944 with power steering. I like the close ratio of the power rack but I don't like the HP loss of the pump. Try the no belt trick and see if you like it. It cost nothing. Happy Driving.

Quick Reply: Manual steering rack q's